Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What species do you usally play as in Adventure Mode?  (Read 13102 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What species do you usally play as in Adventure Mode?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 05:58:54 am »

I like to mod the game to play as a full bonafied demon-slaved evil entity goblin, then walk around the world watching people pass rude comments at me when i walk into a dwarf fortress. I could go in and pillage the place but usually i dont have the backup or supplies to handle murder (just yet) so i just browse the stock, talk to a few people, receive some borderline stereotyping along the lines of "how can you live in such violence and hatred?" and usually leave to go wander some more.

Also i've noticed as a goblin, that other goblin bandits will not particularly harrass you, they just let you walk in to the warehouse/camp and take their stuff and there's always plenty of free weapons lying around the dark towers. My goal is to become a revered goblin warrior, slayer of beasts and scourge of man, ruling with a iron fist over the hamlets and lodge war-camp adventure sites where i house my kin.

Demon lords are almost too cool to overthrow and become a master of a civilisation, every time i talk to one in that lonely throne room they always turn out to be chill cool dudes (probably due to high social stats) rather than imposing. It makes me really want to steal their slab and go on a immense pub crawl as a good buddy.

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 02:50:32 pm »

I like to mod the game to play as a full bonafied demon-slaved evil entity goblin, then walk around the world watching people pass rude comments at me when i walk into a dwarf fortress. I could go in and pillage the place but usually i dont have the backup or supplies to handle murder (just yet) so i just browse the stock, talk to a few people, receive some borderline stereotyping along the lines of "how can you live in such violence and hatred?" and usually leave to go wander some more.

Also i've noticed as a goblin, that other goblin bandits will not particularly harrass you, they just let you walk in to the warehouse/camp and take their stuff and there's always plenty of free weapons lying around the dark towers. My goal is to become a revered goblin warrior, slayer of beasts and scourge of man, ruling with a iron fist over the hamlets and lodge war-camp adventure sites where i house my kin.

Demon lords are almost too cool to overthrow and become a master of a civilisation, every time i talk to one in that lonely throne room they always turn out to be chill cool dudes (probably due to high social stats) rather than imposing. It makes me really want to steal their slab and go on a immense pub crawl as a good buddy.

What do you change to be able to play as such a goblin?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 03:19:07 pm »

[ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] to the goblin entity ([EVIL])

It enables the goblin entity to be selectable out of the adventurer list (not a outsider, you will be hostile with the rest of the world, so be warned in wartime). Personally i also like to flesh out the civ also with near equal but flavourful alternative [SITE] positions (so that 'expedition leaders' in dark pit sites can give out quests with [KILL_QUEST]) so that they run smoother. Modded in goblin militia (from a selection of lashers and great axe/maul wielders) are often quite keen to join you and you will have a handful of lifelong friends already in your quest log because of immortality.

Be warned, goblins have high populations (causing lag) and their settlements are fiddly to escape out of due to trench fortifications (which is a safe place to practice climbing due to raised dirt), using the T screen you can find the outskirts of the trenches and then go into travel mode, you will still become drowsy but food and drink is not a problem.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:23:11 pm by FantasticDorf »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 04:43:46 pm »

It enables the goblin entity to be selectable out of the adventurer list (not a outsider, you will be hostile with the rest of the world, so be warned in wartime). Personally i also like to flesh out the civ also with near equal but flavourful alternative [SITE] positions (so that 'expedition leaders' in dark pit sites can give out quests with [KILL_QUEST]) so that they run smoother. Modded in goblin militia (from a selection of lashers and great axe/maul wielders) are often quite keen to join you and you will have a handful of lifelong friends already in your quest log because of immortality.

Be warned, goblins have high populations (causing lag) and their settlements are fiddly to escape out of due to trench fortifications (which is a safe place to practice climbing due to raised dirt), using the T screen you can find the outskirts of the trenches and then go into travel mode, you will still become drowsy but food and drink is not a problem.
then there's the bit of goblins going weeks of no sleep will get hit by a mood as soon as you retire one in a goblin sanction fort.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 04:56:05 pm »

Goblins don't experience moods, that's a dwarf only [STRANGE_MOODS] trait, the only artifact goblin production comes from babysnatched/ex-slave dwarves. (Hence why im hyped to update my modifications for the new version/versions so i can totally dish out and lay claim to a object my innumerable horde seizes and cultivate artifact builders to benefit/rebel against my demon master or future adventurer)

They actually sleep as regularly as dwarves, weeks is hardly true. Its the only annoying micro-manager bit in having to produce so many beds (I ramp my fort pop up to 300 because so many migrants come of a drop of a hat) or have ESPECIALLY grumpy goblins hobbling around (including a large hospital filled with 100's of years of frontline unsympathetic doctoring experience requiring a fleet of beds for soldiers and anger management) besides feeding non-goblins and trolls on beak dog meat and eggs and occasional dribbles of wine and water.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 05:34:10 pm »

