Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Six Ages/King of Dragon Pass  (Read 28642 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Six Ages/King of Dragon Pass
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2018, 07:12:17 pm »

My read is the former as well. Maybe there's more on the dev blog that elucidates what that means. The only concrete example is the farming mechanics, which at a glance, do seem simpler while still faithful to the original idea in KoDP.There's also supposedly more meat in combat.

I'm wondering what else can/was simplified though. In my recollection the next most complex thing was like.....trade and diplomacy? Which was really just a matter of "who, talking to who, asking for what, offering what." Doesn't seem to be much room for simplification there, unless they like make it so bad stuff doesn't happen during travel so you don't need guards, etc....

Maybe they just mean there are fewer village screens and what's being done on those screens is simpler. Like maybe villager job distribution and weaponthanes and jazz like that.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:20:38 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2018, 02:36:59 am »

You could do all diplomacy from one screen and only get an illustrated event if something weird happens.  That would be simpler.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

JanPospisil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2018, 05:03:16 pm »

(disclamer: I worked on the game as an artist)

I'll quote myself from another forum, because people were wondering about similar stuff there as well:

I see this pop up in various places and it's hard to address. Due to the way scenes are procedurally chosen, it's not easy to directly measure the two games side by side. (or by counting content elements etc., they do not work exactly the same way internally)

I'd say (and I'm not David, but I did work on the thing from start to finish.):

It's NOT - "We made this normal size game and chopped it up into bite sized DLC chunks."
Its more like - "Hey, we made this game. That worked! Maybe we can make....ooooh, FIVE MORE! YEAAAAH!"

"6A:Ride Like the Wind" is a full game, there's nothing chopped off.
It's not "episodic", but if everything works out, there will be sequels.

The game is KoDP-like. Not exactly the same, similar. And it's out now. (well, it might be depending on where you are in the world.)

The talk of sequels was mostly just expressing the hope we'll get to create them, not a scheme to make people invested in a series (and I guess overlook some flaws in the first one?).
The game works on its own.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2018, 05:30:35 pm »

Aww. It's iOS only.  :'(

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2018, 06:11:12 pm »

Until next year-ish, at least.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2018, 11:10:52 pm »

-Snip-

Okie doke, so it would be best to view this as it's own experience then, right? If so, I'm still going to look forward to giving it a shot when it gets a computer release.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

alakoring

• Bay Watcher
  • Developer of King of Dragon Pass and Six Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2018, 12:28:40 pm »

it would be best to view this as it's own experience then, right?
Yes.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2018, 01:01:00 pm »

Sweet. So more or less, think not of something being taken away, but more along the idea of that a novelist wanting to write a long story doesn't stop at one book. Similarly, the vision for Six Ages stretches out beyond this one and while each individual work will still hold up well to scrutiny, it would have cheapened the project by trying to stuff all six games into one.

Also, while we do have an artist popping in, I want to add that you guys do fantastic work. All of the art that has been for both this release and in old KoDP has been pretty top notch, so keep up the good work.
BIRDS.

Lokamayadon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2018, 04:06:23 pm »

Would anyone here with Six Ages be interrested in a participatory Let's Play in the tradition of those of King of Dragon Pass?
Something Awful and other forums made quite a few of these because of the same CYOA aspect of the game and I think that it would be fun to do it again with Six Ages, moreso with only people with an iOS device having access to the game until 2019.

The principle is basically to take screenshots and let the audience make the decisions by vote.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...0&pagenumber=1 is a good example.

I can't do it myself because I don't have any iOS device but I still like to pitch the idea.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2018, 04:43:29 pm »

TBH I'd play this on iOS, but I don't own an iPad, just Kindle. And the idea of playing a game as rich as something like KoDP on my phone sounds like a good way to ruin the experience for myself.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2018, 09:17:44 pm »

I believe that there may be some IOS simulators out there, so you may not be out of luck yet.
BIRDS.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2018, 10:02:07 pm »

A collaborative let's play (as with the Runic Men) would be cool.

I believe that there may be some IOS simulators out there, so you may not be out of luck yet.
I doubt I'm alone in being wary of buying something that can only be made to work through such dodgy methods.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2018, 04:24:25 am »

I just got it and after 15 minutes it feels like a better interfaced King of Dragon pass. The art is somewhat inconsistent, and the visual style feels like it varies wildly, but the writing is good and everything feels comfortable and familiar.

I can easily see why they want multiple games--they have an engine and just need to crank out events, which means that the multi-step structure is favorable for plot development in the vein of "and now for something completely different"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 12:36:30 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2018, 09:47:10 am »

Does it feel like the kind of game you can get 20+ hours of gameplay out of a single play through? I slow played the hell out of KoDP so that game lasted me forever. You get the same sense from this?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2018, 12:35:17 pm »

Does it feel like the kind of game you can get 20+ hours of gameplay out of a single play through? I slow played the hell out of KoDP so that game lasted me forever. You get the same sense from this?

Definitely does, it is basically the same sort of game, but with you playing the Horse people instead of the Orlanthi (Orlanthi are actually a potential main enemy), what feels like an improved interface and all new events.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10