Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)  (Read 43837 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2016, 01:06:04 am »

How did I not notice this thread existed? PTW!

"Coop" the sims could probably be pretty popular though.

Edit: On second thought, "Deathmatch" the Sims would too :P
Delete the ladder on your enemy's pool, while building extra ones on your own. :P
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2016, 05:19:32 am »

Unfortunately they have been able to leave pools without the need for ladders since The Sims 3 :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2016, 05:46:51 am »

I seriously don't know where this idea that they only use Chopsticks in Japan comes from.

It isn't even historically accurate and they even have their own unique forms of cutlery outside Chopsticks.

I wouldn't even bring it up but I've been criticized for not using Chopsticks before when it wouldn't even be a odd request in Japan.

Mind you... Forks aren't EXACTLY good for Sushi :P but then again I prefer to use my hands.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2016, 06:32:02 am »

I've never encountered that before, personally. Probably just cultural ignorance.

And I eat everything with a fork. Unless it's runny, in which case I use a small spoon. Sushi is fine as long as the rice is sticky. And if the rice isn't sticky, screw you, do you even know how to sushi?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2016, 07:13:30 am »

You could just stick your face into the plate and chow down like actual civilized people. Use hands to angle the plate in order to guide chow into your face and possibly also into your collar.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2016, 08:52:50 am »

Just use spoons
Every civilization has spoons

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2016, 12:03:47 pm »

In the category of 'bad ideas':

In the Chinese Beijing Wildlife Park, a woman had the bad idea to get out of her car, despite warning signs everywhere that that is very dangerous. She got dragged off and eaten by tigers, two other people who rushed after her were wounded.

warning: some people might find this Darwin Award video shocking
https://youtu.be/HDZP08LZlKM
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:05:26 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2016, 03:52:44 pm »

do not taunt the tigers
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 12:47:43 am »

I was too ill to go out for sushi for my birthday so people went without me and got me a 40 piece platter xD

And then got the worst platter they could have gotten xD

Way too much Sashimi and I've only had good Sushi once xD and there are No rolls, which are about exclusively what I get.

I wouldn't complain but... well they didn't ask me. >_<

Also I think the reason why only one place I went to (and only one) had really great sushi is most places kind of realized that no one cares and just dip their sushi in enough soy sauce that the lack of flavor is masked... and I never dip my stuff into soy sauce (because Kikoman needs to die :P)

---

I just sort of realized how insane "Government Cover ups" In fiction often is.

I mean there is the whole... Transformers from the Transformer movies but that is more of an oversight (basically YES you are expected to believe that they fought out in the open on a major street and no one told them)

But then there is Paracite Eve 3 (the suckening) where 200 women were killed in a shopping center and needed the SWAT team to contain the problem... and the government STILL covered it up.

Seriously the US government is good... but not that freeken good. They aren't the MIB (and the MIB aren't even really the "Good guys"... They are ESSENTIALLY a tourism business that has become more powerful then the world governments and have total authority over what you are allowed to think and remember... and have NO oversight)

---

Actually lets just bring it out here... the Men in Black's organization is a abhorrent one.

They are a business that runs outside the law and outside government for the sole purpose of making money off of aliens. They are the 'Good guys' of the movies but only because there is a villain.

Double bonus is they are extremely immoral. You or your family gets killed by an alien, aliens THEY are meant to police, well they will not reimburse you... In fact they will likely wipe your memory and make you think an entirely different set of events that can be anything.

Yeah... William Smith got "Went out for a great dinner"... But the woman whose husband was killed? "Ohh you left him"... Thank goodness she was in an abusive relationship... What bastardry would it have been if she was in a loving marriage and someone warped her memories so she believes she divorced him. "Children were eaten? You have no children!"

It gets even worse in the sequel when you find out that basically the employees are slaves. Willing slaves, but slaves non-the-less whose rights have been completely revoked. When I think about it what in the world inspires such company loyalty? You can't quit, if you underperform your screwed, their exiting clause is a joke, The hours are long, the world demanding, and the vast majority of your work just amounts to being boarder patrol... And honestly the job isn't even all THAT "The right thing to do".
-Reminds me of Kids Next Door who do wipe the memory of people who age past the membership age... and yes that show actually did show that no... people didn't like that.

AT LEAST with Harry Potter not only could they often fix the problems associated with it (and did in fact practice restitution)... But they in no way pretended like the Wizardry World's "Muggle relation department" was anything but an underpaid, understaffed, beaurocratic nightmare.

