Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spacebourne 2: The [adjective] child of many space games  (Read 3108 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacebourne 2: The [adjective] child of many space games
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2023, 09:47:08 am »

I wasn't very impressed, I ended up refunding it.

The NPCs at the start just stand there like dummies. The AI is terrible, I went through the tutorial and the enemies just rush you and stand and shoot. No crouching behind anything, couldn't see a crouch button and I looked at the controls. And considering AI doesn't do that, it probably isn't a thing. The ship combat was also very easy. I mean its just the tutorial, but with a 2 hour window, thats the only thing I needed to see before my 2 hour window was up.

Unimmersive, very bad AI. Terrible gunplay as bad as the AI is. That was my impression, and first impressions kinda do matter a lot on steam if...you only have two hours to impress. Just seeing tons of NPCs standing there doing nothing is too game breaking for me. Even if they were dumb AI like in assassin's creed games...at least they DO stuff. And why can't I crouch...like...every FPS game lets you do? I guess DOOM you can't (the older ones anyway haven't played the new ones), but thats a very low bar (even if older DOOM games super fun) lol.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 09:49:42 am by The_Explorer »

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2023, 11:53:49 am »

This is why when I was young I would just pirate games to try them out (also before steak gave refunds) and then if I liked the game I'd buy it later.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2023, 12:34:15 pm »

I was contracted for the past months (a week or two after opening this thread) to help out the game (primarily with bugtracking and QA when time allows). The dev seems intent on seeing this through to the end, although it's hard to say necessarily what his priorities and their order are. He has his own way to push it forward, but IMO it has been healthily moving forward.
He's a very chill and wholesome dude. He clearly felt the pressure from being a relatively tiny/small community of Beta Testers from the first game, to blowing up and getting the same or more views on Youtube than videos from things like Starfield or Star Citizen, which I seriously doubt he ever wanted to "challenge". He just wanted to make a sequel that had sandbox/open-world gameplay and more procedural generation than the first one, and boom.

There's definitely a lot to do and fix for it to become a complete whole, not to say a polished one that is really worth playing for more hardcore and seasoned space-people. I still see a lot of potential on it, especially if he goes after extending Construction features into being able to build on planets, and including ground battles with different units, as well as making planets more unique. Overall, he can go anywhere he wants with this. So much so people requested some features (which wasn't the right moment to add IMHO) like Capital Ships and big ships like a Carrier and he went on to add it. I've also had a chance to propose an addition and alternatives (limb damage and dismemberment, similar to Kenshi) and the dude went silent for a few hours and only came back when that stuff was working.

Ignoring any current poor implementations - as those can simply have their code edited, a new build released, and everything gets changed/improved - my only worry design-wise is the contrast between the more complex and hardcore allure of Faction/Empire-building, with the Arcade-style FPS and Ship combat. I believe the game could do better if it took the direction of Mount and Blade in Space and decided between an Arcade or Hardcore audience. The game's design seems to beg for that.
Right now, Arcade people enjoy the fast-paced progression and gameplay, but hit a brick wall with later features (e.g. Faction warfare).
Meanwhile, Hardcore people would rather remove all the RPG elements and make combat more intricate and involved (no levels, damage models for spaceships and ground units, add more "weight" to everything, etc).

Although I really love hybrid games in both design and concept, all my favorite games have probably bumped into this and all pretty much decided which kind of people they'd cater to. Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Kenshi, Space Rangers 2.. I'm sure they knew they weren't going to be casual material.
It's interesting to see an indie game try to tackle the issue and sit in-between groups of people, but usually it's a struggle that costs way more time and money than its worth for an indie title, which takes away from the finished product potential.
Last time I remember a project force its hand (and its design) to keep its made-for-casuals label was X Rebirth..

Of course..this is just a theory. A game theory.
(vomits)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 12:38:02 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 [2]