Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What determines how often a weapon gets "lodged firmly in the wound"?  (Read 1337 times)

AverageBandit

• Bay Watcher
  • "A nuuuuu"
    • View Profile

And ,if possible, can it be disabled for a specific weapon type eg.longsword,mace or warhammer?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

I've been wondering this myself.  It seems from my experience (without science) that edged attacks with large contact areas and penetration depth are more likely to get lodged.  Axes seem to lodge most often (when they don't cut the limb off, anyway), and slashing attacks more than stabs.  Dagger stabs almost never get stuck.  I'm not sure about the exact calculation though.

It would be nice to know, since I like to turn enemies into pincushions by dropping lodged weapons into them and proceeding to beat them up unarmed.  This is mostly pointless but earns style points.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

oh, interesting!  In my experience the orcs' claw weapons, which are very daggery (5:1000:900), get stuck in much more than swords or axes.  Perhaps their wielders' high strength comes in to play.  Or maybe it's the deeper "merciless" attack that tends to produce more stuck ins.

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CLAWS]
[NAME:pair of claws:pairs of claws]  // fast, piercing strikes
[SIZE:300]
[SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[TWO_HANDED:500000]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[ATTACK:EDGE:5:1000:stab:stabs:left claw:900]
   [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:2:2]
[ATTACK:EDGE:5:1000:stab:stabs:right claw:900]
   [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:2:2]
[ATTACK:EDGE:500:800:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1000]
   [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
   [ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK]
[ATTACK:EDGE:10:3000:mercilessly pierce:mercilessly pierces:savage points:1300]
   [ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK]
   [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:5]

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Spears get lodged extremely often. They are the weapon I have to most often unforbid after a battle. Swords are the next most common. I suspect it is the piercing attacks that cause sticking.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would make sense for piercing to lodge often.  I know that my custom sai (a modified dagger with a small contact point and that can only be used for stabbing) almost never get stuck.

Well, it should be easy enough to science in the arena.

AverageBandit

• Bay Watcher
  • "A nuuuuu"
    • View Profile

It would make sense for piercing to lodge often.  I know that my custom sai (a modified dagger with a small contact point and that can only be used for stabbing) almost never get stuck.

Well, it should be easy enough to science in the arena.

Raws?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile

I would assume it's the "stabbyness" of a weapon that determines this.  I think there's a pierce rating that determines how far the weapon goes forward and a size rating that determines how wide the blade is.  So high size and high pierce is like a fan-axe kind of weapon, it will essentially slash instead of lodge into things.  Small size and high pierce would be more like a spear or a pick, and I think that would cause it to lodge into wounds more. 

Shows you how intricate DF is, I assume that it calculates whether the weapon gets lodged based on how big the weapon and how deep it goes compared to the size of the body part it encounters. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did some arena testing (just attacking with different weapons and counting how often they get stuck) and it seems that the difference is subtle; most of my numbers were close to 50%, though I didn't do more than 20 attacks per weapon.  But I doubt it's that simple.  Someone will need to make a macro or something to test it properly.