Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24

Author Topic: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)  (Read 43870 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)
« Reply #330 on: June 25, 2017, 12:55:42 am »

Hmm, yeah, execution does take years. I guess all the supervillains are smart enough to escape every time before the bureaucracy can finalize their death.
I don't think batman should kill the joker. Batman at least tries to follow the law for the most part, and I appreciate that even the most grimdark versions of batman avoid killing.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 25, 2017, 01:11:12 am »

To me is even if it can be argued that killing the Joker is a good thing.

It is not Batman's place to kill the Joker... it shouldn't be. It is our failing should Batman need to kill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 25, 2017, 01:15:33 am »

You could say it's society's failing if batman has to do anything, really. He's not part of police, but gotham needs him to fight crime. That implies that there's something a bit fucked up here, if a random well-trained billionaire is needed.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2017, 05:35:15 am »

It is, but Batman rising above society and saving the day is a triumph. Batman needing to kill someone is a tragedy.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:42:13 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 25, 2017, 08:07:19 am »

---

Also why do covers even official Disney covers... of "Poor Unfortunate Souls" sing this WEIRD parody version of the song?

I know Ursela was theatric and often broke character by showing her poorly veiled contempt. Yet the covers dial this up to 11.

---

On that subject "Be Our Guest" falls into a VERY similar problem.

The song isn't all that difficult to sing, not as much as a good and proper "Poor unfortunate souls"... But for some reason the thing people remember about this song is:

Lumier has a French accent. So covers of that emphasize the CRUD out of the French accent over the song.

AT LEAST it isn't as bad as... one cover...

---

On that subject! I listened to "Gaston" the extended version (or possibly the musical version)...

It is also is a parody that emphasizes how evil Gaston is.

---

Now don't get me wrong! Adult songs can be bastardized too. Yet the way they are put through the ringer is typically WAAAAY too much reverb, way too slow, and waaaaaaaaaaay too many off-tempo notes and delays.

But that is more "My cover has to be the most special cover ever!" than it is "What is the emotional core of this song? I dunno..."
---
---

Seriously what is so difficult about covering a song? I know I was a singer, but I wasn't ANYWHERE close to that good (Puberty hit me hard... which is a shame)

Then again I think what hits people might be because some musical songs are very "Theatric" and are as much about delivery as they are about singing well. They are also more complex than the typical musical song (Yes, I do mean that. You think La la land layered emotions and motivations in their songs in their delivery? No that is the music's job silly), mind you remember Complex =/= better. OR they tried to balance humor and menace.

By the by would YouTube Links to what I mean help?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:24:41 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 02, 2017, 12:23:42 pm »

Seriously how does Elena of Avalor keep ending up in my musings!?!

So in today's episode Elena starts practicing with her magic sun scepter. It has many spells but the one they are focusing on the most at the moment is her "Blaze" spell which basically fries and destroys whatever it is they point at.

So she messes up casting once and almost kills her friend due to the kickback and the advice she is given is to keep trying especially since it is so dangerous. Sooo far this is good advice.

NEXT she is accausted by a spirit and he is using magic to send one of her friends to the spirit realm using magic corn. So she lines up her shot but doesn't do it because she might hit her friend and she is criticized for not taking the shot (the shot is meant to knock the magic corn out of his hand)

Later this happens AGAIN from even further away except this time the spirit isn't really doing anything (there are no stakes) and they basically tell her to do it with hope that she knocks the corn out of the spirits hand.

WAIT WHAT!?! So she has the magical equivalent of a bazooka or gun. Ignoring that she has NO idea if this could harm the spirit due to the nature of the staff's magic being completely unknown... This episode would make the NRA faint in horror with just how lousy the gun safety is in the episode. Even a SKILLED gunner, even a SNIPER wouldn't have attempted those shots (and the Staff doesn't have magic aiming) and if she missed her friend and cousin would have been DEAD all for what? Mild danger and mild inconvenience? Missing and frying them was actually FAR more dangerous than any other threat in this episode.

I honestly never thought I'd see this in a kids show. USUALLY kids shows get away with it by having the magical blasts be less than deadly, like magical knockout or mild 1-day burns.
-Oddly enough this series did have a "Kill you" spell. Though it was in the movie so it could get away with more so it doesn't count. This would actually be the second spell that is pretty outright designed to kill someone in this series.

