Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What species do you usally play as in Adventure Mode?  (Read 13079 times)

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
Re: What species do you usally play as in Adventure Mode?
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2016, 12:23:06 am »

Tiger/Lion/Cheetah men are all great. Badger/Wolverine men with anger cranked up on their personality sheets seem to rage more.

Modded megabeasts are fun although they can be boring when everyone runs from/fights you, even if they agree to yield or join you on your adventures. I yield! *immediately swings pickaxe*
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2016, 04:18:50 pm »

Dwarven humans. Steel weaponry plus the size advantage of a human.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2016, 09:31:37 pm »

I modded in a race of "high elves" into my game so I could play as a proper ranger. That was fun.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:33:20 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2016, 10:00:08 am »

I modded in a race of "high elves" into my game so I could play as a proper ranger. That was fun.
As if you can't already? What makes high elves different?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2016, 07:05:05 pm »

Sometimes I go the boring route and play a human. Elves are interesting due to being smaller, starting with shitty gear, but being at peace with wildlife. Their lack of waterskins is a fucking annoyance when playing vanilla though. And then there's moose men. I seem to always wind up as a maul-wielding zombie hunter when I pick mooseman.

When modding though, I enjoy kobolds as a challenge, or I use reptile men that have been beefed up to human size for a more mundane adventure. Or I test out playable non-megabeast dragons, and hilarity ensues. Some of my most interesting adventures have been as a civilized dragon. Conquering multiple hamlets, rescuing goblin prisoners, almost dying from applying Kisat Dur's "dragonfall" technique too literally (rammed a goblin THROUGH a fortification, sending us both sailing off a tower)...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2016, 12:56:33 am »

Usually humans. My current adventurer is a fox man. He was planned in-game years before I started, by which I mean I genned worlds until I could start with fox men. I then checked where they started and, by all luck, you could start at a Dwarven settlement. This means that I could potentionally get fox people as visitors if I started a fortress close by. I was going to do that anyway, because fox people are smaller than all other civilized creatures, meaning that I can't get free armor from keeps. Also, it was a Dwarven settlement, so there was no free armor in the first place. So, aside from a little fortress mode fun, the reason I started my previous Fort is to create armor fit for fox people, retire it, start adventurer mode with a fox man, and get my free armor from there.

That phase is completed, by the way, and you can read about his exploits here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:02:25 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

kewlslice

• Bay Watcher
  • It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2016, 02:04:56 am »

I almost always play human, but I want to try something fresh. What are all the abilities the animal men have? I know bird men can fly and elephant men have tusks, but what else is there?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2016, 03:19:10 am »

I almost always play human, but I want to try something fresh. What are all the abilities the animal men have? I know bird men can fly and elephant men have tusks, but what else is there?
Fox people aren't that great, but like you said, bird people are pretty awesome and stuff. I heard that platypus people have a venomous kick. No idea how, I didn't try it, but I got word that they do. Then tiger/lion/cougar/etc. people have very strong scratch and bite attacks, badger/wolverine people get angry faster, which gives significant combat boosts.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2016, 10:51:19 am »

Brown recluse spider men have a Fun venomous bite, and both spidermen are apparently neutral to bogeymen due to the NOFEAR token (assuming you still bother with bogeymen-infested worlds).

Another person started a good thread for this question: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160054.0
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2016, 11:34:20 pm »

Spidermen also have 6 arms, which is exceptional for kisat dur ;-)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2016, 02:55:37 am »

As if you can't already? What makes high elves different?

I made it so that I could join a few different groups in these sites, guards for nobles, and each high elvan site has a ranger captain  and you can legiotimately be a RANGER.

they also have roads and tombs and stuff.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2016, 03:22:43 am »

I made it so that I could join a few different groups in these sites, guards for nobles, and each high elvan site has a ranger captain  and you can legiotimately be a RANGER.

This I've also done. Literally all I did was make ranger captains site positions, gave them a squad, and made them in charge of justice. Bare minimum to allow elven adventurers a "locally important" option.

I recall also handing sheriffs a squad so dwarves could start as locally important in hillocks too.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

PauliusTheGnoll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2016, 07:41:37 am »

Well I prefer hyena (wo)man, size similar to humans, so easy to find the right armor.

NorkasAradel

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2016, 06:13:18 pm »

Any sort of spider man, for maximum armage.
Quote from: Announcement Screen
Kasat Osmandonu, Ghostly Human Bard has risen and is haunting the fortress!
At least his moaning and chain rattling will be in key and hopefully entertaining.

StruckDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2016, 05:27:36 am »

I usually play humans for the size advantage. I played Dwarf in the past but martial trances just made things melt and got boring.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5