Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: SoundCenSe, a c# port of SoundSense  (Read 76792 times)

Algorithman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundCenSe, a c# port of SoundSense
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2017, 09:52:18 am »

you're welcome

I think the wrong checksum error actually
is wanted by zwei to be able to update the other xml files without changing the main xml.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2017, 11:40:30 pm »

It's been a while since I played DF and I sort of forgot that SoundCenSe was a thing. Since it looks like this is still being developed and since a C# port is probably more CPU efficient, perhaps it is possible to implement a suggestion I made for Soundsense?

Zwei, would it be feasible to code SoundSense such that it could access the "soundpack.zip" archive and treat it as if it was the "packs" folder? It would save a lot of disk space!

I know Windows Explorer is able to treat .zip files as if they were merely sub-directories. Even so, I guess you'd have to include LZH decompression/compression algothrithms or plugins to make that work? Also, it would probably conflict with the AutoUpdate feature, correct? Though, personally, I wouldn't mind disabling AutoUpdate if it meant being able to use a .zip for the packs directory.

Whoa, difference is nearly 50mb. I actually thought mp3s would compress really bad.

Reading zip file is problematic - it can be done, but utility/work ratio is bad, imho.

Would this be worth it, coding SoundCenSe to read directly from a .ZIP of the sounds? Or, would this be a bad idea for some reason?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2017, 01:16:38 am »

Reading a zip is any where from trivial to very difficult, depending on what library you use.

Not sure how it is for C#...

It would be a cool feature though, not just go save disk space.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2017, 07:10:31 am »

You'd have to decompress a sound file before you could play it. (Windows Explorer unzips files into the temp directory when you try to open them.) This could create a delay before each sound plays for the first time.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2017, 05:57:56 pm »

Right, but just to clarify, you wouldn't necessarily have to decompress them to new files (depends on what you're using to play sound, I suppose). Disk I/O could create delays, but I wouldn't expect decompression to unless the sounds are really long.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2017, 06:23:04 pm »

You can extract individual items from a zip file easy. Just decompress into a memory buffer and play from there. I do similar things in Rubble all the time. Decompressing a few megs to memory is fast enough you won't notice delays (provided it is done properly).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

jseph1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2017, 05:05:56 pm »

Those are some pretty rockin enhancements, particularly the "no Java" part :)
Yeah, but the downside to that is the Windows-only part.
Who gives a Sh!t, at least he did it and A LOT of us are Windows only users!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2017, 08:42:41 pm »

The post you are replying to is 17 months old. SoundCenSe has Linux and Mac builds now.

SneakyGunz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2018, 07:47:06 am »

Thanks for this solution. The autodetect is not working with the packaged starter pack.
Directing it to:
    C:\Users\SneakyGunz\Desktop\DwarfFortress\Dwarf Fortress 44.05\Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05\gamelog.txt
worked perfectly. Thank you, thank you.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2018, 08:40:03 am »

The post you are replying to is 17 months old. SoundCenSe has Linux and Mac builds now.
can't find a linux download. is it all in the same downloadfile now?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2018, 08:44:20 am »

I assume it's this, because I don't see another relevant link:
or compile it from source: https://github.com/Algorithman/SoundCenSe

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2018, 08:47:55 am »

I assume it's this, because I don't see another relevant link:
or compile it from source: https://github.com/Algorithman/SoundCenSe
doesnt look like what i'm searching for.
well, as far as i see, the latest universal version is already in mephs pack and in the LNP, so i just try using it.
Pvt. Pirate is a dabbling Linux User.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:02:19 am by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2018, 10:18:03 am »

To clarify, I'm saying that there probably isn't a download for Linux available, so you won't be able to find it. The alternative is building from source.

I'm confused by your comment. What is the "latest universal version"? What is "the" LNP (link?) and "mephs pack"? The latter in particular sounds like a Windows-only pack to me, unless Meph has put out a separate pack, which means either the SoundCenSe in that pack won't work at all on Linux, or you're actually talking about SoundSense, which is cross-platform but is not what this thread is about (see the thread title).

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2018, 10:27:51 am »

well, my post must have been confusing...
i can run DF through wine (using mephs pack), but neither SoundSense nor SoundCense seem to work under wine.
so what i am trying to do is running them directly in linux (which might be a foolish attempt) and point to the gamelog.txt inside wine.
i don't care which of the soundprograms will work as i'll just use the first one that does.

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2018, 10:44:37 am »

The latest LNPs (linux/lazy newb pack) have soundsense and soundcenseGTK included. Soundsense works here on debian wheezy, the soundcenseGTK doesnt, I assume it needs certain mono libraries arranged for it.
Klok the Kloker !
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8