Goblins don't experience moods, that's a dwarf only [STRANGE_MOODS] trait, the only artifact goblin production comes from babysnatched/ex-slave dwarves. (Hence why im hyped to update my modifications for the new version/versions so i can totally dish out and lay claim to a object my innumerable horde seizes and cultivate artifact builders to benefit/rebel against my demon master or future adventurer)

They actually sleep as regularly as dwarves, weeks is hardly true. Its the only annoying micro-manager bit in having to produce so many beds (I ramp my fort pop up to 300 because so many migrants come of a drop of a hat) or have ESPECIALLY grumpy goblins hobbling around (including a large hospital filled with 100's of years of frontline unsympathetic doctoring experience requiring a fleet of beds for soldiers and anger management) besides feeding non-goblins and trolls on beak dog meat and eggs and occasional dribbles of wine and water.
I had a vanilla goblin fall to melancholy from just over working to "NEED SLEEP!" levels probably from the built on stress not sleeping added.
had another just gone berserk out of the blue when retiring them to a player's fort.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 12:55:33 am »

I play as human, I like being a simple human in a world of crazy monsters and fantasy beings.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 08:41:05 am »

I'm intrigued. Could you post or PM (are private messages available here?) how to do it? Where's the raw for the goblin entity? I have zero experience changing raws an modding.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 10:05:52 am »

It enables the goblin entity to be selectable out of the adventurer list (not a outsider, you will be hostile with the rest of the world, so be warned in wartime).

I'm intrigued. Could you post or PM (are private messages available here?) how to do it? Where's the raw for the goblin entity? I have zero experience changing raws an modding.

Open your DF file, go to the 'raw' folder, find 'entity_default' then either track on down through it OR use the notepad 'find' function for goblin (which will fast track you to the [EVIL] civ where goblins come from and insert it neatly) then insert [ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] to tell the game you want adventurers from that civilization to be available.

Code: [Select]
[ENTITY:EVIL]
        [ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] <--- this is a good recommended and easy place to put it, make sure its in line, you can use space bar and backspace to shimmy it around into order. If you dont feel confident putting it at the top, put it a little lower down.
[CREATURE:GOBLIN]
[TRANSLATION:GOBLIN]

All in line and snuck in, the order you put it in doesn't matter but near the top so it can be seen clearly is recommended, try not to displace the other tags, nice and tidy and it'll work.

All the base entities (as to say civilisations) are in the same entity folder within the raws, Goblins on the list are below Humans [PLAINS] and above Kobolds [SKULKING] so about midway, look for references to evil to help you.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 11:24:14 am »

It enables the goblin entity to be selectable out of the adventurer list (not a outsider, you will be hostile with the rest of the world, so be warned in wartime).

Open your DF file, go to the 'raw' folder, find 'entity_default' then either track on down through it OR use the notepad 'find' function for goblin (which will fast track you to the [EVIL] civ where goblins come from and insert it neatly) then insert [ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] to tell the game you want adventurers from that civilization to be available.

Code: [Select]
[ENTITY:EVIL]
        [ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] <--- this is a good recommended and easy place to put it, make sure its in line, you can use space bar and backspace to shimmy it around into order. If you dont feel confident putting it at the top, put it a little lower down.
[CREATURE:GOBLIN]
[TRANSLATION:GOBLIN]

All in line and snuck in, the order you put it in doesn't matter but near the top so it can be seen clearly is recommended, try not to displace the other tags, nice and tidy and it'll work.

All the base entities (as to say civilisations) are in the same entity folder within the raws, Goblins on the list are below Humans [PLAINS] and above Kobolds [SKULKING] so about midway, look for references to evil to help you.

THANKS! I'm gonna have soo much fun with this...
Edit: wait, do I have to create a new world after changing the raws, or do I also have to mod an already created world's save?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:27:15 am by SebasMarolo »
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 12:00:51 pm »

New world is mandatory

Jako98145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 04:18:52 pm »

Mostly humans, sometimes goblins, dwarfs, and wolf/bear men.  I don't think I can ever play as a monarch butterfly man again, though...since a kobold wrestler killed me as one once...I'm sure you all understand

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 12:31:48 am »

Very embarrassing yes. Of course I once got eaten by a groundhog. I was playing as a full-size modded minotaur. Pain tolerance is serious business, turns out.

I most often play as human, although since the update allowing us to play as animal men from wilderness populations, I've been trying everything out. There's some fun in being an unstoppable rhinoceros man.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2016, 08:29:08 pm »

Generally I play human, because it makes finding armor a breeze. I once tried playing as a snakeman because in my head it sounded amazing, but it turns out that they are REALLY slow. Plus you can't jump. Most animal men are tiny, too.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2016, 11:45:11 pm »

Generally I play human, because it makes finding armor a breeze. I once tried playing as a snakeman because in my head it sounded amazing, but it turns out that they are REALLY slow. Plus you can't jump. Most animal men are tiny, too.

Yeah snakemen are fairly useless, The syndromes take too long to take effect to be useful and the lack of jumping limits your options. Only plus I can think of is that having body as your [STANCE] part means you can't really be made unable to stand without being permanently completely paralyzed.

I haven't played all of them but most animal men seem to size between kobolds and dwarves
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5