Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Roll to Dodge a Song VI: Super Arena Boogaloo (Fight 1 in Progress)  (Read 4097 times)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile

Roll to Dodge a Song VI*: Super Arena Boogaloo
(Because if it died this many times before, it has to be good)

"Now awful is it to be without,
As blood-red rack races overhead;
Is the welkin gory with warrior`s blood
As we valkyries war songs chanted.
Well have we chanted charms full many
About the king`s son: may it bode him well!
Let him learn them who listens to us,
And speak these spells to spearmen after."

- Excerpt from the Song of the Valkyries

A: Welcome, welcome, welcome! This thread is the sixth incarnation of the venerable Roll to Dodge a Song series, and we fully expect a successf-

H: Wait, sixth?

A: Indeed. Sixth, very venerable. Now, more to the point this will be an aren-

H: What happened to the other five?

A: Nothing important, really. They died horribly. What is important is all that history just goes to support the glory of this arena. So, without furthe-

H: Died?! You, I haven't even heard of you! What the hell do you think you're doing resurrecting a series that has been surrounded by nothing but death. You're insane! Insa-

A heavy series of increasingly wet thuds come through the loudspeaker, along with a begging whine that rapidly subsides into pained gurgling.

A: Ha. Yes. This was still on. Ah, that's not going to wash out of my shirt, is it? Well. No help for that. Anyway, without further ado:

The Rules

RULE 1: There shall be 5 players at minimum to start the Arena

RULE 2: The die used is a 1d6.  [1] is a crit fail, [6] is an overshot.

RULE 3: Each character has one song that is their song. The song forms the core of their character and is the source of their Skills. This song is between 1 and 7 minutes in length.

RULE 4: Each Arena has Three songs of its own. These songs define the Arena's environmental hazards and effects.

RULE 5: The songs from each character and the songs from the arena are added together to create a playlist. The playlist is random, and one song is always playing. Songs typically last for 1d4 +1 rounds.

RULE 6: There is no rule six.

RULE 7: When the personal song of an Arena combatant comes on, they become In The Zone. A character that is In The Zone is much tougher and much harder hitting.

RULE 8: In general a character can both move and attack/use a skill. Using an entire action to attack may make the attack more effective, same way for using an entire action to move.

RULE 9: Damage is done based on a descriptive system. In general, with no other environmental factors in play, a [6] attack against a [1] defense will not kill an undamaged target outright, but will inflict massive damage. If the attacker is in the zone, or debilitating factors in play, the same roll can still kill an undamaged target.

RULE 10: Attacks in the arena can be made at any range (as long as there is some justification for why). However, unless the character has an ability that says otherwise, damage scales thusly.
Melee: Massive Damage.
Short Range: High Damage.
Medium Range: Mid-Low Damage.
Long Range: Negligible damage.

Applications

Applications are simple. For a character, you need exactly two things: a name and a song. Bios and archetypes can help define the character and give me an idea of what you want to play, but they aren't needed.

Your skills and abilities are determined by the song you choose, as interpreted by the GM. This does mean that if you pick a song that makes the GM want to ram corn-cob holders through his eardrums, you'll probably get a shitty character. Otherwise, balance will be maintained.

For your own sake, do not pick "Hey There Delilah" as your song. You'll die before you ever make the lobby.

The arena vote is optional, but helps the GM decide which of the arena options to select to kill you with.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Upcoming Battles

The Grand Opening Battle
Song Length: 1d4+1
Song Selection: Random w/o immediate repetition.
Game Type: FFA Deathmatch
Special Rules: The next song in the playlist (but not its duration) is visible to all players.

