Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Mod][DF v0.43.03] Custom race & civ - Mousekin  (Read 2058 times)

Ralkesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Mod][DF v0.43.03] Custom race & civ - Mousekin
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:23:49 pm »

Been ages since I've been on the forums after lurking for a long time... figured I'd take a crack at DF modding, by adding in a custom race and civ entity for them... spent roughly 3-4 days on both raw files and could do with help; granted I barely know any code (mostly copy/paste bits from other creatures/entity). But here's what I've done so far.

My aim is to add in a civilization of peaceful, yet isolationist mousepeople (smaller than dwarf but stronger than a kobold) that worship a single deity of creation (as in whoever created them), follow a basic caste hierarchy based on professions and if possible to have family groups as in [Name] [Surname] [Clan name], [Profession - Caste]? Closest example would be Skaven from Warhammer, with softer features and less self-centered murdering. Doesn't mean that an unscrupulous dictator benevolent overseer can't use them to harvest blood for Armok Wine for the Maker.

Ethics and Values:
Greatly revere law, family, truth, knowledge hard work, co-operation, commerce, harmony and respect crafts, skills, martial skill etc.
Follow human ethics, but find torture to be abhorrent and collect trophies of sentients/animals to be a personal matter.

Caste system as defined by skill and profession and pretty much condenses fortress professions into smaller groups
  • Administrators/Nobles - Self-Explanatory
  • Crafters - Smiths, Tailors, Crafts, Bowyers etc.
  • Militia - Soldiers.
  • Hearthmice - Agriculture/Cooking
  • Laborers - Hauling, Cleaning, basic jobs.
  • Caste-less - anyone who doesn't have the requisite skill level to move into a caste.
  • Children/Infants - self-explanatory, might add petitioners to this caste :p.

Creature Raw file. I've been trying to split hair into two groups one for the head (hair) the other covering the body/limbs (fur), both separate colours and along with a fairly largeish littersize well... you'll end up with a mousesplosion which is offset by most hazards like danger rooms, GCS, goblins etc

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the associated entity raw.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Have no idea how to lock them to a [Good] surrounds for their spawn biome but at least I've gotten them to spawn into the world :3 shame they don't appear as civilized in Legends viewer, but fall under the 'other' creature section. Will get around to writing their language file most likely Slavic translations, as for adding in intermittent *squeaks* into dialogue..

Copied the dwarven and human entity raws and spliced them together, I'll add their own variation of nobles. Also would increasing the militia cap be a good idea? as in swarm opponents?

Probably repeated myself here... but the problems I am running into are
  • Spiting hair into two subgroups, head and body. eg "His hair is chestnut and unkempt. His fur is soft and white."
  • Castes defined by profession group
  • Single deity religion other than Force
  • Forcing civilization spawn to any good surrounding biome
  • adding *squeak* into dialogue

Quick update after testing in fortress mode.... Managed to get them to construct workshops and harvest plants, however even with '1' priority designations they can't mine or chop trees nor will they pick the axes or picks up.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:14:57 am by Ralkesh »
A small mouse-like humanoid with a long tail, short silky fur and a twitching nose.  He has a preference for cheese and requires coffee to get through the working day.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: [Mod][DF v0.43.03] Custom race & civ - Mousekin
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 01:05:06 pm »

Splitting hair and fur are pretty simple, just specify which part of the body the layer is associated with.  Check out dogs, they have a separate color descriptor for their fur on each body part.

I don't think you understand what castes are, they are not like the human "caste system", they are like how ants have workers, soldiers, and queens, or how most animals are male or female.  Castes are assigned at birth and you can't really change them without complicated body transformation, nor can you restrict professions to castes (you can give castes different natural skill learning rates, but this is generally more trouble than it's worth.)

The other things you are asking can't be done.

Ralkesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 06:17:32 pm »

Readjusted the creature raw file so that fur and hair are separated, dropped the caste by profession idea (easier to create a custom profession title in Dwarf Therapist) and any way to solve the inability to pick up and use tools/weapons for mining/woodcutting and militia in Fort Mode?
A small mouse-like humanoid with a long tail, short silky fur and a twitching nose.  He has a preference for cheese and requires coffee to get through the working day.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 06:49:19 pm »

Readjusted the creature raw file so that fur and hair are separated, dropped the caste by profession idea (easier to create a custom profession title in Dwarf Therapist) and any way to solve the inability to pick up and use tools/weapons for mining/woodcutting and militia in Fort Mode?

Did you add the [EQUIPS] tag? And do the mice have GRASP body parts?
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 07:44:57 pm »

Picks and battleaxes both have [MINIMUM_SIZE:42500]. Your micekin are too small to use them. You should probably give them some custom, smaller weapons.

Ralkesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 08:46:55 pm »

Fixed a few more things and added in two custom weapons. Both work in the testing arena; where as fort mode I'd need to find the workshop/reaction file and add them in?

