Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Crash sources and saves - Please post them here!  (Read 8584 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Crash sources and saves - Please post them here!
« on: July 14, 2016, 10:53:38 am »

Lately I've gotten more reports about people experiencing crashes. Eliminating those is always my top priority, but I require the saves for that. So far I'v identified following sources:

- TWBT multilevel view and TWBT.
I assume it's different for each system, but the high amount of tilesets used (7) in MDF is unique. Other mods and the starter pack only use 3-4. People have reported less or no crashes at all after turning either multilevel to 0 or TWBT off.
(Solution: type "multilevel 0" into the dfhack console. If issues prevail, try playing without TWBT by deleting the dwarffortress/hack/plugins/twbt.dll file or turn it off in the GUI. Needs a DF restart.)

- Butchering specific creatures.
Some of the randomly-generated extra creatures can cause crashes when used in combination with some of the standardized animal material settings and/or the status as historical figure. I have not yet fully understood the dependencies for the crashes, but it is very easy to both test and avoid on an individual level.
(Solution: Simply dont butcher said creature)

- Create-unit and historical figures.
This is guess-work so far, but people have been reporting crashes after a creature for The-Earth-Strikes-Back are spawned. I'm currently testing if this is true for the newest version of the mod and script.  I'll keep you updated. If it happens it is very easy to detect: Check your gamelog, see if a "awakened stone" was spawned as last or almost last entry.
(Solution: Turn off TEST in the GUI. Needs a DF restart.)

I still have a crash, what now?
If you do have crashes that are not connected to either of these three sources, please do the following:
- Upload the save and post it here. Simply find the data/save/region folder, zip/rar it, and upload it to gooledocs, dropbox, DFFD, as you like.
- Check the errorlog.txt and gamelog.txt in your dwarffortress folder and post the last couple of lines.
- Post a report in this thread, telling me which mod version you play, which race, and when it crashes.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:56:08 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: Crash sources and saves - Please post them here!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 04:22:10 am »

Orcish squigs are one of the creatures that cause crashes when butchered with standardized materials active..  Seems to be ALL squigs.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Nidhoggur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 06:53:55 am »

Orcish squigs are one of the creatures that cause crashes when butchered with standardized materials active..  Seems to be ALL squigs.

I seem to recall butchering orthuses in my succubus game causing a crash as well. Not sure about the standardized setting. I'll try to repro when I get home.

Nidhoggur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 10:51:13 am »

Okay, so butchering an orthus may crash the game.

Link to dropbox

succubus race
errorlog is empty
gamelog is attached

Settings
standardization: everything on
balancing: aquifers on, grazing:100
additions: foodtypes and patreons on
fps-boosters: everything on

Every other setting is on default

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 10:57:26 am »

Just to add a note to what Meph said, saves are very handy for troubleshooting.  Since TESB's creatures appear as random drops from digging, it's pretty much impossible to get an absolutely reproducable crash, but from what I have seen some worlds seem more prone to the crash than others.  Savegames that experienced a crash can help me figure out what the difference is even if it crashes at a random time.

On a more tactical level, if TESB is active and there's a stetch of fort-making during which you really really want to avoid any possible crash, just don't do any digging.  As a last cheaty resort you can issue a command in the DFHack console to pause the random drops.

tesb-job-monitor -living 0 -gem 0

(If you're running an old version, you might have to use tesb-mining -living 0 -gem 0 instead.)  Things will go back to normal when you save and reload.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

MechaJeb Kerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 09:59:19 pm »

Butchering frogmen crashes as well. In adventure mode, playing as human.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 08:16:12 am »

Okay, so butchering an orthus may crash the game.

Link to dropbox

succubus race
errorlog is empty
gamelog is attached

Settings
standardization: everything on
balancing: aquifers on, grazing:100
additions: foodtypes and patreons on
fps-boosters: everything on

Every other setting is on default

I did not get a chance to look yet, but did you summon creatures into your fort? I think create-unit make this issue worse.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 09:58:54 am »

Its the standardized materials as far as I know, if the creature is a historical figure or something along those lines. I thought I had it fixed by taking standardized-bones out, but I'll test again.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 10:50:52 am »

Its the standardized materials as far as I know, if the creature is a historical figure or something along those lines. I thought I had it fixed by taking standardized-bones out, but I'll test again.
I also found out that standardized materials makes the magma-dwelling creatures in The Earth Strikes Back melt as soon as they spawn.  I found a fix for those specific creatures that will publish in v2.13, but it might affect some vanilla critters, too.

Edit: Version 2.13 is now available.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:36:00 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Nidhoggur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 06:18:00 am »

I did not get a chance to look yet, but did you summon creatures into your fort? I think create-unit make this issue worse.

No summons. It was either the animals I embarked with or their children.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 02:33:13 pm »

I also found out that standardized materials makes the magma-dwelling creatures in The Earth Strikes Back melt as soon as they spawn.  I found a fix for those specific creatures that will publish in v2.13, but it might affect some vanilla critters, too.

in my current orc fort (without TESB) i reclaimed a random fort and it goes all the way down to magma with like 150+ magmaforges/smelters etc.
and in the "dead/missing" tab i had from the start some "awakened limestone magma" and "awakened phyllite magma" dead in that list.
maybe that was too some of the stuff that spawns in magma and melts itsself somehow.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 02:55:21 pm »

in my current orc fort (without TESB) i reclaimed a random fort and it goes all the way down to magma with like 150+ magmaforges/smelters etc.
and in the "dead/missing" tab i had from the start some "awakened limestone magma" and "awakened phyllite magma" dead in that list.
maybe that was too some of the stuff that spawns in magma and melts itsself somehow.
That seems likely.  The masterwork that came out today is still running TESB 2.08, so if you have Standardized Materials enabled any Awakened Magma or Incandescent Stone will melt.

I noticed that when TESB is turned off in the GUI that the creature raws are still active, so you can still see one of them spawn randomly (though they are very rare on their own without the mod's DFHackery).  I mentioned it to Meph, and he said that leaving them in was intentional.
Just got back, updating:

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 03:36:25 pm »

That seems likely.  The masterwork that came out today is still running TESB 2.08, so if you have Standardized Materials enabled any Awakened Magma or Incandescent Stone will melt.

I noticed that when TESB is turned off in the GUI that the creature raws are still active, so you can still see one of them spawn randomly (though they are very rare on their own without the mod's DFHackery).  I mentioned it to Meph, and he said that leaving them in was intentional.
standardized materials and TESB are both off though :D (and yeah this is not on the newest version from today, its on 1.10).
well its not a big deal one way or another... just that they dont swim around in magma and jump out and melt your face off or so.

edit: just noticed that phyllite and limestone are not magma safe... so i guess the game just randomly picked a stonetype for them and it got one that melts in magma so they died.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 03:50:38 pm by Nelia Hawk »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 04:15:58 pm »

edit: just noticed that phyllite and limestone are not magma safe... so i guess the game just randomly picked a stonetype for them and it got one that melts in magma so they died.
The Awakened Magma castes are all non-magma-safe, which is why their surface is magma.  Incandescent Stones are made of magma-safe rocks, and they glow red-orange.

Edit: To clarify, the surface isn't the problem... It's that standardized materials causes all of their fleshy innards to melt from contact with that 12000 degrees Urist surface.  Without standardized materials, or using the workaround in TESB 2.13, those fleshy bits are also magma-safe.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:38:16 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 11:44:37 pm »

i guess that is a bug then that they died. as i dont use standardized materials in that game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4