Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Black Dwarf ~ End of an Era (IC) : New Horizons  (Read 9165 times)

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Dwarf ~ End of an Era (IC) : Plank Time 0.798261390593313*10^64
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 06:35:26 am »

"This one longs for battle. Let us haste."

Kensei boards the ship.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 06:42:01 am »

Nix immediately bounds up, and boards the ship.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 02:16:20 pm »

I might as well follow the crowd.
Urist Enters the ship.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Black Dwarf ~ End of an Era (IC) : Into the Lungs of Hell
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 03:08:15 pm »

Omega 0521 orbit, Laniakea Supercluster, (Day 1, Year 0 post-awakening)

"That is a majority, yes? Then I will lead you there... by the way, you can call me 'Attendant,' I believe that is the word..."

The vessel's looks betray its sturdiness and indeed, its spaciousness. It's almost as if the inside is larger than it is on the outside (but is it really?). Since it will be your tool for getting across the galaxy, it perhaps deserves a name. But whether a proper ceremony is held or not, it seems the launch will continue according to strict procedure.

'Attendant' scrapes over to a jack in the floor, and inserts one of his many metallic limbs into the hole. Your ship stirs to life as you hear the sound of gushing air, whirring fans, and noises that could only be described as 'absolutely, positively alien'.
Next, cables on the floor become taught, and reveal their points of origin to be somewhere in the levels above. They all tighten and raise your ship a couple of inches above the ground, and then continue pulling you upward... and upward... and upward. The floors keep on coming. Kilometers passed, easily, before you were finally greeted with the black void of space. And a black void it truly is.

The stars are gone.

Even the planet below, which you are assured exists, is pitch black. The only light perceptible to human vision comes from the space station itself, a few pinpoints of illumination in an otherwise invisible world. Even in the various wavelengths, the planet and any objects in orbit hover only a few degrees Kelvin above the cosmic background radiation. And as a matter of fact, it seems the spaceship itself is also quite chilly, at least until the engines start and gravity orients itself toward the back of the ship. You are now in a vertical bus-sized space with couches hanging off the walls, and retractable nets to keep you from falling. Upward, in the direction that is 'forward' you see the jumpgate: an eerie ring of lanterns dancing in a loop, staring down on you like some eye of providence.

Omega 0521 jumpgate, ??? system , Laniakea Supercluster, (Day 1, Year 0 post-awakening)

Passing through it felt like a bumpy plane ride. Shutters rolled over the windows and the interior got hot all of a sudden. And then it was over, as soon as it began. Interstellar flight never felt so easy.

A terminal lights up on every couch.
Spoiler: what the terminal says (click to show/hide)

Player Statuses:

Spoiler: Nix, AKA NRDL (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Weta, AKA vishdafish (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kensei, AKA Hawk132 (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:10:18 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Black Dwarf ~ End of an Era (IC) : Into the Black Lungs of Hell
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 05:00:58 pm »

"The second planet.  Reminds one of home.  Does home still exist?  Or has the Prime Red turned to dust and darkness as well...", Nix says to himself, out loud. 

Turning to the others, he flashes the closest thing his species can to a smile.  "Shall we start with the second?"
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 05:03:15 pm »

"I do not mind, if you wish to go to the second, I shall go with you."

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 05:13:39 pm »

"A city sounds like a refreshing sight. Deal"

"Or perhaps we should split up."

Raioyris crattles Cordelia who has been a tad alarmed since launch.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 05:25:16 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 08:48:53 pm »

"The 2nd planet sounds acceptable to me. I've seen my fair share of those."
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Dwarf ~ End of an Era (IC) : A Light in the Black
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 10:24:30 pm »

Planet II, ??? system, Laniakea Supercluster, (Day 2, Year 0 post-awakening)

A tingling sensation occurs as objects gently gravitate toward both ends of the ship. Centripetal force. Then, once the journey begins, gravity once again resumes.

After many hours, a single pinpoint of light appears on the rear-view holoscreen (alternately referred to as the floor). It appears to be 'Planet II,' as it may be called by someone without creativity. But the planet's surface is lit, which means some light is reflecting off of something. But what?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:40:31 am by _DivideByZero_ »

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Dwarf ~ End of an Era (IC) : A Light in the Black
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 10:53:49 pm »

"Bright? That can't be right, there's nothing here but our ship... I guess our vessel is that bright. Wait, if our ship's bright enough, then couldn't we use it a torch of short, to search the planet?"
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Dwarf ~ End of an Era (IC) : Wastelands
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 01:07:03 am »

Planet II orbit, ??? system, Laniakea Supercluster, (Day 2, Year 0 post-awakening)

The console switches.
Indeed, we were going to suggest using the torch drive as an artificial sun to help you see the landscape. You will find life-support fields in the form of utility belts inside the airlock, and they will protect you from the near-vacuum and cold. The light will be available for about thirty minutes every 1.5 hours, from our current orbit.

This crew cabin will now separate from the interplanetary engine. Its own thrusters will bring you down to the surface.

Eternal City, Planet II, ??? system, Laniakea Supercluster, (Day 2, Year 0 post-awakening)

Nitrogen ice boils underneath your feet. Human legs don't seem to do too well here, and 10 foot tall robotic machines are unwise. Now is a good time to be an ant with six legs.

Normally, a planet becomes semi-molten and may even decelerate into its host star when the sun goes Red Giant. However, the star in this case never became a giant due to its small size. Instead, it eeked out a pathetic sort of existence as a blue dwarf for a bit, then went out with a whimper. The planet's oceans boiled, but its atmosphere and surface features remained. As the temperature dropped, the nitrogen in the atmosphere snowed down as ice, forming a planet-wide layer almost a hundred meters thick.

Meanwhile, a heavenly light shines from above, forming a thin haze along the horizon as the ice sublimates and the atmosphere rebirths. Your ship, however tiny, is able to affect the weather patterns of an entire planet.
The skyline of the eternal city casts a miles-long shadow along the plains. It will be a long walk into the city, but you have as long as you want to finalize your approach. That light is bound to awaken something though, if anything's still alive.

Player Statuses:

Spoiler: Nix, AKA NRDL (click to show/hide)
Slight trouble in snow

No trouble in snow

Slight trouble in snow
Cordelia is unable to fly (atmosphere is currently too thin)

Spoiler: Weta, AKA vishdafish (click to show/hide)
No trouble in snow

Spoiler: Kensei, AKA Hawk132 (click to show/hide)

Trouble in snow (chance of complications during combat)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:08:54 am by _DivideByZero_ »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 01:22:25 am »

Nix was thankful in his heart for the life support systems the console gave him, it was far advanced compared to anything he had seen in any of Commune Colonies' heydays.  His body should have been beginning to slumber, but he hardly felt anything.  Glancing to ensure he was going in the right direction, and that he still had his sword fastened to his belt, he purposefully strode towards the frozen city.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 05:28:28 am »

Go towards the eternal city.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 07:26:25 am »

Follow the rest to the city.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 12:01:31 pm »

"Ghost city. Interesting." Raioyris says between sinking steps in the snow. Cordelia clings to the top of his backpack.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8