Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Black Dwarf ~ End of an Era (IC) : New Horizons  (Read 9200 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Black Dwarf ~ End of an Era (IC) : Wastelands
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 12:48:05 pm »

I Stumble off to the city.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Black Dwarf ~ End of an Era (IC) : The Heart of a Graveyard
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 02:19:11 pm »

Eternal City Rim, Planet II, ??? system, Laniakea Supercluster, (Day 2, Year 0 post-awakening)

A long trek across an open plain with no cover. A risky proposition, had there been prepared defenses such as machine guns, lasers, railguns, missiles, sorcerers, or any other weapons of the far future. Indeed, it would have been quite the disaster ...

The satellite passes overhead several times, etching crevices and shadows into the architecture: tall, angular buildings like metallic ribs embedded in the snow. It looks like the sinister graveyard of a cybernetic leviathan larger than any spacecraft.

You make it to the city rim, where you find long, empty lanes overshadowed by skybridges and overhangs. The black structures seemed to be made of windows not unlike human skyscrapers, but the glass has since melted out of its frames leaving every building an open lattice of webwork. Frozen, blackened organic matter like vines covers every surface.

The city's design had favored both upward and outward growth. You can see the largest building in the city standing in the middle intersections of lanes. Its crown looms over the city and casts a shadow like a sundial each time the light passes.

Player Statuses:

Spoiler: Nix, AKA NRDL (click to show/hide)
Slight trouble in snow

No trouble in snow

Slight trouble in snow
Cordelia is unable to fly (atmosphere is currently too thin)

Spoiler: Weta, AKA vishdafish (click to show/hide)
No trouble in snow

Spoiler: Kensei, AKA Hawk132 (click to show/hide)

Trouble in snow (chance of complications during combat)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:22:09 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 04:31:30 pm »

explore the largest building.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 05:12:19 pm »

Follow to the largest building, it is likely of greatest interest.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 05:23:22 pm »

It's been how long since I've had a good fight. "Keep your eyes open Cordelia." Raioyris whispers as he skulks around town looking for signs of life.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 07:21:38 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2016, 06:04:16 pm »

Generally just Explore.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2016, 07:11:48 pm »

"This place seems ripe for an ambush. Blindly going into buildings seems unwise."

Explore the streets of the city. Be on the watch for any potential dangers.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Dwarf ~ End of an Era (IC) : Dust to Dust
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 11:33:21 pm »

Eternal City, Planet II, ??? system, Laniakea Supercluster, (Day 2, Year 0 post-awakening)

Follow to the largest building, it is likely of greatest interest.
explore the largest building.
Quote from: Hawk132

Half the party proceeds toward to the building in the distance. But it is not long until you see pockmarks in the snow form at your feet. A cool wind blows... a muffled sound that would be much louder in normal atmosphere, but is nonetheless recognizeable. Gunfire!

[d10+1:-, d8:-, d8:-] Nix manages to spot the enemy as they move out of their positions to ambush. A group from the front, coming around the base of the structure to your west. An ambush team came around the base of the eastern structure, and a machine gun team on a bridge several stories up, a few hundred meters away. The combatants look like... skeletons with automatic rifles.

The street is currently lit by the orbiter. You could contact Maimondes and have him turn the engines off and receive the cover of night.
Quote from: HEN
Explore the streets of the city. Be on the watch for any potential dangers.
It's been how long since I've had a good fight. "Keep your eyes open Cordelia." Raioyris whispers as he skulks around town looking for signs of life.
Generally just Explore.

The other half moves to explore the surroundings. You are able to identify several arcologies which extend into the skies and are connected by monorails and trams which run on multi-lane bridges across the city. Each arcology has a base that's several stories tall and curved upwards to support the massive structure above. Each arcology itself, though, is at least a kilometer. This city has a massive vertical sprawl.

The organic material appears to be dried out vines. This city may have been an urban jungle long before it reached this state.

Outside of the arcologies are dome-like regular buildings also coated in melted glass and covered with vines (the vines seem to have grown after the glass melted). There's some machinery that was never looted, but most of it has rusted into oblivion. There's no chance of any old mechanical parts working again, since metal parts weld together in a vacuum.

Raioyris and URIST_BOT sense the faint report of gunfire. Since the atmosphere is thin, it must actually be closer than it sounds. It's not that far off. It appears an ambush party has moved in to attack the other three from behind. They are... skeletons with AK-47's...

Red: Monorails
Blue: Subways

Player Statuses:

Slight trouble in snow

No trouble in snow

Slight trouble in snow

No trouble in snow

Slight trouble in snow

Trouble in snow (chance of complications during combat)
Well-prepared (+1 to intelligence, expires in combat)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:30:54 am by _DivideByZero_ »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2016, 01:16:00 am »

"To battle then!"

Sword drawn, charge at the skeletons on the ground floor to the west, thrusting his sword into the spine of the nearest one.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:17:24 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2016, 02:15:10 am »

"Cordelia!" Cordelia leaps off Raioyris' back into the snow below. Bringing his M4A1 up to bear, Raioyris breaks into a squat and opens fire on the flanking skeleton's accords the road. The hot brass hisses as it contacts the powdery snow.

Raioyris advances while firing! He intends to cross the road and check out what's on the far side of the thin building right of the road. If he finishes of this group he continues in a sprint.

Cordelia wanders away from the fight. But not too far. "Flank support! We don't know if there's more on our flanks." Who am I talking to? Most of our guys are blood and honor types.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 02:18:15 am by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2016, 03:13:11 am »

"Look's like we're going to have to deal wit- HEY!"

Scourge freezes as sounds of a scuffle play from his speakers. Cursing fills the air in both English and German. Eventually the English stops and the German voice takes the mic.

