Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)  (Read 43670 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 05:59:17 am »

I always felt entitled to my solipsism until I realized no one exists to entitle me
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 06:27:07 am »

There's also entitled vs self-entitled.

For kickstarter, I think you're only entitled to the product if that was part of the original contract and the product is finished. If the project fails for legitimate reasons I don't think you're even entitled to a refund.

If it fails for illegitimate reasons, though, like spending all the money on hookers, blow, and potato salad instead of on the production I would like to think you have some pretty good foundation for a lawsuit. But I'm no lawyer.

As for mosquitoes. Mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas exist to remind you that no matter how high you think you sit on the food chain, there's always someone next step up.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 11:57:41 am »

If the project fails for legitimate reasons I don't think you're even entitled to a refund.

According to Kickstarter you have to issue a full or partial refund... OR come up with some sort of alternative reward.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 04:52:42 pm »

But how are you supposed to spend any of the money on production if you have to hold an equivalent amount of money in reserve in case the project doesn't work out?
Love, scriver~

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 05:29:11 pm »

Seelling off assets and such instead of absconding with them to go get stoned in another country?

Oh, the only things that sit higher on the foodchain, as in actually prey on us, are corporations and governments, everything else is either incidental or parasitic as is always the case for a superpredator.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 05:35:42 pm »

Googling "dictionary entitled", the first 5 links agreed with Neonivek, you picked the 6th search result.
Google searches are tailored to the individual, thus linking to a google search is not conducive to discussion because we may not be seeing the same thing. Do not rely on google to define your world view, or else whoever controls google, controls how you frame everything.
I always search for Oxford English Dictionary first and foremost, thus it ranks highest amongst my searches, I don't even know what the other 5 links you clicked on were

Also I haven't considered whether American English "entitled" is different, because on OED, the American version is the same
Harry Baldman's musings are also pretty much anything else I would've mused were I to muse long enough musingly

Seelling off assets and such instead of absconding with them to go get stoned in another country?
Oh, the only things that sit higher on the foodchain, as in actually prey on us, are corporations and governments, everything else is either incidental or parasitic as is always the case for a superpredator.
My favourite Kickstarter gone wrong was the ant simulator, where one of the programmers announced their resignation because his company partners spent their kickstarter money on dancers

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 05:48:36 pm »

Hey, dancing is important research for ants, cause uh... ants like coconut body lotion?

I totally missed the bit there about the dictionary stuff, google search algorithms aren't a monolithic thing where everyone sees exactly the same results.

Still wish they hadn't screw over the ability to block pinterest, but that's another reason I moved to ddg entirely.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 06:04:01 pm »

lap dancers

ants do not perform abdominal pole dances or any other insectoid equivalent

Wait, on second thought, honeypot ants have been known to do war dances in order to gauge the strength of the enemy before attacking. Perhaps they asked the lap dancers to do their best war dance, whilst demanding that they wear additional feelers, mandibles and forelegs
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:14:45 pm by Loud Whispers »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 06:17:12 pm »

lap dancers

ants do not perform abdominal pole dances or any other insectoid equivalent

Wait, on second thought, honeypot ants have been known to do war dances in order to gauge the strength of the enemy before attacking. Perhaps they asked the lap dancers to do their best war dance, whilst demanding that they wear additional feelers, mandibles and forelegs
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 07:00:06 pm »

Sure, I'll take a new sigtext.

(thanks friend.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 08:46:53 pm »

Ok here is a side muse

There is an ODD number of games that depict solar and wind energy as an extremely efficient and high generating power source.

Which on its own is fine but for some it generates either just below nuclear or above. Tropico 4 for example Solar is the best energy source in the entire game.

I mean I guess the games need a high end non-polluting power source and just didn't want to go through the trouble of inventing a new power source. Though SimCity certainly did, creating "Microwave" power plants (essentially powered by satellites shooting solar rays into a dish on earth).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 08:49:37 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 09:12:51 pm »

It sends a message, but it makes less of a game. Nuclear in a game should be more attractive but more dangerous. Having one "perfect" choice is called a dominant strategy, and it breaks a game. It's important to balance things so that there are a few "best" solutions that players can argue about.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2016, 09:29:26 pm »

but renewable energy is good eh

Though SimCity certainly did, creating "Microwave" power plants (essentially powered by satellites shooting solar rays into a dish on earth).
There was a bunch of cool stuff in the old SimCity games, actually.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2016, 09:34:47 pm »

It sends a message, but it makes less of a game. Nuclear in a game should be more attractive but more dangerous. Having one "perfect" choice is called a dominant strategy, and it breaks a game. It's important to balance things so that there are a few "best" solutions that players can argue about.

Nuclear's issue is usually the start up and tech required for it. Though in Tropico it had several weaknesses.
1) It requires university education level workers (as opposed to highschool level for the power plant)
2) It needed you to import or mine uranium (meaning it had a constant non-stop cost)
3) It was very expensive, one of the most costly things you could buy.

While in SimCity it was a late era power plant that was extremely expensive and for most of them they weren't THAT much better (Wind and solar gave the least power). Though I like SimCity.

There was a bunch of cool stuff in the old SimCity games, actually.

I didn't think I'd miss it so much until I played Cities Skylines. It feels like only half of a good SimCity game. Like a game between SimCity societies and an actual SimCity game.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2016, 05:33:08 am »

Why should nuclear be more dangerous? Sim City has coal plants without kilodeaths, coal is actually way more dangerous, and late game you could build fusion plants which don't even need radioactive materials. The power plant dangers were all sorts of screwy, rivers didn't run dry due to hydroelectric, birds didn't get chopped up by windmills, though it was always amusing when the microwave energy transfer beam went off course and blew shit up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24