Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interest Check: Mercenary Coalition  (Read 1882 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Interest Check: Mercenary Coalition
« on: July 16, 2016, 05:03:13 am »

There's a miniscule chance that I posted this a while back, but I've searched and couldn't find it. Just a head's up. I did post the idea around the same time in a thread, though.

Anyways, so this is, as the title says, an interest check for the multi-person RPG-like Sci-Fi Mercenary Coalition. The base idea is that the players take up the role as members of a small mercenary group. Each member buys equipment with personal funds, and the group as a whole uses communal funds to buy more substantial things, such as space ships.

Mortality is a factor, and players can easily die. On missions, only a certain amount of players will be taken while the rest will be 'mission control' - helping in terms of suggesting tactics or in using external resources such as deploying vehicles or spaceships to the mission. Hopefully there'll be some kind of waitlist, or if that's not present, a timer preventing killed players from immediately re-entering.

Ships are a pretty big 'feature' on their own. Each ship, whether it's a fighter or a dreadnought, must have a pilot/captain dedicated to flying that ship. The pilot/captain must be present in order for the ship to fly, but anyone can act as crewmen on it. Ships are extremely expensive and should be treated as huge investments. While a few missions are ship-based, ships can usually just be used as support for the ground team in their own missions.
Regular ground/atmospheric vehicles are a thing too, but are much less involved.

Missions are very instance-based. The setting is an intragalactic 3-way war between two superpowers and a smaller yet still formidable third nation hoping to gain something from the distracted superpowers. The players can choose from a list of Mission series - basically a sequence of 1-3 connected missions. The missions can be things such as "infiltrate this place, then after that, board this ship, then join in this planetary battle."

The missions will probably have limits of 5 players or less depending on the mission. If few people join/show interest but I still run the game, the max mission count would probably be lowered. Missions will be done in a text-based simplistic almost RTD-like fashion with simple rolls and weapons - no fancy illustrated/tile-based stuff. Skills will likely be present, but there won't be too many skills and the ones that do exist will be relatively minor.

Captains will likely be exclusive roles (you can't be a captain and ground-team soldier) unless too few people join. In that case, they'll be treated the same way as pilots. Pilots can be anyone, but you can only be the pilot of one vessel at any given moment. (And you can't easily switch between piloting multiple vessels either.)

Soo in short, I'm simply wondering how many people would be interested in joining a multi-player RPG such as this one. It'd be a relatively large time investment for me but if enough people are interested, I'd definitely want to do it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check: Mercenary Coalition
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 05:05:33 am »

Color me interested, tentative IN.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 09:21:09 am »

Color me interested, tentative IN.
Same
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 09:32:37 am »

Interested, and it doesn't look like you have posted anything like this before :P.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 09:37:00 am »

Yeah, I say that because I have a different saved Interest Check OP from a couple months ago on my computer, and my browser guesses the phrase "Interest Check: Mercenary Coalition" as I type it into the subject line.

But it does look like I just posted something minor about it in another topic asking for feedback. Not its own topic.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 09:45:37 am »

Would be fun. Dunno if I'll have the time, though.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 09:57:20 am »

Yeah, I say that because I have a different saved Interest Check OP from a couple months ago on my computer, and my browser guesses the phrase "Interest Check: Mercenary Coalition" as I type it into the subject line.

But it does look like I just posted something minor about it in another topic asking for feedback. Not its own topic.

Profile>Show Posts>Topics shows every topic you created, so I just looked there :P.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 12:51:20 pm »

In!
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 01:02:03 pm »

PTW. Definitely sounds interesting.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 01:12:42 pm »

In
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 02:41:29 pm »

I'll be watching this. Perhaps even playing.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 04:12:19 pm »

ER-Lite?
ptw anyway.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 04:22:47 pm »

oh my god.

I definitely now realize the similarities to ER. If I do do this, I definitely have to put some thought into making it different enough.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 04:30:09 pm »

I'm in if this goes through.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 07:52:44 pm »

What would people think of a sample mission (or maybe even two)? Make a character with a few extra skillpoints to simulate a bit of progress and make it more interesting. I give all the characters set gear, make a single sample mission, and people can play through that.
If all goes well and I end up posting the real game, people can bring in their characters. Albeit with reset skills.
Pages: [1] 2