Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help, I can't play as animal people.  (Read 3509 times)

ozeloti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help, I can't play as animal people.
« on: July 17, 2016, 12:21:20 pm »

When I try to play in adventure mode, I only have 4 character options: dwarf, goblin, human, and elf. There's no animal people nor intelligent wilderness creature. I have the latest version, and I have no mods. I have tried creating new worlds, with no success. I have tried very large worlds, small words, worlds with very high number of civilizations, high savagery, and haven't had animal people as an option.
Please, help me.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help, I can't play as animal people.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 05:34:32 pm »

Where did you get the latest version from? Is it a starter pack? If there's no intelligent wilderness creature option, it's not the latest version of DF. Try downloading again.

--edit. Although if you have goblin as a choice, then it is the latest version (as far as animal play is concerned). A standard worldgen world without animal men is extremely rare. sounds like there's something wrong with your copy of DF if standard worldgen never gives you animalmen.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 05:38:08 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 10:21:32 pm »

I actually got the option to play as an IWC in worlds with minimum or maximum savagery (so I'd assume any setting in between would be the same case too).

ozeloti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 10:24:01 pm »

Where did you get the latest version from? Is it a starter pack? If there's no intelligent wilderness creature option, it's not the latest version of DF. Try downloading again.

--edit. Although if you have goblin as a choice, then it is the latest version (as far as animal play is concerned). A standard worldgen world without animal men is extremely rare. sounds like there's something wrong with your copy of DF if standard worldgen never gives you animalmen.
I have the latest version. It says in the menu screen, and I can even build in Adventure Mode (which was recently introduced AFTER animal people.) Maybe you can send me a download of a world with animal people so I can see if I can?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 01:15:35 am »

have you try checking the raw files to see if the animal men are still there?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 01:52:07 am »

I have the latest version. It says in the menu screen, and I can even build in Adventure Mode (which was recently introduced AFTER animal people.) Maybe you can send me a download of a world with animal people so I can see if I can?
No matter what combination of worldgen settings I use, advanced or basic, I utterly fail every time to get no animal-men (if I tried to annihilate all life, that would probably work though.) Post a save with no animal-men made in basic worldgen and someone will find out for you pretty soon what went wrong.

How long is your history? That will effect civilized animal-men, but you should still get an intelligent wilderness choice.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 02:13:31 am »

just go into one of the animal men raws and slap the outsider token on them.
"body swapping and YOU!"

ozeloti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 10:26:36 am »

I don't really know where to look in the raw files, but in the object testing arena I can spawn and play as animal people.

ozeloti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 10:27:01 am »

No matter what combination of worldgen settings I use, advanced or basic, I utterly fail every time to get no animal-men (if I tried to annihilate all life, that would probably work though.) Post a save with no animal-men made in basic worldgen and someone will find out for you pretty soon what went wrong.

How long is your history? That will effect civilized animal-men, but you should still get an intelligent wilderness choice.
My world history is 250 years.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 11:39:24 am »

I don't really know where to look in the raw files, but in the object testing arena I can spawn and play as animal people.
okay so the animal people are  in the same file their original animal is. so a Fox man file would be next to the Fox file.
open up the raw, objects folder in the area you hold your DF file.
okay so they do exist just they missing their local heroes token that allows them to pop up as a playable character.
"body swapping and YOU!"

ozeloti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 04:02:27 pm »

okay so the animal people are  in the same file their original animal is. so a Fox man file would be next to the Fox file.
open up the raw, objects folder in the area you hold your DF file.
okay so they do exist just they missing their local heroes token that allows them to pop up as a playable character.
Ok so animal people are in the files, they just don't show up as playable when I create a new character. What can I do?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 04:21:19 pm »

Animal-people join civs (which without outsider controllable, allows you to play as them), you can view this over legends by observing the 'regions', to see groups of animal-people emigrating commonly to the elven civilization from the wild.

Run a new world for a extended period (the second option of 125 should be plenty of time, you can pause and select a world before this if you want a earlier date) and you'll have a selection of animal people (also relevant to savage biomes that contain animal people) to choose from. What kind of civ and where it settles is also relevant (it may just be chance but i notice a lot of carnivorous/large-predator based civs seem to prefer hanging out with goblins than other races)

Obviously if animal people dont exist (usually because of a lack of savage biome types, sometimes happens on low savagery world generation settings, or creating a custom made world from scratch) in the world, you can't play as them. They just don't exist. They have ceased to be.

If one world doesn't generate you animal people to play as, just create a new world where they are there.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:24:17 pm by FantasticDorf »

ozeloti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 08:28:25 pm »

Animal-people join civs (which without outsider controllable, allows you to play as them), you can view this over legends by observing the 'regions', to see groups of animal-people emigrating commonly to the elven civilization from the wild.

Run a new world for a extended period (the second option of 125 should be plenty of time, you can pause and select a world before this if you want a earlier date) and you'll have a selection of animal people (also relevant to savage biomes that contain animal people) to choose from. What kind of civ and where it settles is also relevant (it may just be chance but i notice a lot of carnivorous/large-predator based civs seem to prefer hanging out with goblins than other races)

Obviously if animal people dont exist (usually because of a lack of savage biome types, sometimes happens on low savagery world generation settings, or creating a custom made world from scratch) in the world, you can't play as them. They just don't exist. They have ceased to be.

If one world doesn't generate you animal people to play as, just create a new world where they are there.
No matter what I do, there's no animal people. I have made more than 6 worlds, and none with them.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 02:01:54 am »

No matter what I do, there's no animal people. I have made more than 6 worlds, and none with them.

Can i ask what settings (and mods) you run the game with please? It'd help.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 02:10:47 am »

yeah at this point ozeloti should be finding what animal they like and sticking [OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE]  on to them.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: [1] 2