Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do megabeasts ever die during worldgen?  (Read 2820 times)

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do megabeasts ever die during worldgen?
« on: July 23, 2016, 06:18:47 am »

After generating several worlds, most over 1000 years old, I've noticed megabeasts never seem to die, leaving the world in a perpetual Age of Myth. Looking at their histories in Legends mode, most of them have had several confrontations with cities/fortresses, but they always seem to win.

I've tried several world parameters - from pocket to medium size, from medium to very high civs and sites, and from low to high MB numbers, but the result is always the same. What are your experiences when it comes to this?

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do megabeasts ever die during worldgen?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 06:39:33 am »

That's strange, I have had it come down to 1 megabeast before in worldgen when I set it to minimum megabeasts, so they do get killed during worldgen in my experience

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 07:09:02 am »

That's strange, I have had it come down to 1 megabeast before in worldgen when I set it to minimum megabeasts, so they do get killed during worldgen in my experience

Do you remember which version that was, or how long ago? Reading around the forums, it seems a certain update drastically changed how megabeast combat works during worldgen. Before, most MBs would get slaughtered within the first one hundred years or so, while now it seems to be the exact opposite.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 07:10:59 am by Hapchazzard »

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 07:59:45 am »

Do you remember which version that was, or how long ago? Reading around the forums, it seems a certain update drastically changed how megabeast combat works during worldgen. Before, most MBs would get slaughtered within the first one hundred years or so, while now it seems to be the exact opposite.

I am quite sure the version was after 42.00, I will test this out on 42.06 later today

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 02:39:17 pm »

Yes.

Also, I believe this belongs in DF Q&A :P

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 02:45:25 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 10:28:07 am »

I'm playing in the latest 43. Version. I'll try with 42. to see if there's any difference.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 12:11:24 pm »

In whole honesty the Megabeasts should rarely be killed off and definitely shouldn't be by anything less than a champion.

But it is usually just rank peasants who seem to luck into killing the Bronze colossus (one of the most unkillable megabeasts bar none)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 02:33:40 pm »

Yes.

. . . why CowMuffin?!

And Megabeasts DO die, which can be frustrating in smaller worldgens when you want a long history, civs to trade with and dragons to fight. For vanilla worldgen settings, this trifecta is tough to achieve.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:36:05 pm by Salmeuk »

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 05:55:23 pm »

I am quite sure the version was after 42.00, I will test this out on 42.06 later today

Sorry I meant I will test in 43.05 but accidentaly said 42.06, but I just tried it in 43.05 and they do die during worldgen

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 06:47:25 am »

Huh, this is pretty strange. I just tested in 42. In a very crowded small world, I finally had a single roc get killed by a troll. In another world, a titan got killed by a cave dragon. But that's it. In the other 5 worlds I generated, not a single megabeast got killed. So they do die, but (to me at least) exceedingly rarely. What kind of world parameters did you have to get MB's killed more often?

In whole honesty the Megabeasts should rarely be killed off and definitely shouldn't be by anything less than a champion.

But it is usually just rank peasants who seem to luck into killing the Bronze colossus (one of the most unkillable megabeasts bar none)

As I've said, I've yet to get an actual mortal(dwarf, human, etc.) kill a MB. Not even fortresses can stop them.

I've noticed something interesting, however. It seems that, while MBs constantly attack civs in the first few centuries of worldgen, their attacks seem to tone down a lot after that. My hypothesis is that, while they win every battle, they eventually sustain permanent wounds and stop attacking major settlements for their own well-being, hence never getting killed(except by the occasional wildlife). Could this be the case?

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 06:56:31 am »

Huh, this is pretty strange. I just tested in 42. In a very crowded small world, I finally had a single roc get killed by a troll. In another world, a titan got killed by a cave dragon. But that's it. In the other 5 worlds I generated, not a single megabeast got killed. So they do die, but (to me at least) exceedingly rarely. What kind of world parameters did you have to get MB's killed more often?

I generated the world to the size next to pocket, and set the civilizations number to the highest then the megabeasts number to lowest and also history to very long, but only shortly after worldgen began all megabeasts got killed and it became the golden age then after a few years it became the age of goblins

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 12:55:05 pm »

conversely if current megas and semi megas are below the starting number they will breed to replenish their numbers.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 01:59:34 pm »

They seem to die less now than they used to (I've never even seen a roc in game because they've been consistently dying in worldgen since they were introduced), but they still die on occation, not sure what he changed, but I'm way happier with the new system.

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 05:30:16 pm »

If a civ has a big enough number of jabberers megabeasts and demon princes will be ripped apart by angry giant emus if they try anything.

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 05:43:11 pm »

They seem to die less now than they used to (I've never even seen a roc in game because they've been consistently dying in worldgen since they were introduced), but they still die on occation, not sure what he changed, but I'm way happier with the new system.

Yeah in my current world there was a roc Tipi the Heliotrope Gold who was killed in the year 25 by a elephant
Pages: [1] 2