Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Falling + Heavy armor = Armor NOT deflecting gravity  (Read 3909 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Falling + Heavy armor = Armor NOT deflecting gravity
« on: July 20, 2016, 02:44:47 pm »

Some people might want to expand on this, or something, but I simply wanted to say that heavy armor should increase falling damage, instead of deflecting it.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Armv

• Bay Watcher
  • Factotum Savant
    • View Profile
Re: Falling + Heavy armor = Armor NOT deflecting gravity
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 02:57:27 pm »

I think the weight of inventory is already added to the weight of creatures, in terms of total weight? That and isn't that the point of armor, to deflect stuff? It's the same reason why a motorcyclist wears a helmet and leather/thick clothing.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 03:09:21 pm »

I think the weight of inventory is already added to the weight of creatures, in terms of total weight? That and isn't that the point of armor, to deflect stuff? It's the same reason why a motorcyclist wears a helmet and leather/thick clothing.
So that explains why steel armor deflects gravity? I wasn't saying that the weight of inventory wasn't added to the weight of creatures(although I don't know that's true), I was saying that armor shouldn't deflect GRAVITY. wearing heavy steel armor should increase your weight, and thus increase falling damage, instead of magically deflecting gravity itself.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 03:48:41 pm »

What Armv is saying is that armor STILL protects you, somewhat, from the impact.

In otherwords armor isn't pointless against falling... Though yes you are right it isn't everything.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 06:31:56 pm »

Well, yeah, but armor already does comparatively badly versus blunt damage (unrealistically so, perhaps - a finger getting caught can rip off the entire arm from it's socket).

Which falling is.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 12:08:24 am »

Well blunt damage is caused by your body suddenly accelerating.

While falling damage is caused by your body suddenly decelerating. :P

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 04:46:19 am »

Well, yeah, but armor already does comparatively badly versus blunt damage (unrealistically so, perhaps - a finger getting caught can rip off the entire arm from it's socket).

Which falling is.
Aim a morning star at someone's fingers and you'll soon find out if arm damage is realistic...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 04:53:36 am »

That's a rather uncommon event in current era, but fingers do get caught in heavy machinery - this can easily destroy the finger, and on gloved hands can pull on the rest of the hand into the chainsaw or screw. However, morningstars are not chainsaws, single strike in a single swing is what they're limited to.

Even if they weren't, in no case could you pull or push on a finger so hard that finger remained attached, but the arm was ripped away - they're made of same materials, but the finger is a lot thinner. It's like trying to take down a tree by pulling on a branch 2 junctions away.

Cub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 12:10:23 pm »

Well blunt damage is caused by your body suddenly accelerating.

While falling damage is caused by your body suddenly decelerating. :P

blunt damage is when a giant ogre hits your head with a concrete sledge hammer and falling damage is when you hit the hammer with your head? well, i don't think that this is the problem. the real problem is the sound. if a sledge hammer and a dwarf approach but there is no sound which can be heard, was the dwarf hit? you see. the higher the volume of the sound, the higher the damage :D i can't help but imagine a dwarf who lost both arms and a leg, no problem, just a flesh wound, jumping on one leg toward the ogre trying to bite it to death but hitting the hammer instead :D

well, falling damage is caused by the organs ripping apart, snatching off from arteries and stuff since they would prefer to keep falling even when the body already hit the ground. Muscles, Bones and stuff keep softer tissue in place, organs keep falling, compressing the softer tissue and at some point stuff rips apart from the top. the heavier you are, the faster you fall, the higher the energy of your organs pushing down when your body already stopped. that means... that heavy armor should rather increase the damage? it might make broken bones less likely but increase the chance that organs splatter and joints snatch, so loosing limbs is realistic? where am i wrong?

i can't see that leather cloathing helps much against fall damage. it helps to make scratches from rolling over the road and such less likely. the additional weight of the helmet is a problem. some helmets with heads inside are found at some distance to the rest of the body. additional weight increases the energy so if the body hits a pole the helmet helps the head to free itself from the necks chains. and if the head hits some obstacle... a modern helmet keeps the brain inside, that's not the problem... ...the skull crushes anyway.

well, is it implemented that - for humans - 0.5 metres are more dangerous than 2-5 metres? insurances often are afraid of smaller accidents at home, falls from 0.5 metres are more dangerous and are rather deadly, lead to severe disability and higher costs for nursery and stuff... since in such a short distance the body hasn't the time to bring itself in a proper position to compensate the impact. when falling from higher heights there is more time for that. when it is even higher it is just useless anyway.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 03:13:06 pm »

the heavier you are, the faster you fall,
Not at all. DF doesn't model air resistance.

Heavier creatures do take more fall damage right now, though that doesn't mean armor shouldn't protect them from being hit by earth.

Albeit do note that stuff you wrote about organs applies equally well to being hit, and bigger creatures distribute the hit more evenly. It is not like two humans who fall at same time are more likely to get gruesomely injured than if they fall one after other (not on top of each other, though :P)

Cub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 04:18:51 pm »

correct me if i am wrong, i appreciate to learn :)

Not at all. DF doesn't model air resistance.
my knowledge in physics is limited... but that means... terminal velocity is infinite? so if i let a plump helmet fall from high enough it might crush even through adamantine floors?

Heavier creatures do take more fall damage right now, though that doesn't mean armor shouldn't protect them from being hit by earth.
i guess the question is which kind of wounds should be prevented. keep in mind that metal might bend and make things even worse. and landing on grass might dampen the body which hits it. if i wear a metal armor... it dampens the armor. but my body is stopped by the armor then, which is equal to land on a metal floor?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 04:27:04 pm »

DF does have terminal velocity, kinda: going faster than 2,7 tiles/frame (~47 z-level fall, I think) imposes a friction nearly thrice the fall acceleration.

A minecart can certainly destroy a target under an adamantine floor without destroying the floor. A plump helmet, not sure? Maybe, they are both falling things after all.

That's a nicely articulated point with grass and metal armor. Ow. If you have only bottom layer count you'd have a reason to wear underclothes, such as socks beneath your high boots.

Cub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 04:59:51 pm »

if wear cloth and don't land all flat so the movement is all stopped by just decreasing the z acceleration you slide in your panties which leads to skid marks because cloth, especially cotton has a high friction which heats up quite badly. ...what means... silk underwear... might make fall damage less bad. uh huh, yup that sounds like dwarf fortress :D

i look forward to see the first dwarf proud about his pink silk panties which saved his life. imagine the engravings! engraved is an image of Urist Deepfall in the air, slowly gliding using his pink silk panties as parachute. A parakeet is in front of him. it is laughing about Urist.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 06:15:03 pm »

Fall damage is modeled in the game as a tile-sized cube of the floor material striking the character at its fall velocity.  In previous versions, the entire strike would hit one bodypart and you might escape with losing a tooth.  Now that impacts spread, at least that should end.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Tatterdemalian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 10:27:10 am »

Some people might want to expand on this, or something, but I simply wanted to say that heavy armor should increase falling damage, instead of deflecting it.

Why? Being heavier doesn't make you fall faster, unless you're a feather or something else with an excessively high surface-area-to-mass ratio. It increases your momentum, but that only impacts what you fall on, not the collision itself. In fact, by making the collision more elastic, steel armor would go a long way toward making itself, and the person contained in it, less prone to damaging deformations from the impact.
Pages: [1] 2 3