Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Update 1.12 - Water/Magma Aquifer spawning and good thoughts with games!  (Read 12529 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

::: Current version: V.1.13 - Updated 29th July 2016 - For DF.43.03 :::
::: The MDF GUI requires Microsofts .NET-Framework 4.0 :::
::: Changelogs: V1.01 ::: V1.02 ::: V1.03 ::: V1.04 ::: V1.05 ::: V1.06 ::: V1.07 ::: V1.08 :::

::: If you like the content I produce and enjoy playing Masterwork, consider supporting it on Patreon. :::
::: It allows me to do regular updates and add more content more quickly. :::

::: Read up on future goals, vote on polls and make suggestions. :::
::: Or join community projects that add new mod content! :::

This week: Thought-influencing workshops for all races, a Succubi update and new water/magma abilities.

Water/Magmawells!

Good-thought workshops!

Succubi Update!
- New building, the glass shaper. You can make obsidian items if BOTH magma and water are under the workshop. More to come.
- Rearranged the fire shaper jobs.
- You can now make fire arrows and cover existing weapons with liquid fire.
- Frog demons have been given a strong damage resistance to compensate their lack of armor.

Notes: This week was a bit tough.

I first started looking at Warlocks/Necromancers and tried to come up with a new design, reading through the old manual to have a look at all the features they have in 34.11... slowly crossing almost everything off the list because they have to be redone or do not work at all in the new DF.

Then I had a try at Nagas, since Roses was doing some work on neat scripts, but here the AI got in my way... turns out 1/7 to 3/7 water still counts as "walking", and "swimming" in 4/7 to 7/7 water is something that even an amphibious fort member wouldnt do of free will. I then wanted to change their skin-materials (cool gem-encrusted scales anyone?), but it turned out that if I change it for one naga, it changes it for all nagas. So back to the drawing board.

Then I got a strange mood and decided to try my hand on Skaven, the warhammer ratmen. No idea where that came from, but I put in 2 full days of work before I got hampered by how seldomly civ-members now use interactions; the entire disease system wouldnt work, the high-tech weapons like warpfire-throwers and gas-grenades and all that... then I got crashes from trying to use a dfhack script that should target pets instead of the worker, which also doesnt work...

What I'm trying to sum up: Writing an entire race is nothing I could do in a week. Yet I'm doing weekly releases. I'm unsure if I should release something unfinished or not.

I'm also heading to the Alps next month, a little bike/mountaineering trip, so I'm not sure if I'll be available for weekly releases in August.

That brings us to the Patreon. 44 people decided support the mod by now, since I started the Patreon 13 weeks ago. (Which is actually far fewer people than I expected to be perfectly honest, considering the 13000 downloads in the same time :D ) So far I've always released on time, but in August I will set the Patreon to "per release" instead of "per month", that way people dont donate money if I dont manage to release anything. I'll still try for 1 update at least. I hope this is ok with everyone.

Future of the mod: New poll about weekly vs non-weekly and finished vs unfinished releases.

Cheers,
Meph
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:19:27 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile

...Toys already had a use. Children claim them for use in the "playing" social activity.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

...Toys already had a use. Children claim them for use in the "playing" social activity.
While I'd like to claim that I wrote this because I finally gave the player control over the use of toys and a positive effect from them; yet I have to admit that I had no idea that children play with toys. Or that there are social activities besides parties and marriages.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:07:08 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

While I'd like to claim that I wrote this because I finally gave the player control over the use of toys and a positive effect from them; yet I have to admit that I had no idea that children play with toys. Or that there are social activities besides parties and marriages.
I haven't seen a party since the addition of taverns. I know for sure On Break has gone away for good. I think both have been replaced by the new tavern and temple activities.

Also, I'd say the happiness workshops are a tad redundant, since I've seen a lot of people (and this is my experience as well) complain that it's actually pretty damn hard to get a tantrum spiral. Tavern activities and booze make people extremely happy, all the time.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh my god. If you actually add skaven to this mod my life will be complete (yes yes! man-thing must work-code to make ready for  when Skaven will steal-conquer the surface and kill-enslave stupid man-things)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

So does this mean the updates will slow down enough to permit a story fort without feeling like it's missing stuff?

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For Boltgun:

The description under the succubi building "Glass Shaper" for an obsidian two-handed sword says it's a bundle of arrows.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

For Boltgun:

The description under the succubi building "Glass Shaper" for an obsidian two-handed sword says it's a bundle of arrows.

This is fixed for next friday, thank you.

