Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has anyone ever accidentally killed the wrong person by mistake?  (Read 2708 times)

Urist McColeTheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I started off as an axeman hearthperson in a hamlet that was being harassed by bandits, and my first assignment from my lord was to kill the bandit they sent to harass them. It was a normal assignment, and I went around looking for a Kethi Bleachmourned (which was the name of the bandit). The only problem was that I soon learned that there were 3 Kethi's in the same hamlet.

At first I thought this was a vampire-hunting situation and since there was no option in the dialogue to accuse the person of being a bandit, I assumed I just had to go for it. The poor guy's head flew off in a matter of seconds, spattering the floor and a nearby farmer with innocent blood. I had no idea this wasn't the Kethi I was looking for because I can't view their untranslated name (or if there is a way I haven't found it yet) and when I went back to the lord, I gave my report, only to be surprised that it's still marked as active and there was the added shock of being scolded and spat at.

So I went around looking again, only to find a second Kethi. His unfortunate and unnecessary death went about the same way as the first, only this time with a poor child spectating, and I went back to my lord only to see that the quest was still marked active.

Confused, I began fast traveling to see if I could spot a bandit camp anywhere near our hamlet, because perhaps Kethi went back to his camp. Except I was startled to be ambushed by a group of travelers. I check the names to see if I can find anything and lo-and-behold THIS was the Kethi I was looking for the whole time. That was a very satisfying beheading.

I eventually committed suicide-by-ettin because I wanted to run a character that didn't kill innocents. It was a fun learning experience though.

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever accidentally killed the wrong person by mistake?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 12:07:58 am »

Perhaps a hint could be found in directory Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\language_DWARF.txt (and GOBLIN, HUMAN, etc)?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 12:14:12 am »

I have killed my companions on accident many times, and yes I even killed a guy I thought was a bandit; turns out he was a mercenary. NO ONE CAN EVER KNOW!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 01:00:49 am »

Conversations will always include something like "you are a brigand/criminal" or "I have nothing for you" when talking to bandits and criminals, they don't pop up, don't kill them in cold blood, people hate you for it.

Urist McColeTheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 01:34:14 am »

Conversations will always include something like "you are a brigand/criminal" or "I have nothing for you" when talking to bandits and criminals, they don't pop up, don't kill them in cold blood, people hate you for it.

I see, well I guess I never noticed since talking was the last thing I intended to do once I found that little bastard. No amount of talking could ever bring back those two poor innocent civilians I beheaded.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 02:41:57 am »

Yeah, that's why I just always see what pops up when I talk to people I find in suspicious places or random aggressive soldiers, if I express my opinion of them and it has no "you are a brigand" I just leave.

You can also do it when they're asleep, when you greet them you'll still say the "I have nothing for you" even if they don't respond, and then it's fair game.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 07:24:33 pm »

When 42.01 was first released I saw goblin eyes in the darkness, I snuck up and with my long practiced keystrokes and did a heavy slash at the neck with my longsword. I decapitated a child who was a child playing make believe. I was sucked in by the power of his imagination.

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 06:25:29 pm »

I had the same problem when I was on a quest to kill a vampire and I killed an innocent villager with the same name

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 07:42:07 am »

When 42.01 was first released I saw goblin eyes in the darkness, I snuck up and with my long practiced keystrokes and did a heavy slash at the neck with my longsword. I decapitated a child who was a child playing make believe. I was sucked in by the power of his imagination.

This.

Is why I play aventure mood.

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 07:06:55 pm »

This.

Is why I play aventure mood.

Good times, good times lol

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 07:56:37 pm »

You're doing Armok's work lad, good going with population control. Keeping those frame rates down, y'know?
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 01:35:38 am »

Yes, I have accidentally killed many companions, I don't usually realize it until after I leave the area and realize my companion is gone.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

ApatheticExcuse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 11:32:11 am »

Accidentally? No. "Accidentally"? Yes.

Unless you're in a mountain hall (because I suck at adventuring and can't usually find the door), you're usually fair game to my adventurers (also because I suck at adeventuring - I usually can't figure out how to find or do much of anything, so end up trying to depopulate the world).

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 02:42:33 pm »

Accidentally? No. "Accidentally"? Yes.

Usually can't figure out how to find or do much of anything, so end up trying to depopulate the world.

I used to do the same on my first few adventures when I confusingly started in a fortress and couldn't find my way out (still can't find my way out of a fortress, so I just don't start in forts)

Urist McColeTheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 06:51:20 pm »

I used to do the same on my first few adventures when I confusingly started in a fortress and couldn't find my way out (still can't find my way out of a fortress, so I just don't start in forts)

I spawned in a massive fort that was- no joke- around 20 z-levels underground, even using the reveal command made it impossible to navigate my way out. Those generated forts are absolutely ridiculous.
Pages: [1] 2