Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: [Pathfinder] Haeum Sung (Game over, thanks for playing!)  (Read 35427 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Pathfinder] Potential pathfinder game
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 03:46:12 am »

Looking into it from the paizo site using the spell index, a lot of necromancy spells have the negative energy portion listed in the more fluffy section of the text rather than the mechanical section of it. The spells that tend to describe it as specifically negative energy damage also tend to specifcally say how they interact with undead.

Spectral Hand makes a lot of touch distance spells a lot more useful. You may want to look up the spells Disrupt Undead (0 level) and Repair Undead (1st level) as well. Chill Touch might be your best bet healing efficiency wise depending on how Skyrunner rules it as you've noted. It has a specific effect listed for undead (no healing, pseudo fear effect) so how it affects you might be a bit iffy.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2016, 04:12:38 am »

Yeah, I already looked into those, but Disrupt Undead just doesn't seem like it would have any utility even as a cantrip, and there's other stuff like Vanish and Mage Armor that are more worth taking as 1st level spells than Repair Undead (I guess I could actually get a wand of repairing undead just in case, though). Same applies for something like Spectral Hand, which means I use two spells to deliver the somewhat underwhelming Vampiric Touch or Chill Touch, and a 2nd level spell known isn't really anything to sneeze at. For instance, with a 2nd level spell slot I could get Command Undead instead, which is considerably better at a much lower cost of actions. And instead of casting Spectral Hand I can cast Flaming Sphere instead. I don't think it'd be legitimately worth trying to salvage the utility of Vampiric Touch as an attack spell by spending yet more of my resources to do it, especially considering how much other good stuff there is to make use of.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2016, 05:08:59 am »

As for vampiric touch - iirc you gain an equal amount as the damage done, right? So if it were negative energy, and the target is immune to Negenergy, you would do no damage and gain no HP. Right?
Love, scriver~

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2016, 05:17:16 am »

I'm not immune to negging, see, negging actually heals me (and positive energy harms me, opposite of living people). So that's why I'd say if it was negative energy it would heal me and add no temp HP, and it might work the same way on other undead.

If it's just an untyped drain, though, it wouldn't do anything if you applied it to yourself, and would work on other undead just fine.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 06:14:20 am »

Inquisitors are ok, right? it seems from the introduction that only full caster divine classes got their link completely disrupted.

I am currently trying to make an inquisitor with the vampire hunter archetype, focused on eliminating undeath and keeping the rest of the group safe during extended journeys outside the walls ( there are many utility spells and items to keep safe from undead.).

One question however: is it allowed to be devoted on something that is not properly a god? rules say that such divine classes are allowed but conditional on gM approval. I was thinking about my character being a worshipper of the sun, seen as a source of mystycal light that will one day sweep the land again and burn all undead.

also: I propose we set apart a small portion of everyone's starting wealth to buy a guild house in town, where we can reside and have our little labs and facilities ( barring the dhampir, we don't want the guildhouse burned everytime we go out  :P).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2016, 07:06:52 am »

It seems that, by the rules of the book, the Silver Crane discipline can only be accessed by joining the Empyreal Guardian association. How do you want to approach it? Do you want to refit them to the setting, or shall we make something up?
Love, scriver~

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2016, 08:02:32 am »

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=888828
Mythweavers get~ no more gogol documants for me :l
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2016, 08:26:05 am »

It seems that any 9 or 10 RP races are "typical PC races." And since racial points are even less accurate than CR, 11 is probalbly fine too. Which race are you looking at?

Dhampir. Specifically, a Dhampir Sorcerer of the Undead Bloodline for maximum theme value.

PTW even if I have no idea what Pathfinder is. :D Excited to see this.

An offshoot of D&D. It's free on the internet! A bit vast, but the systems are all there, I believe.

EDIT: oof, retroninja'd.
PTW even if I have no idea what Pathfinder is. :D Excited to see this.
it is basically D&D 3.5
you can find all the relevant content online here
Thanks you two :3 Planning to make a sheet here myself, if only for the experience of doing so.
Going to edit this in a few hours. Thanks a ton!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2016, 08:29:37 am »

Sure, be an inquisitor that worships the sun. If your class is not in the "You cannot be:" section, you can play it!

