Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (Bug?) Adventurer personality != retired adventurer personality?  (Read 1920 times)

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kind of a problem I got here...

CASE 1

So I made yet another pocket world and created two identical peregrine falcon man adventurers. In order for them to travel together, I of course had to retire one of them first.

Their personalities were set in such a way that they are maximally loyal and love war and fighting, unfairness, discord (finds arguments exhilarating) and are cruel to their enemies.

They had the expected reactions to hearing other people disagree about their values:
You: I got into an argument.  How exhilarating!
Kadest: I got into an argument.  How exhilarating!

But when it came time to fight the muscular night horror they exhibited differing opinions:

Kadest: Death is all around us.  I am not upset by this.
You: Death is all around us.  The horror consumes me!

CASE 2

This was in an older world, as a peregrine falcon man I was ordered on the 15th of Granite by the Lady to drive out a dwarf bandit gang. So I chopped all their heads off, and standing over the carnage I looked over to what he was thinking in the 'express your emotions' menu:

You: Death is all around us.  The horror consumes me!

Then I retired him, made another adventurer and found him in a cottage speaking, to no particular person, over and over:

The swordsman Kas Koseemtha Zostrasahthet Tista: Kas Swiftwing the Balanced Guises of Wine killed Ezum Echoboulder.  I feel like a victor.
The swordsman Kas Koseemtha Zostrasahthet Tista: Kas Swiftwing the Balanced Guises of Wine, slayer of Otung Fortressdot.  There is no need for celebration. // Must be because he doesn't like merrymaking
The swordsman Kas Koseemtha Zostrasahthet Tista: Death...  I am not upset by this.

Hey, that was supposed to be your line on that fateful day!

What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:23:10 pm by Zyro_Falcon »

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
  • The Core shall be ours!
    • View Profile
Re: (Bug?) Adventurer personality != retired adventurer personality?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 10:27:39 pm »

I believe if you selected 'express grim satisfaction at somebody's death, or maybe its the great triumphant, I've noticed that all my heroes tend to have a option to say something fearful about death, I think thats purposeful so you can play characters more openly.

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 10:30:49 pm »

I think thats purposeful so you can play characters more openly.

Whoa! Dwarf Fortress, that's mind-blowing if it's true!
Theory aside, my main concern is that I hope he isn't depressed from having to witness so much death (like my previous adventurer attempts) that they gain an alcohol dependency.

EDIT: Ok, now I think the theory might be off, my adventurer will still say 'Death is all around us. The horror consumes me!'; I have no option yet to get him to say 'This does not upset me.'
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:38:45 pm by Zyro_Falcon »

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:37:19 pm »

Now that however, I didn't know existed, you've actually had adventurer's gain a alcohol dependency? Did you leave them close to somewhere they could get drunk, maybe a city with a tavern or hillocks with a drinking mound?

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:43:07 pm »

Now that however, I didn't know existed, you've actually had adventurer's gain a alcohol dependency? Did you leave them close to somewhere they could get drunk, maybe a city with a tavern or hillocks with a drinking mound?

We haven't visited any place like that.
Anyway, a while back I found this thread from Jan 2016: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/416su3/spoilerstutorial_alcoholic_adventurers_anonymous/

And thus that got me concerned enough to start this thread. I tried setting their personalities such that they'd avoid gaining alcohol dependency from their work (combat and gaining all the unfair upper hands as they do so), but evidence here seems to suggest my measures won't succeed. Hmm...

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:52:36 pm »

Eh, I play my characters like they are my divine instruments, making sure they can stay focused with the bear minimum, Also, I've never retired a adventurer for very long and then return to them, so I don't know, it might help that I don't have them reminiscent on what they've done. Maybe i'll try to create a completely hostile adventurer, and see if I'm restricted from having the options of fearing death, I also tend to have a very high fearlessness.

