Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Black Dwarf ~ End of an Era (IC) : New Horizons  (Read 9339 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Black Dwarf ~ End of an Era (IC) : New Horizons
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2016, 11:05:22 pm »

Search for some sort of Network to that thing and Try to Reprogram it.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2016, 06:12:46 am »

Kensei follows Raiyoris and keeps watching for danger.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2016, 07:50:56 pm »

Eternal City, Planet II, ??? system, Laniakea Supercluster, (Day 2, Year 0 post-awakening)

Nix follows the arrows in the facility, applying the tassel to his sword.
"By the eyes of the ancients..."

Nix tries to find some sort of running current to charge his sword.

[d4: 3] Nix stabs the power conduit on the wall leading up to the ceiling, with his sword.

Surprisingly, the lights turn on, and machinery roars to life, awakened by the sudden power draw. It makes no sense in hindsight, but the immediate effects of stabbing the conduit sort of precluded any sort of thought on the matter.
Nix awoke on the floor, after being electrocuted rather badly, to find his sword emblazoned with glyphs in his own language. It reads, as a brief paraphrase: SWORD WHICH SMITES THE UNWORTHY WITH IMPUNITY.

A pair of treads grind against the floor as a being approaches from behind a pile of rubble and vines. It's an unarmed-looking robot with two arms and a triangular, snout-like head with three cameras.

climb the ladder

You climb up to where Raioyris and Kensei are, [d8: 4] noticing a distorted blur pass by the edge of your vision. It leaps back into the pit you just came out of.

Kensei follows Raiyoris and keeps watching for danger.

You notice Weta climbing up out of the subway, but his (insectoid) eyes are tracking something, something moving. You see it: a distortion pattern characteristic of a light-bending cloak field. Your software analyzes it and paints an outline over your vision... it looks like a human with a large scythe and robes, though the robes aren't flaring much from the movement due to the lack of an atmosphere. It hops back into the subway shaft.

"The gravity wave was probably the portal that the skeleton opened up. Nothing we didn't already know. The snow is a bit disconcerting though"

Investigate a nearby untouched building.

What makes a building untouched? A very important philisophical question, mind you. These are large buildings. You've certainly shot slugs into one of them. The others are standing on top of the one to the south, but they haven't gone inside. You end up deciding to enter the southern one.

Inside you find boxes. Tons of 'em. They all contain computers. Some are massive 56 kilobyte bricks the size of a melon, while others are streamlined orbs of nanocircuits on an atomic scale. One could surely wonder why a civilization would store millions of these, but they probably won't power on after so long under ice.

Search for some sort of Network to that thing and Try to Reprogram it.

You step to the side and grab a vine, [d12+1: 11] entering the subnetwork and attempting to reprogram the zombie. As you discover, the zombie's files are in use and the filesystem locks you out of editing it. Figures. However, you trace the source of the file lock to the same network address as the lock on the nanite snow... perhaps the zombie is made of the same material, simply rearranged so as to represent living tissue.

To test this theory, you try to DDOS the zombie with all of your body's power. [Int - d12+1: 4] You don't bypass the lock, but you do overload it with commands. The zombie first halts, then collapses into a pile of snow.

Look for a way to power the subway. "Looks like we'll need either of our resident scary android AIs. I imagine a subway is a large step towards finding our goal; we'll need the mobility."

Cordelia pecks nonchalantly at the ground.

"Cordelia. This is a God damned tundra with literal skeleton people, don't expect to find any french fries."

Cordelia continues, blissfully ignoring Raioyris.

"I can tell when you're just doing something to spite me you know."

[Int - d10: 6] An AI would be useful, perhaps, but humans can be electrical engineers too. First thing's first, you look for any sort of transformer, power lines, or other such machinery. Your exhaustive search turns up nothing, until you notice in the corner of your vision a spark coming from two closely-spaced pieces of vine. Odd. You investigate closer and find that these two vines in particular have a very high voltage across the ends, as they'll vaporize snowflakes and anything else you throw on them. What strange biology.

Red: Monorails
Blue: Subways

Player Statuses:

Spoiler: Nix, AKA NRDL (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Weta, AKA vishdafish (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kensei, AKA Hawk132 (click to show/hide)
Slight trouble in snow

Slight trouble in snow
Cordelia is unable to fly (atmosphere is currently too thin)

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2016, 08:13:00 pm »

Now either these are a severed part of an existing circuit-thing or they aren't and I can just find a place to use them as a voltage source.

Raioyris investigates each of his ideas.

Cordelia trots around looking up and down walls.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2016, 08:38:07 pm »

Hmm... a Zombie slave could be useful... I Guess I'll try hacking another one.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2016, 09:05:16 pm »

Peer into the pit and call out "is anyone there."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2016, 02:20:33 am »

"Greetings...robot.  Can you understand me?", said Nix, feeling rather self-conscious.  But he'd prefer not to assume that something was hostile before it started attacking.  Ancients know he had enough enemies around here already. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2016, 08:34:53 am »

"This one has spotted a cloaked being. It appears to be a western death god. It is heading the way this one and Raiyoris came from. It may be possible that there are more of them."

Kensei keeps watching for danger.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2016, 01:18:52 pm »

Raioyris also starts scanning with his greater range of senses. "Death? God knows we're all overdue to see him."

Cordelia starts looking around worriedly.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:08:05 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 08, 2016, 07:36:07 pm »

"Odd that they would keep such a vast range of quality. I wonder if they hold any information?"

Try to find any operational memory storage in any of the computers. IF not, head in deeper into the box building.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]