Arena Options

Applicans
 (Applicants is far too negative)

• Derm
    Song:  Your Best Nightmare
    Abilities,
    I can't read his moves!: (Passive) Active defense and ability based defense are much less effective against you.
    Frisky Business: (Passive) Your durability is reduced, but you recover from all wounds when you get In the Zone.
    But Nobody Came... : Cooldown: 0 if fails, 3 if successful.   Activating this ability at the start of a round. If you take fatal damage, you are partially healed and all debuffs are removed. If not, you are weakened. (-1 to defense, can stack multiple times).
  • Nix
    Song:  Under Pressure
    Abilities,
    It's the terror of knowing/What this world is about: (Passive) Any time you gain a debuff, you gain a copy of that debuff that you can inflict with a successful attack.
    Insanity laughs, under pressure we're cracking: (Passive) Every time you hit the same opponent and they don't hit you, they get a cumulative -1 to their ability to defend against all.
    Pressing down on you: Cooldown: 4. Targets a single enemy. If successful, makes them very slow, nullifies their passive abilities, and puts their active abilities on cooldown. Lasts until that unit takes damage.
  • Beirus
    Song:  Through Fire and Flames
    Abilities,
    Day after day this misery must go on: (Passive) Your durability is greatly increased.
    In fire and pain, and once again we know: Cooldown 4: Grants an attack bonus based on how damaged you are. Near death grants a +4 attack bonus.
    Now here we stand with their blood on our hands: Cooldown: Starts with one charge. Is recharged when someone dies in the arena. Lasts three rounds, dealing damage within that period heals you.
  • Person
    Song:  Silver Lining
    Abilities,
    Retro: (Passive) You don't suffer ill effects from injuries, but you die more easily.
    Fan the Hammer: Cooldown 1: Attack until you miss once, up to six times. Each hit increases the cooldown by 1.
    Longcoated Blur: Cooldown 3: Can only move, but instantly gains a [5][5] to mobility to be used as you wish.  You gain a +2 to your defense on that round only.
  • Hawk
    Song:  Utsuho's Theme: Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom-Nuclear Fusion
    Abilities,
    Inexorable: (Passive) You can't roll higher than a 3 on mobility, but you are much tougher and all debuffs have reduced duration.
    Relentless: Cooldown 8: Attack until the defender rolls a natural 6 on their defense.
    Cute as a Button: Cooldown 3: Targets that attack you gain -2 to their next attack. Can't stack.
  • Johnny Stealth
    Song: Killers
  • Hyperkace
    Song: On the Black Sea
  • Commander Hache
    Song: Cybran Combat

*Thanks to Harry Baldman for actually counting.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:36:34 am by The Adversary »
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge a Song VI: Super Arena Boogaloo
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:57:34 pm »

Name: Nix
Song: Queen - Under Pressure
Archetype: Hit-and-Runner
Bio: A man with an intense fear of clowns.  The rest of his past is shrouded in mystery
Vote for Next Arena: Apocalypse ( I guess if it's not the first one chosen )

I wanted to use Bat out of Hell by Meatloaf, but that's like 9 minutes long.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:48:26 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 12:25:34 am »

Sure why not. Time to be ENTIERLY ORIGINAL.

Actually holy shit theres so many choices I want to make.

But in the end, there's really only one song that can fit someone as destructive and eldritch as I.

Name: Derm
Song: Your Best Nightmare/Finale - Ventrom cover
Archetype: I am a wizard.
Vote for Next Arena:  A Little Mad
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:28:42 am by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 03:35:26 am »

Count me in. There's only one song I want to choose. Well, there's a few, but the others will probably get me killed.

Name: Beirus
Song:Through the Fire and Flames-DragonForce
Archetype: Juggernaut
Vote for Next Arena: Apocalypse
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:52:49 am by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 08:30:27 am »

But in the end, there's really only one song that can fit someone as destructive and eldritch as I.

DAMNIT DERM. That's 7:03.  We haven't even started yet and you're breaking the rules. (Considering that it's right on the edge, and its a joy to listen to, I'll let it slide.)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:14:07 am by The Adversary »
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 08:41:30 am »

Ah, why not throw a submission in.

