Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: LCS 4.12.68  (Read 221117 times)

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
LCS 4.12.68
« on: July 20, 2016, 07:21:33 pm »

Discord Server Link
https://discord.gg/HYbss8eswM

Release:
Thanks to jonathansfox

*Fixed special editions not affecting public opinion

With Music and source code:
https://mega.nz/file/KL5Dwa7R#S-WKWcP82kmQJ0bHlWTVqE69AnMKI837rXNsQ-cWRnw

Without:
https://mega.nz/file/CLAghaZD#P-Vh9_QZYVe4nsOsZl-Kpb9VSaH1pEw8P65Ls_uUaVA
(2022-08-15
7 years, since I started)

Savefile Editor!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those who'd like to help debug can look at the Unstable build.
Available on github.
https://github.com/King-Drake/Liberal-Crime-Squad
Updated to 4.12.67
Older Changes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 06:11:15 pm by IsaacG »
LCS 4.12 Thread
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Constitution of the Confederate States
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Procedural String Support (... Again)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 12:21:35 am »

Does this mean that I'll finally be able to do things like editing combat messages, car chase messages, nerf Secret Service agents always seeing through disguises, etc without having to recompile, and that there will be less hardcoded stuff in LCS? Having creature weapons be hardcoded because that creature is affected by weapon laws when you could just do <WeaponAtLawX>WEAPON_SEMIPISTOL_9MM</WeaponAtLawX> instead(rather than hardcoding) is frustrating.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:23:47 am by Taberone »

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
The List
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 03:27:17 am »

Plans for the Future (At Least, The Complaint List): 55

TOP PRIORITY:

080) Bug: After escaping a safehouse siege, a hostage that was at the lost location 'regained contact' with the LCS and is currently at the shelter. Still registered as a hostage

BUGS: 9
Code: [Select]
063) When you have 2+ squads in a siege, breaking out with one squad deletes the other

064) Can Farm the FIRST CCS Safehouse (Desert Eagle Bar and Grill) Seducing, Datenapping, and Enlightening the CCS Boss, as Long as you Never Kill Him

065) 2nd Squad Attacks SCRUFFYUNNAMEDJANITOR in CIA Break Out

068) Counting Up Votes During the Elections Gets Stuck Instead of Counting up Fluidly

069) Augmenting liberals can have a Probability of Success Above 100%

071) Raiding armories is Treason

076) Unable to Enter University Apartments Once Moved (National Mode, NYC, After Injury)

077) Prison Sometimes Cannot be Exited

078) Prison Sometimes Spawn in Wall

079) Graphical Glitch in Newspapers, Appearance of Accented I
Quality of Life: 1
029) No "Assign All Clips to Liberal" Option, instead needing to Press "9" every Time, Also Add/Remove All Liberals from a Vehicle
Cosmetic: 2
036) "X gasps and soils the floor" Appears too Often

055) Specialized Death Messages e.g. Burning to Death
Improvements or Balance: 41
002) Liberal Weapons cause Instant Alerts unless "Holstered"

004) Lack of Stealth Options to Defeat CCS, Casualties Inevitable

005) Automatic Target System Prioritizes Enemies who are "Dangerous" even once Badly Wounded

007) No "Less than Lethal" Option in Combat

010) RNG-based Datenapping, Failure even if Heavy Armor with a M249

011) "Wasted Potential" with CCS Safehouse, Unused Alternate Entrance (CCS Boss should Attempt Escape)

012) Skill Grinding, Skill Progression set to "Fast" does not affect Most Skills, Including Seduction

014) Assault Rifles are the only Weapons worth using (Knives should Penetrate Armor)

015) SMGs are useless, Inferior to ARs in all ways, and yet have their own Skill

016) Prostitution leads to Automatic Arrest, Unlike Drugs and Graffiti

017) "Protects Against Kidnapping" for Syringe and other Light Weapons, Prevents Kidnapping even against Assault Rifles

018) Compiling the Game is Impossible for anyone without an Enormous Investment in Time, and Specialized Training

019) Gun Control Legislation does not significantly impact Gun Ownership, especially at Arch-Conservative Levels

021) M249s are too Rare, especially Compared to Assault Rifles

022) Cannot Visit Closed Locations, even though the Court System still Functions when Closed

023) Unable to Surrender to Police after First Turn, even if Non-Violent

024) Police Respond with Lethal Force at All Times, no matter how Inappropriate

025) Police Negotiators Turn Liberals into Conservatives, despite being Moderates Themselves

