Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I wanna trade away some stuff at the depot... how useful are gold coins?  (Read 602 times)

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

'cause I struck a whole lot of them veins, and the DFHack description says they're "surprisingly useless in trade"?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 12:32:15 am by Zyro_Falcon »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Coins are basically junk currently, less useful than bars, because the economy is broken. Generally there is no lack of wealth to be traded away, but if you want to trade gold off you should make stuff out of it (probably just about anything, but I'd go for goblets and trade off all that aren't masterworks, to supply my dorfs with goblets worthy of the fortress). You could also go for gold furniture or trinkets.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TRADE gold? When there's all that otherwise useless bone to use? Bone crafts, man.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Maximizing_value

Use some with quality modifier please. Weapon trap (wood, glass, weapon metal), or legendary roast . i buy the caravana with meals of my chef, and make more with the food i bought.

Coins are good form make and smelt, they give 110% the original metal, and without quality dont give bad thoughts if you melt a masterwork. But is an exploit.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

It is also slow; if you can you're usually better off just mining more.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

Yeah you are better off making literally anything else aside from coins.

I usually make on batch a year or some such since they have history on them.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0