Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Six Ages/King of Dragon Pass  (Read 28630 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Six Ages/King of Dragon Pass
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2018, 06:04:35 am »

Pre-order now and get an exclusive Quacker death knight!

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2018, 10:34:24 am »

Presumably sequels are doddle to develop, technically speaking, given possession of the game's decision-tree engine.
So given the original's popularity it wouldn't make any business sense to only plan for a single sequel.

But what exactly is meant by the game being made simpler?   He specifically mentions food production.

Was food production unnecessarily complicated in KODP?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2018, 12:10:07 pm »

Yes and no.

You had your total village foot print. This foot print was divided into cultivated lands (for food), pasture lands (for live stock to graze on) and wild lands (for hunting.)

After setting how your land was distributed, you then further divided up the cultivated land between two? crops I believe? A higher yielding crop like wheat that suffered in bad agricultural years and low yielding crop Rye iirc which was less subject to bad agricultural years.

You generally only needed to tweak these values every so often, and for me it was to always bump up my pasture lands when my herds were getting too large. There were also other small effects like higher pasture land making it easier to spot raiding clans, and I think higher wildlands percentage had an impact on some monster related events.

I never found it all that complicated to manage or hard to understand. If anything it seemed fiddly without a lot of real impact unless you deliberately set the sliders to something ridiculous.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2018, 08:23:33 pm »

I would say food production was *opaque* in the original KoDP.  For example you had herds of horses and cows, which both had obvious gameplay effects (allow you to train elite soldiers/makes food for free every year respectively).  Then you had your herds of sheep and pigs.  To this day I'm still not sure what effect those animals have on the game; there are only a few advisor lines and events that reference them at all.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2018, 08:40:03 pm »

I would say food production was *opaque* in the original KoDP.  For example you had herds of horses and cows, which both had obvious gameplay effects (allow you to train elite soldiers/makes food for free every year respectively).  Then you had your herds of sheep and pigs.  To this day I'm still not sure what effect those animals have on the game; there are only a few advisor lines and events that reference them at all.

Sheep was basically your currency, IIRC. You could slaughter them for emergency food and they consumed grazing land (any confirmation on this from anyone?), but you mostly traded them for crap. Pigs were absolutely food. Cows were your "I have to micromanage this or we all die" food, pigs were your "I have a bunch of pigs so we can eat" food.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2018, 10:30:45 pm »

Sheep are pretty much the same as cows, giving you some food every year at harvest time (though maybe not as much?) from slaughter. Having a healthy herd of sheep also gives you more goods. Pigs give you some food too, but they're pastured on (a very small patch of) forestland instead of cleared pastures. You can ignore both of them unless something terrible happens in my experience.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2018, 11:00:16 pm »

IIRC sheep also rated higher in sacrifice value.

Basically if you couldn't pay for goods and favors with your cows, and were digging in to your pigs and sheep, you were already in trouble.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2018, 08:06:11 am »

In the original, sheep were outright required for shrine upkeep. In the re-release, sheep got removed I think.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2018, 09:36:33 am »

Here's an article about Six Ages: Ride like the Wind, which comes out on the 28th of this month on ios

https://www.pockettactics.com/articles/six-ages-ios-preview/

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2018, 09:43:03 am »

Is it only on ios?
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2018, 09:55:57 am »

Is it only on ios?
For now. The developer has said an android and PC release is in the pipeline, but that won't be until 2019, supposedly.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

alakoring

• Bay Watcher
  • Developer of King of Dragon Pass and Six Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2018, 11:39:49 pm »

To me KoDP is one game. I expected SA to be one game. So to me, it’s not 6 complete games as I read it. It’s the idea of SA spread over 6 games.

It is 6 complete games as we write it. Can’t control your expectations, but the idea has always been to explore six different ages of Glorantha.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2018, 11:51:55 pm »

To me KoDP is one game. I expected SA to be one game. So to me, it’s not 6 complete games as I read it. It’s the idea of SA spread over 6 games.

It is 6 complete games as we write it. Can’t control your expectations, but the idea has always been to explore six different ages of Glorantha.
So, each game is comparable to KoDP in scope, or not?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2018, 09:29:34 am »

They're saying SA is a larger game than KoDP. "Simpler but richer" I think the phrase was.

I'll admit, I did not handle the news well. Both the delay for the platform I want to play it on, and the change of scope. (Personally, I always get nervous when devs start talking about multiple games in a series before they've even released their first or provided support for it. It's a trend in indie games I've seen for years now, where there's a big to do about a release, fans get really hyped, buy it and the devs move on within 6 months. Not that describes you guys, but I'm just explaining my reaction to "Game isn't out yet, but we're going to talk about something else than the thing you're paying for to generate interest" thing.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:50:41 am by nenjin »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2018, 07:06:59 pm »

They're saying SA is a larger game than KoDP. "Simpler but richer" I think the phrase was.
That's kind of meaningless without further elaboration, though. The most optimistic reading would be "less gameplay mechanics but more events/characters/vision quests". And I have a feeling that's what they meant. But it could just as well be read more cynically as meaning "less gameplay but we wanted to say something positive so we used a word too vague to be meaningfully contested".
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10