Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: exploits and kitten care  (Read 1408 times)

frighowler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
exploits and kitten care
« on: July 26, 2016, 11:30:49 am »

Weapon traps filled with crossbows will be loaded with individual bolts (10 per crossbow). Bolts can not be designated to melt while loaded in the trap. It requires deconstruction of the trap. The components will scatter on deconstruction so surrounding the trap with a ammo stockpile set to links only and using dfhack automelt can semi automate the process. Any metal components of the trap may also be melted. Finally a reason to build a bowyers workshop.

Also danger room health and safety. A pond with a bridge on the access route will stop cats and teach swimming.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: exploits and kitten care
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 12:47:53 pm »

Do loading the traps gain Mechanic skills?

frighowler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 01:40:29 pm »

Do loading the traps gain Mechanic skills?
sorry, it's more to do with an infinite metals exploit involving arrow stacks. i should have mentioned. a stack of 25 bolts costs one bar to make but an individual bolt returns 0.1 so 10 bolts equal 1 bar. so 4 25 bolt stacks when melted will return 10 bars. it's been known about for ages but all the ways of exploiting it have been convoluted. there is more on the wiki. It works with candy. Also crossbows in traps :D.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:33:50 pm by frighowler »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 04:13:28 pm »

I take it that the bolts don't inherit their melted markings when split?

When it comes to kitten care, care to elaborate on the design? Though I have not built entrances with only way in over a bridge over a pit yet, no overseer has mentioned pet cats not getting through that, even in succession forts with inherited designs.

Though that may be just because if a kitten dies in a forest and bay12er is watching, nobody cares.

frighowler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 04:30:59 pm »

It's just when you have doors marked no pets or even locked all cats seem to immediately path for it. but if it's a pond 4 to 6 deep they don't seem to. the bridge just acts as a door that you can link to a repeater kill switch. this is for a danger room. to stop miasma. also i don't have a forest, the elves aren't happy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 04:38:50 pm by frighowler »