Edit: I've read up on the wiki and there isn't anything there saying its possible, though it might be something not added to it yet.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:59:21 pm by Codyrex123 »

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 11:09:42 pm »

Just got back from a round of adventurer mode.

So, I brought the falcon who was talking about how death doesn't upset him over and over (as mentioned earlier) out of retirement. Went to slay another target. All of a sudden he's not the brick-faced badass when he was an NPC. D'aw! :( I believe this is concrete proof that theory of yours, as awesome as it sounds, is not (yet) true in DFA. As you can see there is only one way he thinks about his victim's death:

EDIT: MORE UPDATE!

Made an absolutely evil human adventurer (family and friendship is ---, etc), and got the option I wanted!
I'm pretty sure I tried making an evil falcon too, but that dude still reacted in horror? I should try again and post some screenies to confirm if that's the case.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:39:25 pm by Zyro_Falcon »

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 11:47:52 pm »

Its not the friendship family thing, because nearly all my heroes have negitive 2 for those two because I don't want them becoming to attatched to their companions (I don't think thats a thing yet, but I feel like its going to be.)
what other stats did you change? I don't think it would be with the greens, i think it would be with gray ones to change that. Maybe its cruelty?

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:57:23 pm »

I did mention 'etc' (etcetera); I changed every stat that would suit a chaotic evil being. Family and friendship were simply things I mentioned to give a short idea of where things were going >:>

The question remains, maybe this is a bug on non-human / non-dwarven adventurers?

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 12:14:19 am »

Yeah, hmm... I'ma create a char with a very high vengence, cruel, and any other gray stat that might effect it, be back in a few.

Edit: With max Vengeful, Discord (I think its this one or..), Fearless(this one), Likes Brawls, the one that makes them not care about helping people, I didn't get the great horror, So yeah, this had completely neutral ethics.
I wasn't using a dwarf or human.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:26:30 am by Codyrex123 »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 02:34:28 am »

oh yeah when you retire there a small chance those adventures can be convinced their values are wrong through convos during worldgen.
and over time grow.
also have you guys just try modding out fear and their emotions?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 06:01:20 am »

oh yeah when you retire there a small chance those adventures can be convinced their values are wrong through convos during worldgen.
and over time grow.

I reiterate my previous post:
- I had a guy who would verbally struggle against great horror at his victim's death, and retired him
- as an NPC he acknowledges his lack of horror at seeing his victims die.
- Brought him out of retirement, killed a target, and he's back to verbally struggling against great horror.

also have you guys just try modding out fear and their emotions?

I'd rather stick to vanilla at this point in time... modding them out seems too easy.

New incident!

Oho, the title seems a little sudden (real-life me is rather scatterbrained... and admittedly sloppy),
but look what I just found out: made a FRESH&NEW falcon adventurer with tendencies to 'evil' things. Killed bandits one after another. EMOTIONAL ESCALATION ENSUED.
I need to understand vanilla DFA's mechanics! What am I missing? Where can I find the file containing my adventurer's values/facets in the save folder?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 06:55:30 am »

the thing is probably the discipline stat being Really low on your character since that's tied to how emotionally adjusted they are at seeing death.
and it's a skill you can train by murdering loads of people or fighting alot.
but other than that since adventure mode is the player possessing a selected person who will cry at any sign of extreme emotion.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 03:46:28 am »

So I read the thread, still confused a bit, it looks to me like your evil char is working in line with your choices,   if I were evil, I wouldnt care if I killed someone either.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 12:16:00 pm »

Re: alcohol need, every single character I've had start out without it (it's intemperance, not austerity alone), regardless of their other personality traits, at some point between 10 and 20 sapient (had [CAN_LEARN] and can talk/express emotions, so zombies don't trigger it as fast if at all) kills at my hand, or something like seeing maybe twice that number get killed around me (I went to the library to learn how to write autobiographies and left an alcoholic, the story of Urist McHemmingway) has led to my gaining an alcohol need.