Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help My Family Play DnD  (Read 2555 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Help My Family Play DnD
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 05:32:25 am »

Pathfinder's pretty solid AFAIK. If you just want to keep to "official" D&D the 3.5 SRD is probably sufficient for a beginning group. 5e would be better, but it's also got waaaay less content to delve into later.

The one RL group I've played with uses little tokens instead of miniatures, and a simple white-erase board with a grid on it.
Oh that's actually a really good idea
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 05:54:19 am »

On the other end of the scale, our group uses modular sets of Tact-Tiles for a battle map and a mixture of plastic miniatures for player characters and Pathfinder Pawns for the monsters. Then again, we're a pretty hardcore group of tabletop nerds.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 05:59:12 am »

The one RL group I've played with uses little tokens instead of miniatures, and a simple white-erase board with a grid on it.

I call dibs on top hat!
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 06:04:14 am »

The D20 SRD is available on the Wizards of the Coast website, but it lacks any level advancement rules. You could buy a copy of Unearthed Arcana if you have $40.00 at least, or you could look up dandwiki.com

If he has $40 to spend he could get copies of the DMG and Player's handbook for an older edition of D&D. I still really like AD&D 2nd Ed., though people here probably think it's way too out of date.

PDFs etc are ok, but nothing beats being able to give someone an actual sourcebook to look through.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:08:39 am by Reelya »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 06:09:45 am »

On the other end of the scale, our group uses modular sets of Tact-Tiles for a battle map and a mixture of plastic miniatures for player characters and Pathfinder Pawns for the monsters. Then again, we're a pretty hardcore group of tabletop nerds.

Wow, Tact-Tiles are really expensive...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 06:31:11 am »

They're also worth it. Damn good quality, clean up well and make prep work as a DM a breeze. I don't mind spending money on my hobbies, especially something that I get good mileage out of such as those.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 06:36:10 am »

Ah, wow, that is cool. I always just used a... Er, well, sorta the same thing, a dry erase thing, but just one sheet. Puzzle piece putting together sounds sweet.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 08:16:12 am »

I'd buy them but I don't have real life D&D games...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 08:57:52 pm »

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll try the free Pathfinder, but if it's too hard for people to understand, I'll ask around some more or pay the few dozen dollars.

Edit: Just found a jackpot. This has everything I need. I guess I'll be going with 5e, then. Know any good online tabletops? (By which I mean a website that handles the grids and dice for me. Are those a thing?)

Edit: I am a newbie who can't tell what pirate means.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:51:13 am by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 11:27:11 am »

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll try the free Pathfinder, but if it's too hard for people to understand, I'll ask around some more or pay the few dozen dollars.

Edit: Just found a jackpot. This has everything I need. I guess I'll be going with 5e, then. Know any good online tabletops? (By which I mean a website that handles the grids and dice for me. Are those a thing?)
Filthy 5e scum :P

You could use Roll20, I suppose. It's built more for playing over the internet, but it could definitely work as an in-person tabletop.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 [2]