Name: Person
Song: Silver Lining
Archetype: Speedy Gun Fighter
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile

Name: Jonny stealth

song:Killers Iron Maiden

Archetype: Assassin

Vote for next arena: apocalypse
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:47:56 pm by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Hawk
Song: Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion ~ ☢ 2šRemix
Archetype: Nuke Mighty Glacier
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DAMNIT DERM. That's 7:03.  We haven't even started yet and you're breaking the rules. (Considering that it's right on the edge, and its a joy to listen to, I'll let it slide.)

I wanted to use DM Dokuro's G A R D E N  remix tho.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile

I wanted to use DM Dokuro's G A R D E N  remix tho.

... That excuse is like spilling jam on the tablecloth and saying it's not a big deal because it's not as bad as the virgin you were intending to sacrifice there.

Anyway, Arena 1 will be booting up soon. Additional rule will be added soon to clarify range and combat actions.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge a Song VI: Super Arena Boogaloo (In need of Combatants)
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 09:46:53 am »

Name: Hyperkace(If you get it why it was named like that...)
Song: Catch 22 - On the Black Sea
Archetype: Vengeance Bringer
Bio: HALP THERES A KEK CSURHING M-(See the note in front of the name)
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 10:09:09 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 11:43:48 am »

ARENA I:  Apocalypse

The arena appears as though a giant took a cookie cutter to the central square of some great city. A thoroughfare and a cross street make an X through center of the arena, and where they meet in the middle there is an enormous statue of stone, some ten stories tall, of a man clenching the globe in his fist. The artist as done a marvelous job of depicting a realistic sneer on the statue's.

The other areas outside the cobblestone street appear to be parklike recreational areas with tall trees, polished wood benches, and carefully cultivated flowers and shrubbery.

Four stone plaques, each ten feet tall and ten feet wide, face out from the cardinal directions of the statue's base. Upon those plaques is writ the following:

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

The five combatants warp in with a blaze of light, equally spaced in a pentagon at edge of the circular arena. Blood will be shed this day.

Round 1
Current Song: Silver Lining
Turns Left: 3

Next Song: Your Best Nightmare

Derm
Derm, scourge of plotlines, destroyer of exposition, a man with the patience of an ADHD toddler on a six pack of Red Bull and a strip and a half of cocaine, stands tall north side of the main thoroughfare, the 12 o'clock position of the Arena.. Smart money is that he'll kill someone and destroy a lot of shit.

Nix
Nix, a man who can apply pressure in any situation, warps in to the 2:30 position of the arena. The battlefield is open, complementing is hit and run capabilities, but is it going to be enough to hold up against the pair of heavies?

Beirus
Beirus, an unstoppable Juggernaut of steely destruction, flattens a plant as he comes in at 4:30. It's going to be interesting to see if their is going to be a direct confrontation between him and Hawk, a little bit of tank warfare to spice up the speedsters.

Person
In the Zone Bonus: Longcoated Blur can be used as a single action. +2 Evasion at all times.

The gunslinger who got a lucky draw right off the bat, Person comes in to the arena's 7:30 position on his own theme music! You know that has to feel good for him. Real questions is how much advantage he can take of it while it lasts. It might be too early to get a kill, but we'll see.

Hawk
Last but not least, in the 9:30 position, the Hawk. Probable the single toughest combatant here, but definitely the slowest. It'll be interesting to  see whether the lack of speed will severely hamper Hawk's ability to lock down its foes.

Spoiler: Derm (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nix (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Person (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hawk (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge a Song VI: Super Arena Boogaloo (Fight 1 in Progress)
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 11:49:22 am »

So... what, do I have to go up and punch people this go around?

Oh! Do I fight with songs? Are we all bards?

Oh, there are rules for that...

One momento.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:52:36 am by Dermonster »

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge a Song VI: Super Arena Boogaloo (Fight 1 in Progress)
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 11:52:34 am »

See rule ten. Attack as you would like. Gouts of fire, hidden firearms, massive tallywhacker, springblades, summon skeletal hands, etc.

I really don't care.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4