Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Sims and DF  (Read 1423 times)

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Sims and DF
« on: June 29, 2016, 07:47:51 pm »

I wonder how many of us want to play DF adventure mode in The Sims style - to create your character, and live his or her daily life. To do your job - whether it is soldier, or metalsmith, or a lawyer, and build a home for your wife and children to live in. I really want to do that in DF, sort of like in The Sims, but with a lot more things to do, and where you can actually do your job instead of getting into a car and disappearing. I can easily find joy in doing simple, everyday things as my character, but what I want most is to see progress in his life - to see him rise in his job, build, have family. If I am a craftsdwarf, I want others to use things I make. If I am a judge, I want to provide justice for people of my town. I want to enjoy small things, such as beer with my neighbours in a local tavern. I want to be the part of the world and interact it, preferably in a peaceful way. I really want DF to be the game where you can have fun not killing anyone.

Am I the only one?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 07:55:24 pm by Cormack »
Yes, I'm gay.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Sims and DF
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:33:41 pm »

Yeah, last few releases have done wonders for adventure mode in that regard, hope they keep it up.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:36:22 pm »

That sounds great. Especially as, unlike most adventurers' mindlessly violent stories, it actually gives an incentive to go on a genocidal rampage when you accidentally set hostility to max and have primordial giants wreck your peaceful life.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:18:25 am »

Playing a peaceful character is surely what many DF players want - non-violent roles seem to be the most popular in a poll I've made some time ago. I, for one, want to roleplay a virtual life in a fantasy world, and try many different scenarios and many different professions. It certainly will be fun to be part of the world in a creative way, even now you have some rudimentary abilities to build and create, can you imagine how rich it might be in a few years?

But The Sims, I don't think that playing like this will be as popular - sure, if DF's aim is to be the ultimate fantasy world simulation, it has to, for example, do creatures' needs, including the player - and I know many people who didn't like The Sims because of it - even to the point of calling it "The Pooping Simulator". As an option, alright, but not as the only option, at least not for the player.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 10:31:22 am »

Maybe, "The Guild" might be a better reference point in the life-sim genre than The Sims?

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 05:53:11 am »

Maybe, "The Guild" might be a better reference point in the life-sim genre than The Sims?

Well, to some extent yes, but I never really liked it. I don't like that one day passing in the game equals 4 years, even when they later changed it to a year, it still seemed excessive. Everything you do in the game seems rushed. On the contrary, I've never felt so in Patrician III, which I still play sometimes. It was very well-thought, and even though there are fewer things to do, it still is more immersive in my book.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:59:49 am by Ekaton »

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 04:26:24 pm »

Yes, playing a peaceful character/life in adventure mode does sound wonderful. I would love that. I would buy or build a house, get a family with a cat and some kids, and perhaps an ostrich or something, find myself some job and hobbies, and just Second Life that shit. I'm pretty sure these sorts of things are already coming, even if some of these elements might not have the highest priority. Many many things add to this indirectly, however... the economy arc, for example. (Is that an arc? The economy, at any rate.)

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 08:36:46 pm »

I want to play exactly like The Sims but with being able to actually do my job in the game, even if I am a farmer or a soldier or a clerk and its very repetitive, I still want it. And I want a small beer after work, to spend some time with my friends and colleagues from work, a date, a family, a home to build for me and my children to live in.

Personally, I don't mind if my work in DF is repetitive - even if I will play the clerk, I still want documents, procedures, to sign different documents, to send them, if I am collecting taxes I want tax tables to know how much to take etc. Might seem boring, but I like it.

That's my ultimate DF dream.
Yes, I'm gay.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 09:35:54 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 09:13:08 am »

My dream would be to work my way into owning a smith's shop and just making and selling armor and weapons. I'll be the guy supplying the adventurers.