Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)  (Read 43836 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)
« Reply #315 on: May 30, 2017, 12:40:59 am »

Spock confirmed as lizardman.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 01, 2017, 03:54:13 pm »

Ok let me see... Let me play detective!

Ok High Caliber bullet. The criminal shot a man in the arm to lure the victim into exposing herself and then managed to shoot her through the chest.

I am going to go with Rifle type weaponry. You could definitely get a high enough caliber with a pistol and there are certainly people skilled enough, but that is risky.

The person in question must be highly skilled, especially with deadly shots. I don't think it is an Olympic Shooter, marksmen, because while they have the aim the knowhow might avoid them as well the calm required to pull this off...

Huntsmen are certainly trained to fire at internal organs and would know how to take heart shots, and a Sniper also knows to take Center Mass shots. They also are both knowledgeable of hiding and staying out of sight.

I am going to go with Sniper. Injuring someone to lure a second victim is in their repertoire of skills (though a bit... WW1, WW2ish) maybe a hitman.

---

Result!

Marksmen (sniper) for Law Enforcement (Specifically ATF)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 05:49:24 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 06, 2017, 08:03:17 pm »

Ok here is a VERY interesting trend that I have performed many times.

In it each person playing a game has to make ONE section of the world, without any input or knowledge of what anyone else is doing. The goal of which is that differences of opinion arise naturally through the creation process. I don't want people who talk to eachother to prevent their desire to fill in gaps because gaps themselves are interested from a narrative standpoint, and even overabundance says something as well.

With OVERWHELMING MAJORITY! Players will make their nation and city completely isolated/defended. They are an island, they are built into a cliff, they are surrounded by dense mountains, they are under the sea, they are in another dimension, they have a giant magic force field.

The only exception to this are conqueror nations... but in many ways this is a non-exception because they kill others, not getting killed themselves.

It makes me think that perhaps I should change how I do this so that... players HAVE to be interconnected.

Maybe a 500 years pass... OR I give each player another person's place... and tell them they have to write the next 500 years of history.

Or better yet... 100 years of history per player... and EVERY player gets their hands on it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:06:54 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 06, 2017, 08:09:20 pm »

Give trade advantages for being on less defendable terrain:

- trade links only work if the caravan can reach you from that direction, therefore more traversable terrain both improves trade access but weakens defence. Also trade adds to science / knowledge. This models real-world information flows.

- being on a river gives trade / resource bonuses, but the river needs to go somewhere, e.g. enter and exit the tile.

- easily-navigable terrain is also worth more, economically, e.g. grasslands produce wheat, so they're economically valuable, and that food needs to be transported to be used, so road networks are needed.

The problem you're seeing is probably in games with unrealistic mechanics, then things like being able to move around and transport resources don't actually matter. A super fortress on an inhospitable mountain isn't acutally the optimal society to live for a long time.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:12:56 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 06, 2017, 08:10:39 pm »

There is no bonuses or issues connected with this. It has no functional or mechanical benefit to make the most illustrious technological and magically potent nation in the world.

Or to have one that is a literal garbage pile with rats making homes in the filth.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 06, 2017, 08:15:40 pm »

Well of course if people have no practical constraints and you ask them to make a "nation" with effectively unlimited resources then they're going to make something like that.

With no resource constraints or needs, and whatever tech level you want by default, then of course security is what you're going to optimize.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 07, 2017, 07:22:54 am »

With that assumption you would think they would try to optimize and "perfect" their nation. Yet that is very often not the case (in fact it is almost always not the case)

It is the Isolation that is the odd trait. As if they are trying to instinctively protect their creation. It would also explain why it is also very uncommon for the players, even when instructed to create a villain and/or disaster, to present any sort of existential threat.

As for technology, players overwhelmingly do not attempt to reach any sort of advanced technology level, in fact primitive tech is more common than even slightly different than medieval.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:27:11 am by Neonivek »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 07, 2017, 07:58:57 am »

I think it might have something to do with a sense of ownership over their creation? They are making their own little themepark for themselves, and the implied interaction with an unknown (since they don't know what the other players are making) might not fit with their theme. Like, if dark brooding gothic land is right next to gumdrop candy land, it creates a weird a dynamic, not necessarily a bad one, but it's something that can't plan for and wasn't in their mind when creating their area. By cutting off easy access to their area, it keeps it uniquely theirs.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 07, 2017, 09:57:10 am »

MrGumdrop: "The GOTHS are invading again!!"
Grimwiesse Clawhammer: "DELICIOUS CANDY PEOPLE!! RAWWWRR!!"

Sorry... I sometimes cannot contain my mental imagery.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 07, 2017, 04:29:27 pm »

MrGumdrop: "The GOTHS are invading again!!"
Grimwiesse Clawhammer: "DELICIOUS CANDY PEOPLE!! RAWWWRR!!"

Sorry... I sometimes cannot contain my mental imagery.

Honestly, it is this kind of thing that is exactly why I want players to create contradictory locations.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 24, 2017, 06:11:22 pm »

Anyone ever get the idea that the reason why so many people say that Batman should kill the Joker is because we want someone to remove our collective responsibility?

We don't want to be forced to kill the Joker, we want Batman to, we want him to take the responsibility that our society is unwilling to do.

It was always such a weird statement because it isn't like Batman is the only one who could have done it. Heck there is a elsewhere story where the Joker got the death penalty in a fair trial, saying that he is insane but he knows what he is doing. There are many guards, cops, judges, senators, presidents who all could have had the Joker executed.

Yet we want Batman to stain his hands.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 24, 2017, 07:32:11 pm »

I think the assumption is more so that since society cannot kill joker for whatever reason, it's batman who has to do it in their place

One of the main things about superheros in general is that they try to solve problems that are beyond what mundane people are capable of handling. Giant nuclear missle getting ready to blow up the continent, send in super man. An almost literal god wants to take over the whole world, send in our own god. Cunning criminal who somehow always manages to avoid the authorities, send in batman.

Now you can always argue about whether a government is genuinely incapable of dealing with the problem on their own, but from the comics that I've read the answer is assumed to be yes. It's a fundamental part of how these stories work in the first place. It's hard to root for the hero when you know his heroics are unnecessary.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 24, 2017, 07:35:54 pm »

from the comics that I've read the answer is assumed to be yes

A lot of this has to do with the fact that there is narrative causality in place.

One of the main things about superheros in general is that they try to solve problems that are beyond what mundane people are capable of handling

This puts a dark edge on the movie "Superman versus the Elite" (by the by watch that movie!)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 24, 2017, 11:54:06 pm »

I guess wherever gotham city is doesn't have a death penalty.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 25, 2017, 12:00:51 am »

I guess wherever gotham city is doesn't have a death penalty.

It has the death penalty to my knowledge. The reason the Joker typically isn't given the death penalty is because he is insane in a way that makes him incapable of recognizing the gravity of his crimes, or at least that is how it is argued.

Now this doesn't explain some of the other villains, but I just assume the legal system is congested and corrupt. THEN AGAIN! In the US it takes on average 15 years to actually execute someone!

In fact I believe Metropolis also has the death penalty... Though they sure seem to bend over backwards to not kill people some of the time.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:16:49 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24