Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Physician, heal thyself  (Read 1397 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Physician, heal thyself
« on: July 25, 2016, 02:15:14 pm »

The medical science in DF seems to be close to the barber-surgeon tradition, which fits dwarves thematically as they treat the body much like a machine in need of repair.  Add in bloodletting for injected toxins and you're basically done.

But surgery is not the only kind of medicine.  Even when most people accepted that haircuts and amputations ought to happen in the same shop, there was still a rival tradition of physicians who specialized in drugs and therapies.  This sister field to herbalists and alchemists seems like the elven way of healing.  Humans did both (badly) during DF's target time period.

Getting physicians to work at a basic level would require a simple raw update: the ability to add a negative concentration to a syndrome.  Generic symptomatic relief could also be accomplished with syndromes with negative severity ratings, though this could easily get overpowered.  Some of these remedies might be directly in plant extracts, while others would need to be produced using reactions with multiple reagents.

Bringing physicians on par with surgeons would require some medical procedures, in particular the ability to prescribe a specific remedy to a specific patient (rather than relying on cumbersome burrow assignments to get the poor sap to drink his medicine).  A prescription for a non-existent remedy would queue up a job to produce it.  Fort settings would control whether the job sticks around if the reagents are not yet available, or if the original patient recovers/dies.

Some prescriptions could be for simple therapies rather than specific medicines, for example a cold bath to reduce fever.

Adding in side-effects would be fairly simple (short-lived numbness with your cold bath, etc.), but to really get the feeling of medieval medicine the surgeons and physicians should be able to make mistakes.  Physically messing the procedure up is a distinct possibility, but without modern imaging and chemical testing the most likely fault will be misdiagnosing the problem.

The only previous hit I got on misdiagnosis was here.  It's reasonable for a physician to mistake The Undulating Planes Fever for Scorchedhair Fever, but it would be silly for a surgeon to miss a compound leg fracture.  What I'm proposing as a fairly equivalent system for both is to let the diagnostician generate a craftsmanship level for the diagnosis, which then governs how effective the treatment would be.  For example, the same traction bench can be used appropriately or inappropriately, depending on the diagnosis informing treatment.

Does this sound reasonable to everyone?  Did my search miss some megathread where all of this was already hashed out?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Physician, heal thyself
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 04:14:13 am »

The ability to remove or reduce syndromes has been a major request for a while now, especially by modders.  I expect it will show up at some point.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 09:03:10 am »

I'd love this, especially when they mess up. "Here, drink this, it'll stop the blee- STOP EXPLODING BLOOD!!!"
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:36:26 am »

Physican seems more appropriate for an all-around medical dwarf, using both herbs and sutures as required. A more correct term for what you describe would be Apothecary. Possible titles for dwarves with multiple medical skills:

Physical practices (Wound Dresser, Bone Setter, Surgeon, Physical Therapist) only = Doctor
Medicines (Herbologist*, Alchemist, Animal Dissector) only = Apothecary
Religious practices (Faith Healer, Resurrectionist, Exorcist) only = Miracle Worker (Thaumaturge is cooler, but I doubt it'd catch on)
Physical + Medicines (and Diagnostician) = Physician
Medicines + Religious = Shaman
Physical + Religious = ??
All three = ???

* The term Herbalist will probably have to be reworked in some way, as it carries far too much connotation (to me, at least) of herbal medicine to be used for people simply picking fruit. Perhaps Gatherer or Gleaner would be better used for dwarves just collecting food, leaving Herbalist / Herbologist to describe those who study & cultivate useful plants.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 03:41:16 am by SixOfSpades »
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 09:50:09 am »

An apothecary was essentially a pharmacist (maker and dispenser of medicines), though given the nearly unregulated nature of medicine back then apothecaries did branch out into some general medical practice.  The barber-surgeons and physicians were two distinct medical traditions that eventually merged into the modern MD after the DF cut-off; apothecaries evolved directly into modern pharmacists  (and are still known as apothecaries in some languages).

DF doesn't really do hybrid professions, a person who uses two or three skills regularly is simply known for the highest-level skill.

Edit: That last bit is just an error.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 03:05:31 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 12:58:40 pm »

DF doesn't really do hybrid professions, a person who uses two or three skills regularly is simply known for the highest-level skill.
Except for Farmer, Stoneworker, and Doctor . . . I forget if there are others.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 01:30:18 pm »

Except for Farmer, Stoneworker, and Doctor . . . I forget if there are others.
There's also woodworker, metalsmith (even though metalsmith is its own skill, a combination also results in metalsmith), jeweler, engineer, craftsdwarf, ranger, and fishery worker.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia