Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AI does barely every uses interactions... any workaround?  (Read 1936 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
AI does barely every uses interactions... any workaround?
« on: July 28, 2016, 05:00:03 am »

I've always used interactions a lot in my mods. That was in 34.11, now in 43.03 civ-members that can do special interactions barely use them. Even in combat it is extremely rare.

This makes anything related to magic, special abilities, unique items or high-end technology almost impossible.

Yes, my mage can use a firejet in combat, but when sending 7 of them they keep bashing the enemy for 1-2 pages of combat log, before a single one of them remembers that he can conjure fire.

Yes, one guy can in theory rapidly fire rock-globs at enemies, but never does so.

I knew that interactions are not used by civilians without a USAGE_HINT anymore, but I did not know that its this bad... that even interactions with USAGE_HINT:ATTACK are barely used. :/
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: AI does barely every uses interactions... any workaround?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 05:48:10 am »

Yeah, this is a damn bother. Though I haven't seen them not spam interactions to their heart's content while combat though.

Hopefully this will be resolved with these magic releases.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:24:09 am »

I'm pretty sure that creatures in combat will use interactions at every opportunity, but only if the combat level is lethal or no quarter.

You can abuse this with one-tick application of the CRAZED tag, but of course this only works for interactions that are supposed to make creatures unpredictable (pretas, for instance).

Also, domestic non-sapient pets still use GREETING interactions occasionally.

Toady said he's going to be adding a whole bunch of new rules and usage hints for the magic arc, so that's good news.  Until then, well...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 09:32:56 am »

combat level is lethal or no quarter.
?

Then I dont know what I'm doing wrong.

I just gave my civ members the extremely basic interactions from the fireimp. Vanilla stuff that I know works.
Code: [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Hurl fireball]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:FLOW:FIREBALL]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:30]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Spray jet of fire]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:FLOW:FIREJET]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:5]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:30]

All 7 at embark can do this... I embarked on a tower, attack the dead inside. No one ever used any of the interactions. :/
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 02:34:43 pm »

I knew that interactions are not used by civilians without a USAGE_HINT anymore,

Huh :o.  So that's why it seemed like my magic potions weren't having any effect anymore...

I'm confused about why you did the tower-embark-test, though.  Is it the case that creatures use their combat interactions in the Arena but not in the actual game?  Or do they also not use them in the Arena?

In my hands, as of at least 0.43.04 creatures use their combat interactions with wild abandon in the Arena, but civilized creatures with natural magic attacks are rare enough in my own perpetually-unreleased mod that I actually don't know if combat interactions get used in Fort Mode or not :/.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 03:12:57 pm »

In my hands, as of at least 0.43.04 creatures use their combat interactions with wild abandon in the Arena, but civilized creatures with natural magic attacks are rare enough in my own perpetually-unreleased mod that I actually don't know if combat interactions get used in Fort Mode or not :/.
Everyone in arena is in a state of perpetual combat, so they spam as fast as cooldowns allow. Dunno about adventure, but fort mode only animals spam outside combat.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 03:16:59 pm »

I never use the arena. I always test in fort mode.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 05:35:46 pm »

Hmm. I wonder if the state of combat affects it (brawl, no quarter, etc). That could explain why they spam them so hard in the arena.

I've also noticed arena creatures blasting away with all their usable interactions.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 10:59:33 pm »

If you're using the raws from fire imps, I also don't know what you're doing wrong. My modded invader armies of fire Imps spammed their attacks so much that the map turned to fire and ash and my dwarves literally evaporated, armor and all, from the sheer heat of the blasts. Even after nerfing their recharge rate people still complain they are overpowered.

My guess is that this is civilian specific, and something about citizen AI hampers interaction spam.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 06:07:24 pm »

I've always used interactions a lot in my mods. That was in 34.11, now in 43.03 civ-members that can do special interactions barely use them. Even in combat it is extremely rare.

This makes anything related to magic, special abilities, unique items or high-end technology almost impossible.

Yes, my mage can use a firejet in combat, but when sending 7 of them they keep bashing the enemy for 1-2 pages of combat log, before a single one of them remembers that he can conjure fire.

Yes, one guy can in theory rapidly fire rock-globs at enemies, but never does so.

I knew that interactions are not used by civilians without a USAGE_HINT anymore, but I did not know that its this bad... that even interactions with USAGE_HINT:ATTACK are barely used. :/

This is very disconcerting to hear. Couple questions,
1. Is it never or is it just basically never?
2. Have you tried an add syndrome interaction? Just wondering if it is all interactions or if they are ignoring material emission interactions more.
3. Does adding [CDI:FREE_ACTION] help the AI at all? I'm wondering if the AI is granting physical attacks a much higher priority.
4. Does adding in an announcement help at all? I don't see why it would, but you never know.

It does sound like a weird AI problem. Maybe report it as a bug or ask Toady himself about it? Unless one of the wizards working with DFHack could figure out how to alter the AI, which would be so amazing I can't even imagine.