Re: Downtime rules - While the concept seems cool, I think they're ultimately not worth it. If you want to make some sort of business, probably just do it on a case-by-case basis.

Re: Silver Crane. Fluff rules are always malleable. However you work Silver Crane into your backstory -- be it by the Empyreal Guardians, some other source, or divine inspiration -- is fine!

Alchemists Guild: The Yeongum Won used to be headed by the founder and ruler of Haeum Sung, Tian Ranxi. Though at first it was a small collection of alchemists with a great dream of a modern city, the ... situation outside the gates has quickly made the Yeongum Won a prestigious organization. By a series of political agreements a century ago, Tian Ranxi and all future rulers are forbidden to also lead any guild, so the current guild leader is a goblin by the name of Forvaldr Hillclan: an old creature, scarred with his countless failures that lead to him being a good enough alchemist to lead the entire Yeongeum Won.

Today, the alchemists' guild is a highly structured organization. Aspiring alchemists are admitted into the school located in Haeum Sung West and their performance decides whether they can enter the Yeongum Won as a full apprentice or simply leave and strike out on their own, marked by the fact that they were rejected by the guild. One task that many of the lower-ranked alchemists take care of is producing filters for the waterworks, both for recycling "grey" water into potable water and for sewage. Another menial task alchemists slightly higher up do is produce Sunglobes and alchemical fertilizer for the miracle farms... a dangerous task because of the slight chance of explosion.

(I am bad at just up and producing lore, any specific info you want?)

EDIT: guys don't forget your two traits!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:38:38 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2016, 02:45:16 pm »

Ok, prepared a sheet.
Not entirely sure yet if I want to keep the vampire hunter archetype or go back to the main class ( it has few advantages), but it should be mostly as you see it now.

Meet Ricchar, inquisitor of the sun zealots, devoted to extermination of all undead and the return of sunlight to the world.

Rising sun is just the name of my oversize morningstar. I thought it would be fitting to use such a weapon for a sun worshipper.

There is some overlap in spells with the oracle, but I don't think anyone is going to complain about more restoration being available, in an undead campaign :P ( also more hide from undead and detect undead. very useful).

I also supply protection from evil , consacrate and halt undead for extra protection and utility.

As for healing/debuff reduction, I have cure moderate wounds, remove fear, remove paralysis , lesser restoration.
Remove disease comes next level, so try to pass fortitude saves against ghoul fever and mummy rot.

With regards to skill, Ricchard focuses on knowledge , survival, perception, even better when it comes to tracking and identifying weaknesses and abilities. Basically, I am your ranger.
Also, good sense motive and the discern lies spell as a class ability.

Small note about class abilities: they don't fit in the sheet. there are just too many.

Combat style will mostly involve lobbing a ball of massive damage at undead.

Still working on personality. Will be a bit grim but hopeful, a life goal is peering above the soul fog to see the sun in its full might.

edit: how accurately are we tracking spell components?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:06:55 pm by andrea »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2016, 06:42:22 pm »

essentially if it's a spell component that Enschew Materials the feat covers, you don't need to track it.

EDIT: To double check if I missed anything, I have the following sheets. Most of them are unfinished and that's fine.

"Max" (possibly temporary name), TN Dhampir Sorcerer -- Harry B.
Maeva Delspire, CE Half-elf Old Gods Oracle -- Nightly
Ricchar, NG hooman SUN Inquisitor --  Andrea
Amini, NG Samsaran Ancestors Oracle -- Masked Taquito
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 07:11:35 pm by Skyrunner »

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2016, 08:57:21 pm »

That is a large amount of divine :l
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2016, 02:12:00 am »

Who needs a cleric when you have two oracles!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2016, 02:20:11 am »

My Warlord provides minor healing by hitting things with his sword
Love, scriver~

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2016, 05:16:23 am »

wounds will not be a problem, indeed.
but undeads can be quite nasty with ability and level drain, and diseases.
thankfully, in a few level we will have the whole list covered.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24