Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Six Ages/King of Dragon Pass  (Read 28637 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Six Ages/King of Dragon Pass
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2016, 05:06:53 am »

I think playing a warmonger was supposed to be its own form of population control. The alignment of your tribe to war, balanced or peace really dictated how you were supposed to behave. When you're a balanced tribe who is succeeding a lot at war and domestically kicking ass, the controls set in. When you're a war tribe who is doing really well (or savescumming), the same happens.

What I didn't like is how hard it was to actually wipe some tribes out. I've done it before, but like so much in the game it seemed totally random when it would kick off. I think I raided the Deer Tribe like 15 times and went all out on them, without ever destroying them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2016, 05:14:26 am »

What I didn't like is how hard it was to actually wipe some tribes out. I've done it before, but like so much in the game it seemed totally random when it would kick off. I think I raided the Deer Tribe like 15 times and went all out on them, without ever destroying them.

It makes perfect sense if you understand it from what the game is trying to project.

Wars between the tribe members are not actually war. People die but the main goal of the war isn't to kill, in fact you are meant to avoid it, but rather to procure resources.

To wipe out a tribe is kind of against the idea.

---

Though to admit... The game doesn't tell you what I am saying very well... The game can be very obtuse about its themes.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2016, 05:57:07 am »

It makes perfect sense if you understand it from what the game is trying to project.

Wars between the tribe members are not actually war. People die but the main goal of the war isn't to kill, in fact you are meant to avoid it, but rather to procure resources.

---

Though to admit... The game doesn't tell you what I am saying very well... The game can be very obtuse about its themes.

Probably this. It's worth noting however that you can eject any neighboring tribes that are adjacent to you and take their land for your own. Waging war on some far off foe is largely useless, but picking on those damned ducks is always good for fun and profit.

Also terror, since they are also apparently pint-sized badasses who worship Humakti. I hope the ducks come back in Six Ages.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2016, 06:04:08 am »

---

Raiding is something that just happens in the Orlanthi, if you are too weak to care for your resources then another, better person can care for them. The Wars are a better test of each others strength and skill.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2016, 06:27:12 am »

Holy shit so it actually IS possible? I thought it was something that literally could never happen.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2016, 06:38:04 am »

I especially like how most quest answer are based on your ancestor, spirit standing and so many thing it always keep you on your toes, as it's rare to do the same quest and have the right path same as before

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2016, 09:49:30 am »

Also terror, since they are also apparently pint-sized badasses who worship Humakti. I hope the ducks come back in Six Ages.
Yeah, the ducks are awesome. As are pretty nearly all the art in their events (there is one where a guy is mimicking a beak with his hand while a duck is looking the other way, though you need to hide the text box to see it).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2016, 09:51:11 am »

Ducks are mandatory.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2016, 09:57:25 am »

Yeah, the ducks are awesome. As are pretty nearly all the art in their events (there is one where a guy is mimicking a beak with his hand while a duck is looking the other way, though you need to hide the text box to see it).
The insta-lose event for killing too many of them, though, not so awesome.

I hope playing a warmonger is more viable in Six Ages. If I have total military supremacy, I should really be allowed to do whatever I want. Unite the lands as a warlord and forge a crown and throne of iron from the blades of my enemies and all that.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2016, 10:02:50 am »

The insta-lose event for killing too many of them, though, not so awesome.
Why would you kill the ducks? What is wrong with you?

That said, I hope they drop the insta-lose events.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2016, 12:47:36 pm »

I recall King of Dragon pass as a great open ended game - that had a non-open path to victory/getting ahead. Maybe this will allow some more playing around.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2016, 01:00:25 pm »

The insta-lose events are good and make sense. The Orlanthi are not the big dogs of the universe, and if you antagonize people who can field armies instead of skirmishes then the result should be obvious.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2016, 01:02:04 pm »

The insta-lose events are good and make sense. The Orlanthi are not the big dogs of the universe, and if you antagonize people who can field armies instead of skirmishes then the result should be obvious.

if there's some antagonizing before then it's not instadeath

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2016, 04:28:33 pm »

And, to be fair, they do warn you that it's not going to be pretty if you keep antagonizing them. So, one can't say it's really out of the blue.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2016, 04:37:07 pm »

Holy shit so it actually IS possible? I thought it was something that literally could never happen.

I think so. It may be what birdy described, absorbing their territory and they reappear on the map somewhere else far away.

But I definitely recall attacking a tribe one time and they vanished. I remember being utterly surprised at the occurrence.

Likewise, actually getting another tribe to agree to cessation of hostilities is really difficult. Or at least, random. There's times I've hammered the same tribe into the dirt and they refuse every offer to end the war. Then I raid a tribe once or twice and they come to me begging to end hostilities. *shrug* I'd like just a little more consistency in SA, or at least a better sense of why these things do or don't happen. I think that's the only thing that makes KoDP not pretty much the ultimate narrative story telling game, is that you can't say for sure why a lot of game play events occur the way they do. You can certainly fill in your own reasons for why stuff happens, but from a mechanical perspective a lot of it just seems to be random.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10