Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What species do you usally play as in Adventure Mode?  (Read 13105 times)

Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What species do you usally play as in Adventure Mode?
« on: July 28, 2016, 01:45:16 pm »

Asking just because I'm curious, really. Do you play as a different species with each adventurer, or prefer to stick with a certain species? What influences which adventurers you play as?

For example, my adventurers so far have been: A Moth person (dead), Snail person (dead), Butterfly person (alive), Crab person (alive) and a Slug person (alivedead, on a different world to the others). All of them are invertebrates, and in the game, they don't need to sleep and never get 'drowsy'. I chose them because I love inverterbrates a lot, even though Slug and Snail men are some of the weakest playable species.

So, what do you typically play as?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:04:12 am by Butterfly »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What species do you usally play as in Adventure Mode?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 02:23:23 pm »

I mainly play dwarf. Might test stuff as another species, but for actual Adv Mode runs just dwarven peasants.

I guess I like dwarf because they typify the idea of resilience, which is what an adventurer should be. Thematically they seem like they're willing to dig deep when they need to and grind something out, which I think makes the journey the goal in of itself. That's probably at odds with the conventional notion of dwarven greed though, pecuniary or otherwise.

Their shortcoming is their agility. Most vanilla dwarves will never beat another average creature on the fastest attack possible attack (4 ticks). They'll always be behind. Which is okay. Elves feel too overpowered given their speed buff, and their 5k memory/disease resistance.

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 02:54:03 pm »

I mostly play as humans

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:54:54 pm »

Lol moth man :D

LordKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 05:50:51 pm »

I mostly play humans, but in my current world have had a lot of fun with a few Gorlak adventurers who with their bodies consisting of a giant head with tusks makes for very good biters in combat. Seem to move very slow though unfortunately. Also goblins can be nice for not having to care about food and boring stuff like that, and their ferocious nature makes cool poems and songs and stuff.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 05:56:28 pm by LordKnows »

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 04:50:17 am »

I mostly play as humans because you can get free armor (and weapons and ammo etc) in every keep you visit.
Elves feel too overpowered
I always thought elves were underpowered  because they're small (can't use the free human equipment) and they can't see in the dark like dwarves (who are small as well). Occasionally I play as a plump helmet man.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 05:47:31 am »

Elves used to be OP because of their high dodge chances and speed, but now they're one of the weakest non animal man sentients to play as. I usually go human.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 07:06:15 am »

I mostly play as humans because you can get free armor (and weapons and ammo etc) in every keep you visit.
Elves feel too overpowered
I always thought elves were underpowered  because they're small (can't use the free human equipment) and they can't see in the dark like dwarves (who are small as well). Occasionally I play as a plump helmet man.

I once played as a plump helmet man poet, not knowing they can't talk...

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 08:05:40 am »

Various Snake-Men usually. Ive been attempting to gauge the effectiveness of animal man syndromes. Turns out a gut punch is more effective as it simply takes too long for even the fastest syndromes to take effect.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

VoxelMush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 11:21:23 am »

So far I've played as an Adder man, Aye-aye man, and Elephant man. Only the latter is still alive.

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 06:23:15 pm »

All of them are invertebrates, and in the game, they don't need to sleep and never get 'drowsy'.

I'm fascinated to learn that :o

I play the Peregrine Falcon Man; tricky terrain means nothing to me as I fly over them at 4.4 speed (or 6.3 if I'm in a short rush)

Now, if only fast travel would allow me to adjust speed, and allow movement through mountains and over water...

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 09:07:41 pm »

I usually go for axe-goblin or mace-goblin. Bashing in my noble's face is amusing. Throwing his butchered remains on the magma chute I use to dispose of garbage is even more amusing. Then I just  jump in there and un-retire the fort.

The whole ordeal is pointless because most of the time a new baron or something finds his way on the fort during the two weeks, but meh, that isn't my main fort anyway.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

RedDwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 10:29:41 pm »

For me I chose a dwarf due how resilient they are (Plus I think if you're a dwarf vampire, you become even more resilience(correct me if I'm wrong). For example, I remember going to a dark fortress so I could destroy it visit it with my Dwarven vampire then I fall into a giant ass hole in the floor but I still survive...kinda

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 02:04:52 am »

Usually human, occassionally dwarf, and I have a mod I made myself for my game with a few more races with interesting abilities/skillsets.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 04:49:37 am »

Goblin, not having to eat or drink is amazing
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5