Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game Performance?  (Read 1086 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Game Performance?
« on: July 11, 2016, 03:31:13 am »

So I was thinking of eventually playing DF again for the first time in many years. Maybe a few months from now once I finish with a few other games on my list. But I was wondering how performance is these days. I have a laptop running intel core i7, dual 2.5GHZ CP.

Any recommendations on say maximum level of dwarfs, etc?
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Game Performance?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 08:51:01 pm »

It depends on what FPS you're going for.

If you're coming off from v0.34, then there are few new FPS killers:
  ⃝  areas with vegetation - trees in particular. However, leaves in the fall is stunning to look at for the first time.
  ⃝  big, rich and long worlds - all the interactions are calculated in the background.

Don't expect to maintain 100 FPS on 100 dwarves in a large mountainside forest on a massive continent with multiple water and magma rivers 2 years in - I'd expect 60-80 with that computer, I guess?

Of course, since a single tree gives like 20 logs, you can embark on smaller areas or only thinly shear a tree-growing biome. As well as running small and pocket worlds.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:53:33 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Re: Game Performance?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:12:46 am »

Thanks for the reply. Sounds good. I think a smaller fortress would be easier to handle when it comes to learning the game again anyway.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.