Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DFOdysseus: 3d visualizer using Unreal Engine (open source)  (Read 7329 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: DFOdysseus: 3d visualizer using Unreal Engine (open source)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 11:46:54 am »

So I'm just going to jump to the inevitable question and natural conclusion of every DF visualizer, phrased in the typical obnoxiously presumptive fashion...

What's the status on implementing a DF control interface into the Unreal engine?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:  I guess I didn't read the post above mine :P
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 05:31:01 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 04:35:53 pm »

If interactivity is planned, are you considering the use of the interface translation/abstraction framework mifki built?

It doesn't support adventure mode anyway.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 02:09:17 am »

PTW

This looks really nice :)
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 01:23:05 am »

I tried deleting everything except Config, Content, Source, and DFOdysseus.uproject. I generated the Visual Studio files, cleaned it, and tried building. Same issue, plus some warnings that USceneComponent::AttachTo is deprecated.

I'm not sure which mode I'm supposed to build under, but I got more errors from Development_Editor than Development_Game. Debug Game has same error as Dev Game. I'll try re-downloading the project and see if that helps.

I'm using Visual Studio 2013 Professional (which I got for free under DreamSpark,) since I didn't mention that before. However, the UE4 Launcher probably should've been able to compile it itself if everything was working correctly.
Edit II: Searching around reveals that the launcher only supports building with VS2015.
Edit III: But VS2015 is supposed to be integrated, so that doesn't explain why the launcher fails.
Edit IV: The launcher looks like it's trying to build as Development_Editor, which fails since the source calls AGameMode::SetPause.

Edit I: Re-downloaded. Still no good.

Yeah, I'm using VS2015, but I'm not sure if that's it.

:-[ I am not sure.

One guy on Reddit was apparently able to compile it. Could anyone else try to reproduce this problem?

This looks terribly interesting.  PTW.

By the by, what are your (short-term) plans for this?  Do you plan to allow any sort of interactiveness, such as "play first-person in adventure mode", or will it be strictly for viewing exported worlds?

If interactivity is planned, are you considering the use of the interface translation/abstraction framework mifki built?

So I'm just going to jump to the inevitable question and natural conclusion of every DF visualizer, phrased in the typical obnoxiously presumptive fashion...

What's the status on implementing a DF control interface into the Unreal engine?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:  I guess I didn't read the post above mine :P

Not in the immediate future, no. For that I'd recommend Japa's Armok Vision. The thing is that the worlds DFOdysseus generates are not high-fidelity. That might make the landscapes pretty, but they're not ultra-mega-precise.

Also, I will focus on DFO a little less after I submit DFArgos (at the moment, you can't just plug in your world. See the readme on bitbucket), because I've been working on another game for the last few years and don't want to let it rot with my other unfinished projects. I can already smell the pile.

DFO is open source now, though  ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:31:20 am by Poonyen »
I like to make music especially for Dwarf Fortress and Soundsense in my spare time (https://www.youtube.com/simonswerwer, http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer). Also check out Toadese Language Utility to read and write DF dwarven texts (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136098). Bang the tankards!

SatelliteOfLove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 10:37:07 pm »

Thanks for the clarifications Poonyen.  Looking forward to seeing more!

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 08:33:54 am »

Having vs2015 installed, I had no problems running this. Except for all the UE4 stuff being terribly slow.

Thanks for testing it out. Yeah, I guess for a the moment it's still very unoptimized.
I like to make music especially for Dwarf Fortress and Soundsense in my spare time (https://www.youtube.com/simonswerwer, http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer). Also check out Toadese Language Utility to read and write DF dwarven texts (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136098). Bang the tankards!

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 08:42:51 am »

Having vs2015 installed, I had no problems running this. Except for all the UE4 stuff being terribly slow.

Thanks for testing it out. Yeah, I guess for a the moment it's still very unoptimized.

I actually was talking about the Unreal Editor itself. I was waiting an hour for it to load project, and it seemed to actually be doing something (besides using 4gb memory), but I killed it, and it loaded the project faster next time. Then it was compiling shaders and doing something else for ages.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 06:22:46 am »

PTW
Pages: 1 [2]