Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good Weather and Good Clouds  (Read 545 times)

OluapPlayer

• Bay Watcher
  • In a time before time, I attacked me.
    • View Profile
Good Weather and Good Clouds
« on: July 25, 2016, 08:06:08 am »

In order to make good-aligned areas a little more on par with the evil ones, perhaps they could have their own equivalents of evil weather and clouds. The weather would have their own generated names like evil ones do, say for example "blissful mist" or "pleasant water", but I'm sure Toady can come up with something better than these. For good rain, it could be made out of strange water, say water that radiates a rainbow color or is sugary in texture. There could also perhaps be rains made out of the tears of civilized beings, like how evil biomes have rains made of blood.

As for good clouds, they would be manifested by a force (you know, the elf equivalent of gods) and display a message like "A cloud of fey energies has drifted nearby!". It would be harmless to animals (perhaps it could have a powerful regenerating effect on them, curing syndromes and wounds?) and cause euphoric happy thoughts on creatures who respect or are otherwise not against nature (elves, humans and kobolds) while causing powerful nausea and unhappy thoughts on races who disrespect nature (dwarves and goblins).

In the most !!FUN!! scenarios, however, the force will take over the mind of the affected creature, empowering them with magic and transforming them into a ruthless protector of nature, the good biome's own equivalent of undead thralls. These protectors, perhaps called something along the lines of "Fey Afflicted" or "Enlightened", become unthinking instruments of punishment in the name of the force which generated the cloud, actively hunting down all civilizations who disrespect nature (read: dwarves and gobbos again) as well as those witnessed felling trees in their presence. They'd also be at peace with wildlife in order to stop them from murdering critters accidentally as they try to get into your fort.

This is the first time I suggest anything here but I thought it would be an interesting way to spice good surroundings up a bit. Even if they're good, it doesn't mean they're good for dwarves in specific, right?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good Weather and Good Clouds
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 09:29:03 am »

Good clouds are nice. Would be fun to have a bunch of goblin bandits stop trying to kill you and start dancing because they get hit with happy rain.

Although 'good' and 'evil' biomes are being thrown out in place of generating unique universes and all the assorted biomes and cloud types that'll be generated along with it. Hopefully there's 'good' and 'bad' effects coming along with the obligatory 'totally crazy' of course.

fucduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 09:27:27 am »

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:21:07 am by fucduck »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good Weather and Good Clouds
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 12:23:21 pm »

Being a source of certain magic energies raining down directly would be a nice alternative to having explicit effects, raw globs of unstable magic that has fed into the natural environment, giving rise to the fantastical unicorns wamblers and faeries, not to mention eggs that grow on trees and other strange things.

'Mostly' harmless unless agitated like most things in a good biome, don't clean yourself with it or drink it for fear of having some random ailment like growing the ears of a donkey or your skin suddenly turning into wood (harmless stuff besides vomiting and nausea to provoke bad thoughts).
  • Would make a nice substitute reagent for wizards i guess, rub a deliberately diluted (for safety) and concentrated amount on like sunscreen for a extra burst of magic vitality.
  • In some ways since elves seem to gravitate towards good forests (and with some modding. other good areas too) perhaps the nature spirit can subsist on this energy, besides whatever else the elves do in those mysterious druidic circles