Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'Cursed' item/transformation syndromes question  (Read 626 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
'Cursed' item/transformation syndromes question
« on: July 20, 2016, 04:09:55 pm »

Working on a new idea for a mod, one of the ideas I had was a cursed item that could be produced.  The item would be very high quality, but long term use would have risks to the user.  I know DFHack has an item-syndrome type deal that could be used for something in this vein, but what about in vanilla?  Is there any way to create something that's not immediately dangerous, but transforms or otherwise harms the user over a long period of time?  Ideally, it shouldn't even be a 'will always do an awful thing after X days' thing, but a 'someday, a bad thing will happen' mechanic to add risk and danger to an otherwise valuable item.

EDIT:  Also, related to this same idea, creating functional creatures through reactions is basically impossible without DFHack-ery, right?  Typical 'make a golem' stuff is what I had in mind, and I swear LFR managed it without DF Hack, but I can't remember how.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:14:20 pm by Thuellai »
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: 'Cursed' item/transformation syndromes question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 05:58:44 pm »

If there were a way to do it in vanilla, I wouldn't have made the DFHack script.

LFR did manage it without DFHack, using creature that have limbs that evaporate, dropping a now-severed grasper on the floor that could be reanimated and transformed, at which point it would immediately die then be resurrected. This is somewhat unreliable.