Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advanced Worlds Research on the Temperature Setting  (Read 1109 times)

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advanced Worlds Research on the Temperature Setting
« on: August 15, 2016, 04:58:14 pm »

Dwarfen Temperature Research (Advanced Worlds)
===========
IN GAME AFFECTS
===========

After Making multiple Worlds that are identical with the only difference being the temperature min and maxs being different. I have come to the conclusion that changing these Values have no affect in game, What I mean but this is that no matter how high or how low you set the max temperature or min temperature you cannot create another temperature I.E Creating an Area where dwarfs literally melt if they are outside for too long.

=========================
MIN AND MAX AFFECTS ON WORLD GEN
=========================

Certain Min and Max temperatures can disallow the creation of certain types of temperatures, For example I found that whenever having a Max of 25 no Scorching or Hot areas will ever be created. However this is ignored when a max temperature is below 1 possibly due to a bug. As any world with Max less than 1 will create Scorching areas when world with a max of 1 will only create temperate.

=====
NOTES
=====

Smaller differences between Min and Max will cause Tundras (and the glaciers within them) to be very square. (A Min of 0 and A max of 1 create a Extremely square Tundra)

Having a Min higher than a Max will cause the game to crash when trying to generate a world.

Since certain temperatures are needed of certain biomes if a min is too high or a max is too low then certain biomes will not be able to be created causing infinite rejects in advanced world gen.

Temperature is affected By Poles which may cause certain worlds to have less of certain type of temperature. (mainly Having both North and South Poles)

====================
Temperature Averages
====================

A Temperature Average is the average between Min and max. To get an average all you have do is add the min and max up and divide them by 2. A temperature average affects how much of certain Temperatures will be created in your world.
For example a temperature average of around 25 will create larger temperate areas while a temperature average of about 150 will create large Scorching areas.

Very Large Temperature Averages Will cause worlds that are only 1 temperature

=================================
List of current know temperatures
=================================
Note these are not exactly what is needed to create or prevent certain type of temperatures

Max 50 = No Scorching
Max 25 = No Hot
Max 1 = No Warm
Min 150 = No Cold or Freezing

Avg of 25 = Temperate
Avg of 50 = Warm and Temperate
Avg of 75 = Warm
Avg of 150 = Scorching
Avg of 500 = Scorching (and nothing else)
Avg of -150 = Freezing
Avg of -500 = Freezing (and nothing else)

===========
A CHALLENGE
===========

Create a World with Temperature min of -500 and a max of -500 let the World Generate at least 100 years and making sure Dwarfs are still alive after those 100 years.

Embark on Tundra or Glacier Around the 100's of Goblin Sites and Prepare for Fun

If you really want to have Fun Embark with absolutely Nothing!

===========

Below is a Document of my research and findings some statements may not be completely true (most of them are).
There also might be some spelling and grammatical mistakes, Also note that this is a copy and paste from a text document I made

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Worlds Research on the Temperature Setting
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 10:11:00 pm »

After Making multiple Worlds that are identical with the only difference being the temperature min and maxs being different. I have come to the conclusion that changing these Values have no affect in game, What I mean but this is that no matter how high or how low you set the max temperature or min temperature you cannot create another temperature I.E Creating an Area where dwarfs literally melt if they are outside for too long.
You can do both this and dwarfsicles - even side by side - if you use world painter and poles together.

Temperature is affected by elevation, and latitude if you have poles.

Other than taiga/tundra/glacier/mountain/ocean, biomes are more decided by latitude than temperature with poles. It is entirely possible to have freezing mangroove swamp, for instance.

Without poles, you need 85 temp to get tropical broadleaf with 80 rainfall.

Quite a bit of temperature research can be found in perfect world thread(an utility for gross world painting).

Also, you didn't mention what pole, temperature, elevation and rainfall settings you used - not just min and max but variance too.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:12:39 pm by Fleeting Frames »

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Worlds Research on the Temperature Setting
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 06:48:16 pm »

You can do both this and dwarfsicles - even side by side - if you use world painter and poles together.

Temperature is affected by elevation, and latitude if you have poles.

Other than taiga/tundra/glacier/mountain/ocean, biomes are more decided by latitude than temperature with poles. It is entirely possible to have freezing mangroove swamp, for instance.

Without poles, you need 85 temp to get tropical broadleaf with 80 rainfall.

Quite a bit of temperature research can be found in perfect world thread(an utility for gross world painting).

Also, you didn't mention what pole, temperature, elevation and rainfall settings you used - not just min and max but variance too.

I used the default settings from the Small Region.