Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Are my defenses good enough?  (Read 2703 times)

Nisper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are my defenses good enough?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 12:31:59 pm »

Does your biome freeze in winter?
Yes it does.

Nisper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 12:39:20 pm »

Ok guys what if i put a sally port on each side and when a titan comes i trap him?i am bassicaly making him from threat to defense(just release him when a siege arrives)

fucduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 03:09:41 pm »

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:21:48 am by fucduck »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 03:51:51 pm »

dodge traps down to 25+z drops are good defense. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 03:56:25 pm »

Your defenses are never good enough. Dwarf fortress is dark and full of terrors.

That said, my favorite defense is a 1-tile wide retracting bridge with archers on either side. A tall pit means that people who dodge the archers fall and die. If your biome freezes, you could fill said pit with some water and have everything that falls into it die from being encased in ice eventually.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 04:00:39 pm »

Some people greatly enjoy creating architectural works of art. Other want to give their dwarves best lives possible. Still others just enjoy designing things that work well. Some can have fun without threats.

Others, however, want to see threats and want to be tested. You can ask questions like "how much can I cut the "budget" on my secure entrance until it is no longer secure" or "how dangerous are my dwarves, comparatively?" 

Or perhaps you like the to see the pretty teeth fly, enjoy blood-soaked ground aesthetically, think some flawed designs are still pretty (like a castle with water moat and raisable drawbridge).

I agree with the advice of deliberately doing things wrong on a learning principle, as long as one also does it right before or after. It's instructive how important something is, and doing something with intent along the lines "lets do this and see if/how many dead dwarves I get" is a lot different - I'd say freeing, even - feeling compared to "each and every dwarf is important, I must not let any of them die or I'll have failed as overseer".

With most dwarven civilizations and most problems, you can always throw more migrants at a problem.

(Still, that sewer is novel, given I've seen several succession fortresses abandon their upper levels because of half a dozen different sealable entrances, so twenty dozen unsealable entrances for 1vs1 sleeping dwarf vs titan/werebeast combat would certainly make one more keenly consider the rate of higher-quality threats.)

Anyway, some tags to consider: Flying, trapavoid, building destroyer, thief, merchant, visitor. A completely secure entrance should be able to not fall to any and all of the first 4 at the same time, while letting in the last two.

(Though trapavoid can almost be ignored unless you go to war with someone you used to trade with, I think - gremlins aren't much of a threat, for instance.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 04:05:06 pm by Fleeting Frames »

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 04:49:07 pm »

Here is something you should all consider about your forts defenses: INTERNAL defense, were attacks or zombies being raised from the dead. Make sure to outfit your hospital with air locks just in case someone turns after being wounded. Also, do as I do: carve arrow slits into the hospital walls so that anything inside can be sealed in then shot to death. That should make dwarves feel safe!

Marksdwarf: Hey! What is Urist45 doing! Looks like drool! *shunk* *thud* Oh oops... There were is in the next bed over.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 05:57:08 pm »

I often have patrolling city guards, sometimes involving a closed system of archer posts inside the city.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 02:28:53 am »

1: How thick is the moat?
2: How deep is the moat?
3: Did you make sure to remove the ramps?
4: How high is the wall?
5: What material did you make it out of?
6: What form of that material was it? (Boulders, logs, bricks, blocks)

Does material matter now? Are bricks better than logs?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 03:08:23 am »

my defenses consist of a 8 tiles wide and 2-4 z deep moat (i always plan on building it to not fill, but then the rivers look so tempting :P) with a wall of firesafe stone blocks, an underground "snakepath" for the caravans around the trapped straight path with a drawbridge as a gate.
and a novelty! inbetween the caravanpath and the trappath, there's a dog to scare off sneakers and on the sides opposing the dog, there's a chamber with cagetraps, so they see the dog, run directly away from it into that chamber and get trapped.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 08:02:41 am »

@Icy03406: Blocks are supposed to be harder to climb than unsmoothed native rock or stone walls, while smoothed walls are supposed to be (almost) impossible to climb. I'm not sure where bricks and logs fall on the scale, and I don't really care, since they're too climbable for my taste regardless. If you have a proper lip at the top (or a sealing roof) climbing ease is not an issue, though.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 10:20:50 am »

...with a wall of firesafe stone blocks...
All constructions are fire-safe.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 12:05:46 pm »

And magma-safe, for that matter. Once something is turned into a wall it becomes indestructible. You can make walls out of ice and soap if you want to.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 04:14:27 pm »

And magma-safe, for that matter. Once something is turned into a wall it becomes indestructible. You can make walls out of ice and soap if you want to.
didn't know that. but nice to know.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 06:15:06 pm »

Your defenses are never good enough. Dwarf fortress is dark and full of terrors.

With sufficiently well-designed obsidianizers and squirt guns (and perhaps some of the more extreme cart grinders or live-ammo-shotguns), good enough is no longer the issue, as there is nothing in the game other than ghosts that can get past them. The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3