028) Computer and Writing Skills largely usable Only for Illegal Activities, no Profitable Legal Options

030) CCS Only Capable of Violence, Absence of Conservative Guardian or Equivalence

031) Broken "No Reply" option with Hostages, Should at Least take you back to Encounter Screen

032) Overpowered Violence, Destruction  never leads to Escalation or Balkanizing, no Martial Law

033) Juice can be Boosted Most Reliably through Violence, no Other way to Reach the 1000 Cap as Quickly

035) Lack of Harassment on Approaching Site, only when Leaving

037) Stalinist Comrade Squad will Never be Finished

038) Lack of Weapon Variety for Enemies

039) Judicial Nerf makes it Impossible to Avoid Execution, Even with Sleeper Judge, Jury, and Master Attorney

040) "Snowballing", the Game gets Progressively Easier, no Late-Game Threat outside CCS

041) Judicial System is Largely Unaffected by Laws, Should scale from Salem-Witch-Trials to (Effective) Rehabilitation First with Kind Words

042) Unarmed Stealth Kills count as Murder, while Knife Stealth Kills do not

044) Teaching Skill is Useless

045) Death Squad Uniforms are Unarmored

046) Augmentation is Unfinished, namely Some are Free, and Exactly one has a Max-Age Requirement

047) Weaponry Sets based on Gun Control is Hard-Coded, Making New Weapons Unable to Spawn with Existing Creatures

048) CCS Should be Buffed, Possibly with a "Confederate Gazette" and CCS Hackers to Publish LCS Membership

050) Criminal Investigations lack Substance

051) Police Stations are Responsible for Military and Army Raids, Rather than Army Bases

052) Unarmed Persuasion Attacks Drain Juice, but do not Grant Juice to the User

053) Attacks on the Firemen HQ Should Raise Free Speech Support

054) Firemen HQ and Other Locations are Inaccessible Except at Specific Policy Levels

061) Absence of Prison-Based Protest (Gandhi, Anyone?)
Fixed: 25
001) Car Crash Victims Teleport to Safehouse

003) Car Chases with Four Vehicles, Six Conservatives Each, Inevitable Total Party Kill

006) Mistakenly Attacking Innocents during Stealth Melee

008) Repeated Raids even when Police Station is Closed

009) Lack of Raids outside Police and CCS

013) No Individual Reloading Outside Combat, Especially Problematic when using Thrown Weapons alongside Assault Rifles

020) Seeing Through Disguises is Hard-Coded

026) Inability to Repair Clothing in Bulk

027) Inability to Sell or otherwise Dispose of Damaged Clothes

034) Limited University Skills

043) Expensive Suits are Valid Disguises at Bank, but not Expensive Dresses

049) If Only One NPC can be Kidnapped, that NPC is Targetted for Kidnapping without Notifying the Player There is Only One

056) Heat Suddenly Vanishes

057) Secretary of State and Other Cabinet Members Randomly Switch to Arch-Conservative

058) Referendums/Propositions Disproportionately Conservative even when Population is Over 70% Liberal

059) Buildings Don't Change Names after Policy Change

060) Repair Clothing is Bugged, Cannot Dispose of Damaged Equipment

062) Business Front does nothing for the Crack House

066) 24/22 Stealth STILL Getting Caught while Sneaking

067) No ASCII Animations Playing

070) Cars Not Showing up on Vehicle Screen, Can See Letters but not Names

072) XML Errors in Sleeper Theft

073) Drug, Military, and Immigration Issues Often Cannot Become L+

074) See Through Disguise Default Behavior is X-Ray Vision

075) LCS Safehouse Still Listed as Under CCS Control After CCS Defeated

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 12:27:17 pm by IsaacG »
LCS 4.12 Thread
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 11:45:15 pm »

This is an interesting idea, but will be a great deal of work and require some tricky design decisions. For example, there are a lot of instances where the in-game text refers to the character, the location, the laws, etc. For example, when you refer to the courthouse, is it the courthouse (death penalty laws L+ to C) or the Hall of Ultimate Judgement (C+)?

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 01:33:10 am »

This is an interesting idea, but will be a great deal of work and require some tricky design decisions. For example, there are a lot of instances where the in-game text refers to the character, the location, the laws, etc. For example, when you refer to the courthouse, is it the courthouse (death penalty laws L+ to C) or the Hall of Ultimate Judgement (C+)?

This is part of why I dropped it last time, as I didn't have the expertise necessary to answer that.
Currently I plan to have it use either XML or custom escape characters.  I'm leaning towards the latter, like every time the string "\S" appears, the game will replace it with the LCS slogan.
There are definitely specific instances of greater difficulty, such as the various words that get replaced when free speech is especially low, or like the CEO code that rejects seduction attempts based on the seducer's gender.  These especially specific cases are where I expect to find the greatest difficulty, but many of the simpler cases can be transferred to external files first.

tl;dr
Long term there are quite a few changes, but right now I'm focusing on custom messages that rely on little or no internal logic, such as the pickup lines (excluding when CEOs are involved).
LCS 4.12 Thread
Article I Sec. 9 4

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 02:38:28 pm »

« on: August 18, 2015 »

Holy hell, it's been a year and a day (exactly...) since I started this, and I have completed my originally stated goal.
CUSTOM PICKUP LINES!

I've spent the past year learning how to code in C++, and it has been unpleasant.  Self-study is not a course of action I recommend for anything complicated.
LCS 4.12 Thread
Article I Sec. 9 4

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
Re: Procedural String Support (Custom Pickup Lines, and MORE)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 07:27:27 pm »

Updated to include another 35 files.
New custom strings to make custom messages without recompiling.
I also refactored the source code a fair amount, but I am yet to find out the results there.
LCS 4.12 Thread
Article I Sec. 9 4

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
Re: Procedural String Support (Custom Pickup Lines, and MORE)
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 11:47:59 am »

DONE!
122 files split into 13 folders.  .exe filesize decreased by several percent.
This is just about all the text data that can be removed safely, moving from hard-coded to freely editable .txt.
As a demonstration for how easy it is, I present Marklar Mode!

[deleted]

Edit: Whoops, it turns out if you alter the code to make there only be one last name, the game doesn't run.  Marklar Mode works now, but last names aren't all "Marklar".  Whatever, it's a gag mod.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:23:20 pm by IsaacG »
LCS 4.12 Thread
Article I Sec. 9 4

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Procedural String Support (Custom Pickup Lines, and Marklar Mode!)
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 09:14:27 pm »

Holy shit. LCS really is being dragged into the modern world kicking and screaming. Thanks, man!

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 08:13:10 am »

Holy shit. LCS really is being dragged into the modern world kicking and screaming. Thanks, man!
So far, I've done most of the kicking and screaming, but LCS is having a turn.
LCS 4.12 Thread
Article I Sec. 9 4

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 12:11:16 pm »

Updated to include 10 more files, mostly building name generation.  Also I moved the populate_from_txt() method to its own file, so I don't have to reopen game.cpp every time I want to add a few new strings.
I think I'm going to work on that "Secret Service Agents see through disguises" thing, try to migrate it out into the XML.
LCS 4.12 Thread
Article I Sec. 9 4

Orlanth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 10:52:34 pm »

Woww what a liberally awesome idea!  :) Would it eventually be possible to expose some more of the game data to modding by XML? I see there are XML files for Creatures and Loot etc (although there is some hardcoding there); other things that would be great to mod would be Activities/Crimes and their associated Juice and Heat values, and possibly Locations with tags referring to the Creatures and Loot encountered there.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:00:44 am by Orlanth »

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 09:27:19 am »

Woww what a liberally awesome idea!  :) Would it eventually be possible to expose some more of the game data to modding by XML? I see there are XML files for Creatures and Loot etc (although there is some hardcoding there); other things that would be great to mod would be Activities/Crimes and their associated Juice and Heat values, and possibly Locations with tags referring to the Creatures and Loot encountered there.
That is pretty much the goal.
LCS 4.12 Thread
Article I Sec. 9 4

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
Re: Procedural String Support (Custom Pickup Lines and News Articles!)
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 12:43:41 pm »

I feel justified in calling this release "4.11".
I've extracted the strings from majorevent.cpp, making the news articles largely customizable.  (64 new files...)
LCS 4.12 Thread
Article I Sec. 9 4

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 06:56:00 pm »

I added in easy_compile mode.  A while back I removed the externs.h and includes.h files, well easy_compile mode adds them back in, for all but about ten files that I changed too much to easily reinclude it.
Thus on a file by file basis, most of my changes can be migrated to 4.10 (Augmentation) without issue.

The zip contains an image that lists all the files without easy_compile support.
LCS 4.12 Thread
Article I Sec. 9 4
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23