Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Invasions?  (Read 6489 times)

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Invasions?
« on: July 28, 2016, 06:19:23 am »

Guys, when do invasions occur?

I've tried settling near as many neighbours as possible - with all the Civs ticked for "Invade" and "Appear in World Map", but I'm only ever attacked by Were creatures & Titans over the span of several years.

What am I missing?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:34:10 am by Encrtia »
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
Re: No Invasions?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 06:40:57 am »

Invasions in the newer versions work differently than before - instead of scripted events, firing upon reaching certain wealth of your fortress, the game now actually tracks armies.

Due to this change, civs now have to carefully evaluate their targets for invasions - and your fortress, even after a few years, is rarely a ripe target.

At least I think it works that way.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 08:37:21 am »

So the invasion triggers don't play into it at all anymore?

Before it was an either or: population trigger or wealth trigger.

So if your 5 dwarf fortress reached a certain value (I think it was in exported goods?) then you triggered an invasion. Each "evil" race, identified by the baby snatcher tag, had different values to have them start invading in either the early game or the late game. (In vanilla is only goblins but in the fortress defense mod or masterwork you had a lot more races).

I'm having some issues with the newer versions upon returning. The taverns are causing workload bottlenecks in the fortress as my crafters spend all their time dancing and listening to stories. Lazy buggers.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 09:23:44 am »

So the invasion triggers don't play into it at all anymore?

Before it was an either or: population trigger or wealth trigger.

So if your 5 dwarf fortress reached a certain value (I think it was in exported goods?) then you triggered an invasion. Each "evil" race, identified by the baby snatcher tag, had different values to have them start invading in either the early game or the late game. (In vanilla is only goblins but in the fortress defense mod or masterwork you had a lot more races).

I'm having some issues with the newer versions upon returning. The taverns are causing workload bottlenecks in the fortress as my crafters spend all their time dancing and listening to stories. Lazy buggers.

No that's still there, but it only applies to enemies that can get to you and if they can they'll have to physically move across the map instead of teleporting on your borders; if the closest goblin army has to cross through a terrifying reanimation biome to reach you, they're probably not going to reach you. Same thing applies to caravans and guests, incidentally.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 09:37:27 am »

Not for caravans, these I can still spawn if needed.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 09:58:18 am »

I dislike that global change. Invasions and attacks are really what I enjoy most about DF. Building is fun, but the survival aspects of having to prepare for someone who is going to try to come take what you've got is really important.

There might be a method in worldgen to make invasions more viable, if it's uncrossable terrain and biomes that make it problematic. I shall have to do some science.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 10:02:22 am »

The dfhack people have been talking about spawning fake invasions since this change happened... but no one ever wrote the script for it.

We can already spawn enemy units, but the script would require them to be equipped and spawned on the map-edge.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 10:06:19 am »

What about a spawn point where you run a reaction and it spawns an enemy creature at a different location?

Or does it have to be where the reaction stone is dropped and evaporated?

On the army travel thing, I have seen where caravans will leave via large caverns below-ground. Is it possible for armies to arrive via a cavern? If so, then perhaps cavern openness could be a variable which would influence more invasions.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 02:54:50 pm »

Not very scientific testing, but I used dfhack to spawn gold bars until my fortress wealth hit about a million and in the older (100 year) world I had multiple invasions during the second year.

Spawning the same amount of gold in a 30 year world did not spawn invasions though the civilizations were still nearby.

I think it has something to do with the size of the nearby civs which is largely related to the age of the world. Logically a larger enemy settlement would be able to spawn either a larger army or possibly multiple armies.

Unfortunately a 100 year world is not very playable on my old laptop.

I do not know how to be more consistent with the testing, however. I can not stop a worldgen at 30 years and play for a little while and then advance forward another 70 years.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 09:30:28 pm »

I dislike that global change.

Should've learned what Dwarf Fortress is before getting into it?

The change that brought that was the update that brought the game closest to its endgoal in one update *objectively*. Having armies be something real that travels across the map during play has always been an intention of the game and should have been expected by people who play it.

Anyway, I've been trying to get a new force army script to work (just because I like the direction the game is going doesn't mean i shouldn't provide tools to bypass the natural flow of things) for a couple years now and there's been no luck.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 10:42:35 am »

Ah, in my time away I forgot how rude you were, Putnam.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 01:40:29 am »

Watching people repeatedly ask for Dwarf Fortress to be something it definitely isn't has rubbed me a bit raw on the issue.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 09:11:25 am »

Maybe the solution is to have toady set playermade forts to have a slightly higher priority than other sites? Can't really think of a roleplaying reason to justify that, but it should still allow the "Real armies" piece to stay. All that's really needed is something to make the enemies pick your fort when they send their armies out

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 03:02:37 pm »

In my experience it can take about 3-4 years for sieges to arrive in worst case scenarios. Give it a least that long before you give up.

If you want them to arrive sooner, start in smaller worlds with denser civs and don't run the world for more than 100 years.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod