Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: SoundCenSe, a c# port of SoundSense  (Read 77216 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: SoundCenSe, a c# port of SoundSense
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 02:36:37 am »

if .net4.5.1 is only available for win7/8/10, it would not work for me either.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Algorithman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 05:47:14 am »

Hi Pirate,

you left out a vital information: Which version can you use?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 07:57:49 am »

latest version my OS can install is ".net framework 4"
i hope SounCense doesn't use any functions that aren't included in that version yet.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:48:30 am by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Algorithman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 04:47:48 am »

No, Net4 is perfectly fine. I can probably go lower too. And i decided on the audio library.

SDL2 + SDL2_mixer

Should work perfectly, its already cross platform, reads mp3, ogg and much more, supports channels with callbacks.
Maybe i can finish this weekend.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 05:45:36 pm »

No! No Python!

Python has one HUGE problem, it's really slow. Anyone who uses Python for developing "real" applications is asking for performance trouble down the line.

.NET and JVM are OK (but not the best) because they use JIT native compilation or similar to get almost native speeds, but Python just uses a straight VM with all the performance problems that implies.

If you can't compile to native code, you have way too much overhead for large apps. The worst part is that the slow kinda sneaks up on you, and by the time you realize it's too slow it is too late to change.

Most Python apps have the most performance critical parts written in C (although most Python programmers just use the libraries and never realize this), if it was all Python it would never be fast enough.

Unless you're working with critical, embedded systems the speed difference doesn't matter in most cases. Parsing gamelog.txt output to produce the appropriate sound effect shouldn't be an exception.

DeDeRon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 04:01:09 am »

To be fair, I really don't care for Java either, but it's hard to find a similarly portable solution, let alone one that doesn't require access to every platform to build on.
Try Go.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 06:36:48 am »

Yeah, I know about Go. I was thinking of a native UI, which, from what I remember, is still a work in progress. I guess a web UI could work (there's a legends viewer that uses that strategy), but I imagine it would take extra effort to shut down the server automatically, if people want to do that.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 12:29:12 pm »

I use Go all the time, but one thing it lack is good UI libraries. The only UI packages are half-assed bindings to C libraries.

Web UIs work so-so (I use one for Rubble, which is written in Go), but they simply are not as good as native. Stick with C# for UI work (just use mono for Linux and OSX).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 01:58:41 pm »

Like I said, I haven't gotten Mono to work well at all in the past, let alone with GUI applications.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Algorithman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 02:42:57 pm »

Even debian runs mono gui's just fine (jessie with mono 3.2.8). What platform are you on, lethosor?

But debian has another flaw. SDL2_mixer relies on the smpeg2 library, which is (yes you guessed right) not included at all in debian so far.
And SDL 1.2 does mp3's only as music (only one music at a time) and cannot load it as sound chunks.
At the moment i'm even going so far as to think of a c# mp3 decoder implementation, but that sucks up too much cpu (on my computer around 2.5%/channel, mixing not included).

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 02:52:45 pm »

I had trouble getting Mono to build GUI applications on OS X and Ubuntu (I didn't get to the "running" stage). That could've been due to them using something which Mono didn't support or only partially supported (e.g. WinForms?).

Algorithman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 03:07:15 pm »

Maybe the program you tried used VisualStyles (which are currently not supported). Standard win32 theme should work. (See http://www.mono-project.com/docs/gui/winforms/)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 03:07:32 pm »

Mono didn't support WinForms for a long time, but it does now I think.

At the moment i'm even going so far as to think of a c# mp3 decoder implementation, but that sucks up too much cpu (on my computer around 2.5%/channel, mixing not included).

How hard is it to call into C code with C#? If not too hard you could use a game audio library (DF itself uses FMod I think, so if you used that you could use the same SO/DLL and not need to ship as much stuff).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Algorithman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 03:13:10 pm »

Actually i'm just trying FMOD just now :)

Update: Fmod works on debian quite well, now on to the real stuff
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:13:25 pm by Algorithman »

Algorithman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2016, 02:58:38 pm »

FMOD conversion is quite done now.

I'm currently looking for someone who is willing to try it on OSX, i can provide the FMOD binaries (dunno if i am allowed to share them without the project itself, EULA's are really not my thing  :D)

New Release 1.2.4 is up (links in first post)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 03:10:18 pm by Algorithman »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8