Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: System/Software requirements of latest DF build?  (Read 1734 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
System/Software requirements of latest DF build?
« on: July 24, 2016, 03:16:53 am »

I am currently on Linux Mint and when I went for my DF session, it seemed to either crash on startup or refuse to open. Are there any software requirements to running DF that I may be missing, or have I encountered a rare glitch?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: System/Software requirements of latest DF build?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 09:08:24 am »

Do the earlier ones work?

And yeah there are some software requirements - the 32 bit requires some separate installs of 32bit libraries. I think you now need gclib? 4.8+ to run it.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 12:38:27 pm »

Crash on startup/refuse to open also sounds like a really common anti-virus problem for a large number of games.  Maybe try turning your AV and firewall off temporarily and then try again?
Nom nom nom

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 01:06:49 pm »

start it with ./df in a terminal and tell us the output.

Crash on startup/refuse to open also sounds like a really common anti-virus problem for a large number of games.  Maybe try turning your AV and firewall off temporarily and then try again?
He is using gnu/linux. Iptables and clamav won't hinder df.  :D

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 01:31:22 am »

bash: ./df: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 04:15:33 am »

That's weird, that ^M shouldn't be there. Try running dos2unix on the file.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 06:37:02 am »

./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I guess I'm missing a library. Thank you all for the help.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 12:38:25 pm »

bash: ./df: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Just to confirm, is this an issue with a fresh download of 0.43.05 (64-bit Linux)? Did you use something special to extract it? This should definitely be reported if it's an issue with a clean download using tar or something similar to extract it.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 10:14:30 pm »

Just to confirm, is this an issue with a fresh download of 0.43.05 (64-bit Linux)? Did you use something special to extract it? This should definitely be reported if it's an issue with a clean download using tar or something similar to extract it.

Newest Linux download runs fine for me on Debian, no DOS line endings or unusual requirements. OP probably followed old instructions and installed 32-bit libraries without realizing it, upgraded from the last DF version and didn't swap the 32-bit libraries for 64-bit libraries, or failed to install them at all. No idea how OP managed to get DOS line endings.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:23:11 pm by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 07:11:48 pm »

I'm kind of curious if Dwarf Fortress runs on Ubuntu or Steam OS (without having to compile anything, that is). I'm wondering about those two distributions in particular because they are probably pretty noobie-friendly distributions of Linux.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 07:19:38 pm »

Mm. I had to install the above-mentioned missing libraries for 43.05 on Lubuntu, but I already previously installed other libraries for 32-bit fort. Overall: unsure, but I'd wager on no.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 08:16:40 pm »

No? Why not? Is DF broken for you? I'd expect to have seen reports if DF doesn't run on Ubuntu (heck, Toady compiles DF on Ubuntu).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 12:05:57 am »

Well, unless installing the 32-bit 1.2 libs uninstalled the 64-bit 2.0 libs my OS install probably came without those needed libraries (nothing few minutes in package manager didn't solve).

If that is "broken" DF has been "broken" for..Iunno, half a decade given the wiki versioning?