"FLANK SECURITY! They're trying to envelop us!"
Wait what does that even-
"Silence! Someone more adept at closing gaps is needed here! You run along to your fancy stone cabin while I handle this fight."
Why you little... fine. No time for petty squabbles right now.
[Leader swap: Erwin Rommel]

After the last-minute infighting among the officer corps, Scourge rushes to secure his team's flank. He takes aim with his Pak 40 and delivers an in-direct blast ay the group of skeletons behind Kensei. Two are hit directly, throwing bone shards and pieces of the AK-47's into the air. The rest of the group...
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2016, 04:10:58 am »

Kensei gazes at the skeletons as he unsheathes his sword, which begins to glow as extreme vibration heats it up. He seems quite excited. Well, as excited as a robot can be.

"This one shall claim your skulls!"

Kensei engages his thrusters and dashes towards the north-western group. He weaves through any gunfire coming his way and deflects any bullets he can't dodge. Once he's in melee, he slices and dices the undead.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2016, 05:37:16 am »

"Die, evil creatures."
Fire 4 bullets at the two skeletons nearest to me in NW direction.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2016, 12:26:04 pm »

I walk off towards the nearest Monorail.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2016, 02:56:07 pm »

Eternal City, Planet II, ??? system, Laniakea Supercluster, (Day 2, Year 0 post-awakening)

"To battle then!"

Sword drawn, charge at the skeletons on the ground floor to the west, thrusting his sword into the spine of the nearest one.
Kensei gazes at the skeletons as he unsheathes his sword, which begins to glow as extreme vibration heats it up. He seems quite excited. Well, as excited as a robot can be.

"This one shall claim your skulls!"

Kensei engages his thrusters and dashes towards the north-western group. He weaves through any gunfire coming his way and deflects any bullets he can't dodge. Once he's in melee, he slices and dices the undead.
"Die, evil creatures."
Fire 4 bullets at the two skeletons nearest to me in NW direction.

[d10+2: 5] Nix runs across the field, taking no heed to suppressive fire! (d8: 2) Conveniently, the machine gun seems to have stopped firing, leaving only the skeletons with their weak shoulders and shoddy marksmanship to take potshots during his approach.

As he plunges his weapon through the spine of his hapless target, however, he is overshadowed by a burst of nitrogen mist (ice particles thrown by the force) as the machine warrior rockets past and starts stealing kills. [d10+2: 8] Scores of enemies fall, their wet bones crystallizing immediately upon death. Five skulls rest on the snow at various angles, flanked by Kalashnikovs and carnage. Weta finds himself wholly unnecessary for a moment. But only for a moment.

Our sword-users find that charging into the enemy lines has exposed them to the bulk of the enemy force: a column of advancing skeletons maching along the slow, leaving only shallow footprints with their minimal body mass.

"Cordelia!" Cordelia leaps off Raioyris' back into the snow below. Bringing his M4A1 up to bear, Raioyris breaks into a squat and opens fire on the flanking skeleton's accords the road. The hot brass hisses as it contacts the powdery snow.

Raioyris advances while firing! He intends to cross the road and check out what's on the far side of the thin building right of the road. If he finishes of this group he continues in a sprint.

Cordelia wanders away from the fight. But not too far. "Flank support! We don't know if there's more on our flanks." Who am I talking to? Most of our guys are blood and honor types.
"Look's like we're going to have to deal wit- HEY!"

Scourge freezes as sounds of a scuffle play from his speakers. Cursing fills the air in both English and German. Eventually the English stops and the German voice takes the mic.

"FLANK SECURITY! They're trying to envelop us!"
Wait what does that even-
"Silence! Someone more adept at closing gaps is needed here! You run along to your fancy stone cabin while I handle this fight."
Why you little... fine. No time for petty squabbles right now.
[Leader swap: Erwin Rommel]

After the last-minute infighting among the officer corps, Scourge rushes to secure his team's flank. He takes aim with his Pak 40 and delivers an in-direct blast ay the group of skeletons behind Kensei. Two are hit directly, throwing bone shards and pieces of the AK-47's into the air. The rest of the group...

[d12: 12!] Raioyris annihilates the entire squad of skeletons using controlled three-round bursts. Skulls shatter, ribs fly off due to the impact, [d12: 4] and general panic extinguishes any chance of return fire. [d8+1: 3] Scourge's indirect fire flies directly through two of them (they seem to disappear altogether) and sails into the arcology beyond. It looks like the Tactician misjudged there to be a wall there...
Meanwhile, at the source of the artillery shell, Scourge finds himself buried in snow from the recoil.

As the Pak 40 reloads for another shot, Raioyris finds more and more skeletons pouring through. As he switches to single-shot to conserve ammo (it seems all it takes is one headshot to bring one down) he notices something in the way of small-scale tactics: a mound of bones and cartilage is forming, and as backup arrives they take cover behind it. You pick out skeletons with shovels moving in to help reshape the mound into something more resembling a barricade.

As Raioyris covers himself to the far side of the street, several paratroopers jump off the arcology from above. They slam headfirst into the snow.
But then they get up! They are armed with M1 Carbines, and reinforced M1 helmets.

I walk off towards the nearest Monorail.

URIST_BOT walks under the monorail and stands beneath its shadow. (d8:2) Curiously, it seems not one but two enemies failed to notice him by now, whether by tunnel vision or whatnot. Either way, he notices two long barrels hanging over the edge of the monorail. Snipers.

Red: Monorails
Blue: Subways

Player Statuses:

Slight trouble in snow

No trouble in snow

Slight trouble in snow

No trouble in snow

Slight trouble in snow

Buried in snow (-2 to Agi)
Well-prepared (+1 to intelligence, expires in combat)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 03:37:38 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8