Edit: Bonus points, when she finally does hit her target... It carries the target with her spell meaning even if she HIT the target the first and second time there was a good chance it would have killed someone anyway. It was a LOT less deadly when I thought the blast would just knock away the item and otherwise be completely negated.

---

Funny thing is that I honestly at first wanted to talk about the unfortunate implications in the episode.

In the show everyone has a Spirit guide, though they cannot speak to you directly their words are kind of directly translated into instinct (A feeling). Which is perfectly fine, except they depict it as outright mind control because absolutely no one has shown any ability to resist the compulsion of the Spirit Guide advice no matter what it was or how much the person in question knows better (even getting a Baker to bake their baked goods wrong).

This is the second show with such unfortunate implications with its use of Spirits (The other is Yokai Watch where everything bad in the world is directly caused by spirits)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 12:30:13 pm by Neonivek »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 05, 2017, 11:01:28 am »

Now, Neonivek, there's no such thing as a yokai that makes people muse about things. You're just making excuses for your own philosophical behavior.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 05, 2017, 05:11:26 pm »

I am starting to think people don't QUITE know what Hate Speech is.

Now I know this is a VERY complicated concept but it goes like this:

Hate Speech is speech meant to harass someone, AND/OR incite others to harass or harm someone.

I know this is complicated and I know conversations can get REALLY uncomfortable without ever getting into hate speech but here are some examples in spoilers:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now of course I wouldn't want to stick around a forum where I keep hearing this over and over again... But not Hate Speech.

Hateful speech and Hate Speech are not the same thing. If that was the case then the protest at a homosexual's funeral would have been illegal (Though... I wouldn't argue making that specific act illegal... Given that was in REALLY REALLY poor taste)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:13:24 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 19, 2017, 01:20:38 am »

Ok I just wanted to say something because this is apparently something new.

Just because you, or anyone, prescribes to an idea it doesn't mean you prescribe to that idea's ideology.

Believing that Welfare provides a suitable safety net and improves society doesn't make you a Liberal. Believing in strong military spending doesn't make you Conservative. Being a strong morally upstanding person doesn't make you a Christian.

When someone makes the argument that it is indeed the case they are doing one of two things

-1) They are trying to devalue the idea: Hitler ate sugar
-2) They are trying to convert or assert their ideology onto you: You believe in Animal Rights? Well you are basically a PETA member! You should also agree with this!

Secondly!

Just because an Ideology prescribes to an idea, it doesn't mean they uphold the spirit of that idea, and additionally just because someone prescribes to an ideology it doesn't mean they prescribe to all the ideas under that ideology.

A common defense one will see with an Ideology is that they aren't "Against" something or that they are "For" something, or someone who is caught doing something untoward will often defend themselves by using that Ideology as a defense ("I am Christian, we give to the poor. I wouldn't steal from them"). This is to outright deflect criticism or even control criticism.

For example a lot of ideologies say they openly accept and encourage criticism and they might even have essays on the importance of such. Yet when criticism is presented the ideology, or its members, might use its weight to shut it down.

Additionally they might even say they are open to criticism and that attempts to shut down dissent are by a small minority. Yet when that ideology actively goes out of its way not to discourage or even encourage such behavior or just excuses it, then you get the idea.

---

I am just feeling so betrayed... I don't know what to do...

What I especially hate about making this post is... I hate that I have to make it... Because there are plenty of groups that are unfairly marginalized or demonized because of select members they either have no control over, or who are included for no reason ("All animal rights is PETA"), or the group Isn't A POLITICAL OR IDEOLOGICAL AFFILIATION AND THUS MEMBERS ARE INFORMAL AT BEST OR AUTOMATIC AT WORSE ("Internet User"). You know, like how ALL GAMERS are somehow at fault because Anita Sarceesian is harassed and how OBAMA himself told Gamers to police this (It would be like saying that All Fishermen should police Pirates, because you know... Boats).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:33:47 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 04, 2017, 02:57:29 am »

If there is ONE thing I do like about VR games in general is that they SEEM to understand the medium a bit more then I would have given them credit for if I haven't been watching a lot of them.

A lot of the best ones know that the first thing a player will do is mess with the simulation and BECAUSE a VR is an inherently immersive experience a lot of them understand that they need to allow you to just mess with it.