RedKef

• Escaped Lunatic
  • It has exterior ribs and undulates rhythmically.
    • View Profile

As an algorithmist(not a word), I would suggest splitting your time between new races/major changes and bugfixes/minor changes at a rate of 25-50% Major and 50-75% Minor. In fact, 33% major and 66% minor is my bet on optimum efficiency. That way you can continue keeping the release schedule stable (good job on that btw!)and still make big race-sized updates once in a while.

Regardless, you'll be getting my hundred halfway through august. Thanks for the neat work!
Ex Vestigus

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile

I haven't seen a party since the addition of taverns. I know for sure On Break has gone away for good. I think both have been replaced by the new tavern and temple activities.

Also, I'd say the happiness workshops are a tad redundant, since I've seen a lot of people (and this is my experience as well) complain that it's actually pretty damn hard to get a tantrum spiral. Tavern activities and booze make people extremely happy, all the time.

Perhaps some reversals are in order, I mean, nobody is going to run a reaction that does nothing but upset the worker; but it could make an interesting side-effect for when the "harder ___" settings get put back in. Like adding disgust and frustration to the tanner and smelter reactions from working around the fumes etc.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

grotball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That brings us to the Patreon. 44 people decided support the mod by now, since I started the Patreon 13 weeks ago. (Which is actually far fewer people than I expected to be perfectly honest, considering the 13000 downloads in the same time :D ) So far I've always released on time, but in August I will set the Patreon to "per release" instead of "per month", that way people dont donate money if I dont manage to release anything. I'll still try for 1 update at least. I hope this is ok with everyone.

Have to say I'm torn on this one. You're pulling together content of other modders here, I would hope they share in (the paltry) donations so far, and the coders that have put together the UI/images/sounds etc. I suspect unless the donaters are independent wealthy toadlets, that might detract from donations to the greater toad.

There's also the "tralalala I'm off to the Alps for a while, please donate money to me" factor... you don't sound like you need the cash, to be quite honest.

Not to detract from the work you've done though - I think it is good and this .12 release is looking pretty good to me. I'll donate a bit, but I'll donate a bit more to the toad.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

There's also the "tralalala I'm off to the Alps for a while, please donate money to me" factor... you don't sound like you need the cash, to be quite honest.
Meph is in Germany, it's entirely possible that the Alps are within easy biking range :)

Every modder has a life outside of DF, even if it's just attending school... some modders just don't mention it and seem to go off the grid for a while.  At least here you get a heads-up.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

You're pulling together content of other modders here
All of them wanted their content in the mod; a lot more modders want their content in there too, I spoke to at least 10, but did not find the time to incorporate their additions.

Despite all the content by other modders, the vast majority is still written by me.

There's also the "tralalala I'm off to the Alps for a while, please donate money to me" factor...
Which is why I will put the Patreon to "per release". If I dont mod, the patrons are not charged, so no money is being donated while I'm away. That is the entire reason for that extra paragraph above.

you don't sound like you need the cash, to be quite honest.
If I'd need the money from DF to survive, I'd be doing something horribly wrong considering the country I live in atm. I put several thousand hours of work into this project over the course of 5 years. So far I earned 225$ due to Patreon (in 13 weeks), which is about as much as I'd earn working 2 days for minimum wage in Germany. I still like the idea of the Patreon, I was hoping that it gets to ~500$ (which I posted publicly when I first got the idea) over the course of 1 year, which would allow me to ditch another of my income sources that requires time. I dont make a lot of money, but I do have a lot of free time, which I value more.

I'll not be cycling the entire way to the Alps, (only 400km for fun), in fact I did buy train tickets. 19€, Munich to Geneva. I'll be camping on the mountains. The entire trip will only cost me the food I eat and 38€ for the train rides. The rest of the transport is hiking and cycling, the accomodation camping and couchsurfing, and there are no permits or visas I'd have to buy to visit Switzerland and France. I estimate to spend about 300€ for the tour, which lasts 3 weeks.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile

I'll not be cycling the entire way to the Alps, (only 400km for fun), in fact I did buy train tickets. 19€, Munich to Geneva. I'll be camping on the mountains. The entire trip will only cost me the food I eat and 38€ for the train rides. The rest of the transport is hiking and cycling, the accomodation camping and couchsurfing, and there are no permits or visas I'd have to buy to visit Switzerland and France. I estimate to spend about 300€ for the tour, which lasts 3 weeks.
I hope you have fun, it sounds like a really cool trip.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

dementia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fresh download, unzipped with 7zip then windows defender quarantines these two programs. It might just be because the way the programs function is similar to malware because of the way they access, and potentially edit memory, but I'm not sure. I thought I would create a post here to clarify.

Windows 10 64bit

Trojan:Win32/Rundas!plock
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Trojan:Win32/Maltule.C!cl
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2