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_MOUSE]
[NAME:mousekin hatchet:micekin hatchets]
[SIZE:700]
[SKILL:AXE]
[TWO_HANDED:40000]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:38000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[ATTACK:EDGE:40000:6000:hack:hacks:NO_SUB:1250]
   [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:40000:6000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK_MOUSE]
[NAME:mousekin pick:micekin picks]
[SIZE:500]
[SKILL:MINING]
[TWO_HANDED:40000]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:38000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[ATTACK:EDGE:100:4000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000]

Changed the entity raw around so they'll embark/restricted to their own pick and hatchet
   [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK_MOUSE]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_MOUSE]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:27:59 pm by Ralkesh »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 01:31:15 pm »

A mish mash of racial personalities might help you a little bit. Here is a list of all the personalities hardcoded

Code: ( personalities contained inside, changing the values changes the behaviour, personalities affect play and needs) [Select]
Dwarves
[PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:0:55:100]
[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:45:100]
[PERSONALITY:BASHFUL:0:45:100]
[PERSONALITY:SINGLEMINDED:0:55:100]
[PERSONALITY:GREED:0:55:100]

Elves
[PERSONALITY:ABSTRACT_INCLINED:0:55:100]
[PERSONALITY:ART_INCLINED:0:60:100]
[PERSONALITY:CURIOUS:0:55:100]
[PERSONALITY:PERSEVERANCE:0:45:100]
[PERSONALITY:VENGEFUL:0:60:100]
[PERSONALITY:ACTIVITY_LEVEL:0:40:100]
[PERSONALITY:PRIDE:0:55:100]
[PERSONALITY:VANITY:0:55:100]

Goblins
[PERSONALITY:ANGER_PROPENSITY:25:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:HATE_PROPENSITY:25:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:VIOLENT:25:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:EXCITEMENT_SEEKING:0:60:100]
[PERSONALITY:CHEER_PROPENSITY:0:40:90]
[PERSONALITY:ALTRUISM:0:25:50]
[PERSONALITY:IMMODESTY:10:60:100]
[PERSONALITY:CRUELTY:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:SWAYED_BY_EMOTIONS:0:25:50]
[PERSONALITY:TOLERANT:50:75:100]

Kobolds
[PERSONALITY:ANXIETY_PROPENSITY:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:TRUST:0:25:50]
[PERSONALITY:ACTIVITY_LEVEL:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:GREED:50:75:100]

Gremlins
[PERSONALITY:EXCITEMENT_SEEKING:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:CURIOUS:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:HUMOR:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:CRUELTY:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:DISCORD:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:ORDERLINESS:0:25:50]
[PERSONALITY:DUTIFULNESS:0:25:50]

Minotaurs
[PERSONALITY:BRAVERY:75:90:100]

If i were you, due to their size i would probably include a threshold of bravery (to compliment charges and invoke suprise over the ferocity of these mice-people in battle, meaning you can make them smaller and weaker than a kobold to good effect), a good amount of isolationist intolerance of others, very low base amounts of cruelty, high orderlyness, curiousity, excitement, altruism  and just a streak of michevious as a wild-card defining factor (besides them fawning over paladin justice/administration via orderlyness)

As a end result you end up with extremely inquisitive creatures with a inherent mischievous streak (whether it affects them no doing as you ask or meddling with levers at random like gremlins remains to be seen presumably as long as its within the law) but are also resolute in trying to not give into those urges via a orderly society. They are kind to their own but look suspiciously if not a little anxiously at others.

Its all up to you though. You add these personality traits (and the values attached going from 0-middle value-100 as a range) onto the creature raw itself.

Due to the combination of personality facets, goblins commonly explode in anger and demand cages/chains to satiate themselves (presumably that's cruelty in action as a direct NEED for cages in order to keep a level head, likewise elves like pretty vain material things and nature, leading up to 'see the great natural sites' goals etc.), personality might lend itself to some interesting life goals not seen in usual play.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:36:25 pm by FantasticDorf »

Ralkesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 12:55:44 am »

If i were you, due to their size i would probably include a threshold of bravery (to compliment charges and invoke suprise over the ferocity of these mice-people in battle, meaning you can make them smaller and weaker than a kobold to good effect), a good amount of isolationist intolerance of others, very low base amounts of cruelty, high orderlyness, curiousity, excitement, altruism  and just a streak of michevious as a wild-card defining factor (besides them fawning over paladin justice/administration via orderlyness)

As a end result you end up with extremely inquisitive creatures with a inherent mischievous streak (whether it affects them no doing as you ask or meddling with levers at random like gremlins remains to be seen presumably as long as its within the law) but are also resolute in trying to not give into those urges via a orderly society. They are kind to their own but look suspiciously if not a little anxiously at others.

Played around with personalities (untested in fortress mode, but comes out fairly well in adv. mode) and turned out quite well... They're trusting, kind and prefer to help those in need, somewhat excitement seeking, insanely brave despite their height, despise other cultures and races and tend to give into flights of fancy and extremely curious.

Spoiler:  Mousekin Personality (click to show/hide)

Running into an issue regarding overall hair length (is always shown as being extremely long), fur descriptions and male facial hair aren't showing despite having the correct tokens.

Did play around with a fortress before I added in personalities and removed [variable_value] token from their entity file (cultural values kept swinging wildly... now they are static) and had a micekin pupsplosion... 11 and 12 pups in a single litter from my militia commander and a legendary glassmaker... restricted the pups to a nursery burrow with food, beds, toys, decorations and a well (with grate) yet they ended up remaining with the mother after a lengthy [Cancels Work, Seeking Infant] spam; any method of keeping the pups in the burrow and allowing the mother to continue their duties?