TWO of my favorites aren't even that great:

Job Simulator: You can play this game very boring and straight, but there are some ways you can REALLY mess with the simulation and so some awful and hilarious things. My favorite that I watched someone do is in order to get rid of the bugs in their bistro they picked them all up and put them into a blender... Then used that as a pizza sauce (or drink... I forget).

Dead Hunger: It is a game where you play as a Fast Food Truck (Hamburger for the most part) where to turn zombies back to normal you feed them burgers, Soda-pop, fries, fried shrimp, and pizza. You can play it straight and you will do decently but then you learn two things: You can put ANYTHING on a burger AND Zombies will eat anything! So suddenly you are rushing to put a cassette player in a bun while tossing the pepper shaker to slow down a zombie, finishing off the sumo zombie with a Lettuce, Cheese, Tomato, Pattie, French Fry, Cassette Player, Chinese Lantern Burger.

Neither of these are amazing games. But to me this is kind of the type of thinking that might be needed for VR games in the future. The idea that VR games are at least partial simulations.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 15, 2017, 01:17:28 am »

I really don't like videos that are just compilations of a ton of things that is wrong with a movie and game.

It is mostly because flaws in it of themselves do not make or break them. It is their total overall effect on the product in question and that effect isn't additive or multiplicative... It is context.

Something could have a million flaws and still be great. I mean people love Skyrim and that is just a huge ball of flaws upon flaws.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 16, 2017, 07:42:27 am »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 19, 2017, 12:41:20 am »

Ok here is something that REALLY annoys me in fiction.

Main characters are always PERFECTLY aware, supernaturally aware, of the lethality of their attacks.

So for example Superman, who has a code against killing, fights Metallo who is an Android. Superman disables him by taking out his power source which he somehow MAGICALLY knows won't actually kill Metallo... even though chances are he is a Brain inside a metallic body and taking out his power core is like removing someone's life support (and no, Superman didn't scan him at any point and went "Ohh, he is all machine? So he can be shut off!")

Elena of Avalor with her MAGICAL Bazooka shot at a spirit with it and magically knew it couldn't actually hurt the spirit in any tangible way. I'd say it is part of spirit mythology that they are essentially indestructible (I mean souls are often depicted as that in a lot of fiction) but she has no tangible knowledge of spirits or real education on them... In fact spirits are a largely unknown concept with very little mythology surrounding them.

In Kim Possible when Ron fights the Synthoid, who he doesn't know is a synthoid yet, he TWISTS HIS NECK BACKWARDS! Yeah Ron Stoppable in Kim Possible just up and tried to MURDER a guy in a children's cartoon in an incredibly gruesome way. Thank goodness it turned out he was a synthoid or else Ron would be accused of MURDER.

It actually gets more hilarious with characters who have the ability to grow back limbs because they become as attached to their limbs as lego pieces would be. This affects heroes and villains but it is kind of interesting how much more willing and CAPABLE someone is of maiming because the opponent can grow back limbs (whether they know it or not).

---

I cannot remember what it was... but there was this story (I think it was Batman) where he beats up someone and actually mangles them, I think severing a limb... And unlike all the examples above... Batman (I'll just call this person Batman) looks genuinely horrified at what he has done and I cannot remember if he says sorry or immediately tries to take the person to a hospital before finding out they are a monster/robot/alien and thus the damage is superficial (I think it might be Superman?)

THAT is actually a lot more compelling. A hero should be a little disturbed that they lucked out by having their opponent be immune... because they just almost up and murdered someone.

Not "OHH NO it is a monster!"... I think you becoming a monster is a little more pressing for your character arc.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:43:28 am by Neonivek »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 20, 2017, 06:10:29 pm »

I approve of the idea of more stories in which the protagonist accidentally kills someone by going too far. More pain!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 20, 2017, 06:22:35 pm »

Being against killing in comics and stuff is why there is such prevalence of robots and the like.  In the cartoon Wolverine can't just chop up Toad or whatever but he can totally destroy leagues of Sentinel units and the censors don't care.  Likewise with some of the TMNT stuffs the foot clan ninjas are just robot soldiers so you can just use katanas on them and not care.  Robots allow you to have your violence or use powers to their potential without bloodshed and stuff.

The opposite also happens in a lot of 90's comics, where everyone has regeneration as part of their powerset.  You can be as gruesome or violent as you want, and you don't have to worry about long term stuff because the guy can totally heal by next issue.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24