Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair  (Read 8268 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
« on: July 29, 2016, 02:17:01 am »

Do you like B-movies? Specifically low-budget action films? Ever wanted to play a game built around those classic tropes: half-rate acting, excuse plots, and the cheapest props and effects money can buy all put together to make little more than a spectacle of action? Well, if you haven't heard of the Earth Defense Force series (or have, but only have experience with the unfortunate Insect Armageddon, a shitty knockoff by a US company that missed the point completely), then I've got a game for you.

Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair, alternately just EDF 4.1, is the first PC port this series has seen since the aforementioned disappointment Insect Armageddon. Which, of course, means it's the only real PC port of the series. It's also a really, really good port, with a lot of people commenting that it runs far better than on consoles even with below-average computer specs. This is good news, because when there can be easily hundreds of enemies on screen getting blown up by a few dozen spectacular explosions with just one player, the game can be quite taxing.

Now, this action comes with some drawbacks that may deter some people. Visually, the game is somewhat meh. This is an intentionally low-budget game made by a team of 25 people, and you can see the effects as enemies get replaced with low-poly sprites in the distance, and even up close their textures and animations harken back to the late PS2 era. The plot is silly and a bit deranged, serving little more purpose than to fling you at more enemies, sometimes without even good reason. Finally, the voice acting is intentionally laughable, with NPC soldiers shouting cliches, chants, and occasionally bursting into a verse of The Battle Hymn of the Republic, rewritten to be about the titular EDF.

However, there's a whole boatload of these voice options, and anyone with soldiers following them can have their followers join them in glorious war cries. There's also a surprising amount of different voices you'll actually hear, which can help keep it fresh. As for the visuals, they're a necessary sacrifice to keep the game running smoothly, and while there aren't really any ways to adjust the game for higher-end computers which can take more punishment, it also means that fairly old computers with underwhelming stats can still join in the fun. It also means that the game can support a truly ridiculous amount of stuff going on at once without even minor slowdowns, except in the most insanely frenetic scenarios (such as several truly massive field battles involving literally thousands of enemies).

There is one warning, however. The game uses SSE 4.1, so anyone using a Phenom II or older AMD CPU needs to download an unofficial patch (stickied in the game's Steam Discussions) in order to actually play. It's an easy fix to apply, though, and was made by a professional developer, so it's safe.
Nothing important here, move along.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 03:36:26 am »

So 25 developers convinced thousands of people to pay $50 for a low budget, unfunny, and meh game? But it's intentionally all of those so it's legit.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:42:05 am »

Yes. Despite the fact that it's low budget and unfunny, I wouldn't call it meh, though. There's a pretty constant upcurve of getting new and better toys to play with, and there's more than a little satisfaction in getting to annihilate literal swarms of enemies. No, it's not for everyone, but if mindless, gratuitous violence and explosions are something you can get behind, it's worth checking out.
Nothing important here, move along.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 04:18:56 am »

Because you can do everything here in-game, including the singing. Except for the instrumental though.

It really runs smoothly compared to the console version and its very well done port.

Also be prepared to hear "GIANT INSECTS" in a serious(as serious as a B-movie) voice, a lot.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:24:45 am by majikero »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 05:54:00 pm »

You forgot to mention what's, in my opinion, the most fun feature of the game: every building is destructible. Every. Single. One. Turning a city into rubble has never been so easy!
._.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 11:12:25 pm »

Because you can do everything here in-game, including the singing. Except for the instrumental though.

It really runs smoothly compared to the console version and its very well done port.

Also be prepared to hear "GIANT INSECTS" in a serious(as serious as a B-movie) voice, a lot.
FINALLY!  I can praise the Emperor like a proper Imperial Guardsman!  I FOUND A HILL CAN I DIE ON IT COMMISSAR SIR?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 11:47:01 pm »

I shall have to acquire this once I have internet at my new home.
This is after just reading the first sentence of the description, by the way...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 02:26:21 am »

You forgot to mention what's, in my opinion, the most fun feature of the game: every building is destructible. Every. Single. One. Turning a city into rubble has never been so easy!

And once again I am ASTOUNDED by the fact that this is still such an uncommon mechanic even today.

Even Red Faction a series that prides itself on that mechanic... ended with a game that tossed that in the garbage.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 02:28:36 am »

I was intrigued by the game, then saw the price tag. For what's supposedly a cheap low-budget game they certainly aren't selling it like one.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 03:42:00 am »

Yeah, Japanese games straight from the publisher tends to sell them at full price. I got it during the 30% release sale so its much more reasonable, even if its still a bit expensive.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 02:22:09 pm »

Looks like a completely different genre than the 2002 vaporware: real-time shooter rather than turn-based squad ....

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 08:32:06 pm »

Currently having to pick between buying this or Monster hunter Generations @_@
Such a hard choice.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 12:43:13 am »

Its run really well and i've really enjoyed it so far. im uh.. 34 missions in? of like.. 80 or something. (singleplayer, normal difficulty - 7 hours). apparently the multiplayer is even better..
Make sure you pay attention to the minimum/recommended specs, i'm over them so its buttery smooth but they are higher then you'd expect from the graphics..
..it makes sense though. what other game can you have like hundreds of giant enemies on screen all exploding simultaneously
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 12:45:02 am by Rift »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 12:53:11 am »

Watching a video of this now and I'm liking what I see even more now. I can only imagine what it's like in multiplayer. The guy mentions a 35 dollar price tag, which I might've paid... 50 is just a bit too steep considering I've been spending quite a lot recently.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 02:22:17 am »

I'll be grabbing it on sale myself.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5