Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What species do you usally play as in Adventure Mode?  (Read 12993 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What species do you usally play as in Adventure Mode?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2016, 04:21:23 am »

Probably something to do with the fact most of the base creatures defined in the games raws are smaller than dwarves. Birds hold the largest share id reckon, insects and then small reptiles the next largest. Then there's small mammals.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2016, 08:47:11 am »

I usually play as a human, sometimes dwarves, rarely anything else.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2016, 09:17:16 am »

I warned you
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2016, 01:31:47 pm »

Human or modded creature. Sometimes dwarf, kobold, elephant person, or spider person.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2016, 03:50:47 pm »

I'm a big fan of Walrus men.

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2016, 02:47:17 am »

Black Bear man Wrestler! (choke/bite em to death!)
Or Human with two-handed sword!
Or (Masterwork DF) Orc with axe, chasing necromancers!(Mostly fails, too many resurrected heads...)

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 01:44:59 pm »

So far played a couple dwarves and a still-running Human who's doing far better. Haven't bothered playing an Elf, I don't like the sound of wooden-armored glass cannons ... xD.
Also armor is hard as a dwarf, nobody has any, not even goblin bandits.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2016, 08:48:40 am »

I tried Humans and Elves but now I just play Dwarves.  I am starting to wonder if it is a good idea.  For example, if I don't drink booze, does my Dwarf slow down and become less active?  I don't really know how it works...
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2016, 10:42:48 am »

I mostly play as modded creatures, but to be fair I don't have a particular preference - I base my decisions mostly on which civ has the most bandit camps and monster lairs nearby.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2016, 11:16:54 am »

So far played a couple dwarves and a still-running Human who's doing far better. Haven't bothered playing an Elf, I don't like the sound of wooden-armored glass cannons ... xD.
Also armor is hard as a dwarf, nobody has any, not even goblin bandits.

Elves are little different than Dwarves in Adv mode. They're the same size and thus can use the same gear. The primary difference is that they're more agile but less durable. Considering how difficult armor is to source for anything not of human size, the extra agility makes elven adventurers a little more resilient overall, considering your relying on agility without armour anyway.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Draximo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2016, 12:57:16 pm »

I am playing as a vampire mooseman, with them I have taken over most of the known world. one of my favorite things to do is recruit a naked dwarf from a lair, go to a new kingdom and murder their leader, then my first order of business is taking said dwarf to the highly populated market and wait till the full moon... Watching a weregiraffe decimate a cities population is quite satisfying, and hey, I got a new shiny steel pick!

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2016, 05:50:36 pm »

The primary difference is that they're more agile but less durable.

Also, they can butcher and consume their enemies.

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2016, 07:23:42 pm »

My favorite adventurer mode race is elves. They're usually the underdogs, they have great stats and speed, and I have yet to see a martial trance in adventure mode since the end of .34.xx. Linguistics +++, disease resistance +++, recuperation +, agility +, etc. etc. strikes me as very nice.

I'm pretty sure elves cannot butcher and consume anything any differently than dwarves or humans.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2016, 03:26:20 am »

Also, they can butcher and consume their enemies.
That's tied to Elven Civilizations, not the Elven species. [EAT_SAPIENT_KILL] applies to any member of a Civ with the tag elf or otherwise.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2016, 07:30:56 am »

Nobody can butcher anyone in adventure mode anymore.

As for combat trances, they still happen but I think you have to be alone and fighting multiple enemies for it to happen.  So if you're playing well you won't see one.

I generally play either humans or modded races with interesting mechanics.  Kappas are fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5