And all this for what? Ohh that is right... Illegal immigrants... But lucrative illegal immigrants... With absolutely no plan to reveal their plans or organization basically ever. Some are refugees to admit and likely political refugees. With Earth having no defense and being "backwater"...
-At least I don't think the movies highlight what the aliens like about Earth... Other then it being a neutral planet, with some technology, and having a large variety of environments and cultures (has something for everyone so to speak). Though, yeah they seem to denigrate earth more then praise it for anything... Why do they like us so much?

(Also don't take this as a criticism of the movie. The movie, well the first one, is great! This is one of those "This is horrifying if you really think about it" situations.)

---

Though there was another MIB-esk show that sort of explains why they exist.

Which amounts to... There are aliens on earth and there is nothing they can do about it (Unlike the MIB where they sort of invited it). Yet the earth isn't ready yet for both the knowledge of aliens or their technology.

In fact one episode was them conning a alien into giving the organization the technology to solve the energy crisis, thinking he was giving it to a journalist.

Goodness I just realized every show that has something MIB did... usually had to attempt to justify or explain it... Something a movie doesn't have to do.

---

Also welcome to my brain. What is it like to stare at this insanity? :P
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:50:45 am by Neonivek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2016, 01:38:07 pm »

In the category of 'bad ideas':
In the Chinese Beijing Wildlife Park, a woman had the bad idea to get out of her car, despite warning signs everywhere that that is very dangerous. She got dragged off and eaten by tigers, two other people who rushed after her were wounded.
warning: some people might find this Darwin Award video shocking
https://youtu.be/HDZP08LZlKM
Tigers are strong

Do not show them your backs

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2016, 01:56:29 pm »

(Also don't take this as a criticism of the movie. The movie, well the first one, is great! This is one of those "This is horrifying if you really think about it" situations.)

TvTropes calls that Fridge Horror. Fridge Logic (coined by Alfred Hitchcock btw) is basically those illogical details that you don't notice while watching a movie, but hit you later when you're doing something mundane, such as getting food from the fridge. Fridge Horror is similar except it's when you realize something that seemed ok in a movie has horrific ramifications.

One that I pointed out to some people once was related to an old anime Gift: Eternal Rainbow (which btw is not very good or otherwise memorable. Watch something else). It's one of those Visual Novel adaptations. The main gimmick is that "miracles of love" happen in this town. Basically, there's this magical rainbow over the town and it makes this phenomenon called the "Gift" happen. What this means is that if one person really loves another person, but they're not loved back then some sort of catastrophe hits the town. Then, everyone looks around for the cause, and they pinpoint the "didn't love him/her back" person as being at fault, and the whole town is like "For Christ's sake, just go out with them!" in order to save the town from the "Gift". So basically, it's a town where stalkers always win because of a town-wide curse which means the whole town pressures the "stalk-ee" to accept the stalker. But in the show this whole process is painted as a positive thing, and the shotgun weddings are painted as "happily ever after". Some people on forums were saying how "romantic" the show was, then I presented my theory to them, and they said "now that you mention it, those townfolk were pretty fucked up". So that's an example of a show with Fridge Horror when you look at it with a perspective other than the creator's.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2016, 02:00:33 pm »

That actually sounds like it would make a good horror
All is well until an earthquake strikes and the entire town wants you to love this stranger or else everyone dies

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2016, 10:09:15 pm »

For "Gift: Eternal Rainbow" I usually apply that it also makes sure they are always right for eachother.

In a similar way that Dog Days the heroes are ALWAYS VIPs no matter what. Making me believe that the nature of the world means that any human visitors will find the place they truly belong.

----

So I am stuck with a logical conundrum.

Ok you are part of a organization of time travelers who are in charge of preventing extreme catastrophe (Not small ones because time travel is dangerous).

You need funding and support staff in order to make this work... But the issue is that the only one who remembers going into the past is you... They only know you have the ability to go into the past.

Now... You cannot bring anything into the past nor bring anything from the past. Likewise you do not go into the past as yourself.

How do you prove you are doing things and get the funding?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 10:41:48 pm by Neonivek »

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2016, 12:04:49 am »

Learn something from the past that could be confirmed, somehow, but has otherwise been lost to history. Something like the composition of greek fire comes to mind, although that's not really ideal, since there isn't much of a way to prove it (beyond throwing the stuff together and watching it ignite, but we know a bunch of stuff today that could do more or less the same thing).

Or maybe hiding something durable and pre-determined, then retrieving it in the modern time, aging and all? That might conflict with the "you can't bring anything to the present" thing, but it's a pretty indirect way of doing that, so...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2016, 12:06:51 am »

Yeah but... that would just prove you can go to the past. Not that you did anything particularly noteworthy. Though once again using the time travel for anything but mass human destruction is ill advised. So finding out what Greek Fire is, would likely get you killed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24