Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF 23_130_23a: LNP, therapist, graphic packs, etc???  (Read 1182 times)

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF 23_130_23a: LNP, therapist, graphic packs, etc???
« on: July 26, 2016, 10:50:24 am »

I never experienced the "2D" version of DF as I started on it later than this version.  I was interested in going back and just seeing what it is like.

Q.  Were there 3rd party utilities for this version that would complement my experience?  If so, where would I find them? 

I was googling & browsing the forums but admittedly my goo-fu has always been absolutely terrible.  I mostly only use Dwarf Therapist and the occasional graphic pack but would be interested in knowing any available mods for that version.

Thank you!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: DF 23_130_23a: LNP, therapist, graphic packs, etc???
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 06:58:57 pm »

Lazy Newb Pack? Nope - that didn't start until version 0.31.xx or so.
Therapist? Nope - that started with 0.28.181.40d. There were some other tools for 23a, but they were quite limited, though one of them is none other than Dwarf Manipulator (which I later ported to DFHack).
Graphics packs? Yes - support for custom graphics sets (i.e. for individual creatures) was actually added in 0.22.120.23a (8 releases before 0.23.130.23a).

There were plenty of other 3rd-party utilities for 23a, but it can be tricky finding them - in most cases, you'll have the best luck searching DFFD rather than other places.

If you're going to try the 2D versions, though, I would highly recommend getting a patched version, as the last version Toady released had quite a lot of annoying bugs in it. I've written a number of binary patches for it, and while I haven't personally released any prepatched binaries yet, I believe one was made for the !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! succession game over in the Community forum.

A few of those patches also permit using a version of DFHack for 23a, complete with Lua and Ruby script support (though most of the scripts written for newer versions obviously won't work).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:25:47 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.