Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your Trading Card Game? (You can choose more than one)

Magic: The Gathering
- 9 (42.9%)
Pokemon
- 2 (9.5%)
Yu-Gi-Oh
- 4 (19%)
Other
- 3 (14.3%)
I don't play card games, nerds!
- 3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Trading Card Games Discussion; Believe in the heart of the cards edition.  (Read 1411 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile

Welcome to the trading cards game discussion!

The reason I don't think it goes in other games is because it's a discussion about the games themselves, playing the games, whatever strikes your fancy. And also, the tabletop games thread is here too.

Personally, I play Magic the Gathering; mostly EDH/Commander and Tiny Leaders. I'm the kinda guy who has more fun building and Tiny Leaders is fun for me because it adds an extra layer to think about, the CMC *converted mana costs, of any cards in the deck have to be 3 or less, including your commander.

I'm also into just collecting cards I find interesting or fun. As maybe an added influence, maybe as a fan of Warhammer 40k, I have a natural calling for human creature types, so the 2 decks I'm running now are mostly White (not racism) Humans with support from maybe neutral Artifact creatures or other types of white creatures, like angels or spirits. Maybe its just the awesomeness of buffed humans facing off against demons and eldrazi and sometimes winning outright.

My white commander deck was borne out of the mono-white commander 2014 set and the red/white commander 2014 set. This one is actually a combo of all white creatures with a little red, mostly human, but includes Kor, Cats, Human, Angels, Giants and Spirits. Kinda the whole "the united races of good stand against the great evil" thing. Also includes Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and Nahiri, the Lithomancer, 2 heroes to help spawn weenies and basically act as micro tanks cuz an opponents not just going to let you spawn free tokens every turn. The commander for this deck is Gisela, Blade of the Goldnight cuz sources dealing double damage to opponents is awesome and opponents sources doing half damage to you is also awesome.

The tiny leaders I have is custom built with some leftovers and is majorly human focused. Human soldiers mainly with human cleric support and various ways to add counters and spawn tokens. The commander for this one is Mikaeus, the Lunarch cuz putting 1/1 counters on everyone every other turn is cool, even cooler with Kytheon/Gideon, Battle-Forged there to untap him once a turn. Lots of soldiers that buff other soldiers or other humans in here. Think a smaller military detachment to the above deck and you're on the right track.

So yeah, that's basically my poison, come talk about your favorite card game and/or entertaining anecdotes about games you've played or general memes about the card games themselves.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did you mean Nertz?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile

I was not sure if that was a joke or not, but I ment it as a sarcastic, insulting way of saying they don't play any tcgs.

*Edit, ah got your PM Bork. I knew the game Nertz as Pounce, but it was a long time ago since I've played.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:47:38 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't played the game in something like a decade, but Yugioh for life. Just none of that synchro-ADF summoning nonsense, I'm talking OG pre-GX Yugioh.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I play Mizzix Commander because it's absolutely hilarious (do nothing all game then steal every creature and deal 20 damage to two opponents), and I have a bunch of casual decks I play with my friends. The best deck among them is G/W +1/+1 counters. The gameplan is to put a lot of +1/+1 counters on my dudes helped by Hardened scales, give them flying/lifelink/first strike/trample with dudes like Abzan Falconer, and attack for the win.

You may have figured out that my playgroup is really casual, but I also like reading about more competitive formats.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:32:56 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I never really got into trading card games. I do still have my Magic deck from my highschool days though. Might be worth something someday, it's over 20 years old now.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used to play Magic: The Gathering but I quit because the assholes I used to play with would always try to steal my best cards when I wasn't looking. I still have boxes and boxes of cards from 20 years ago somewhere.

Nowadays I just play a lot of digital CCGs like Hearthstone and more recently Elder Scrolls Legends. I miss having physical cards but I live in the middle of nowhere so unless I teach bears how to play with me I wouldn't be able to find a partner.