Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What Weapon Do You Usually Use?  (Read 8052 times)

Arcturus

• Bay Watcher
  • Busy Being Worshiped By Alien Pagans
    • View Profile
Re: What Weapon Do You Usually Use?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2016, 12:32:03 am »

I use Kisat Dur and random objects like socks for fun. It's the fastest way to train yourself to a +100 legendary fighter and after a certain point your bare hands are more effective than weapons because you can also disable your opponent with wrestling.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 09:43:24 am »

Spears. Excellent for killing off big opponents. Their high penetration also gives them good nerve damage, even on "Quick" strikes. Also, hit a bone, hostile collapses; headshots are even more effective. However, without an attack range, they're not as effective as they really could be - if you could hold someone off a tile, disabling their weapons, you'd be unstoppable.
However, spears only down opponents effectively; killing blows are harder. On fat things like rocs, you almost have to bleed them out. Which took a few minutes, but really, once down, the battle's over.
Bring a shield. Dangit, I didn't, and now I've got to leave this dragon in its cave to go get one. Because my blasted companions have a masterwork copper shield and a high-quality iron, and they won't trade me unless I give them all my armor (I'm Human, they're Dwarves, so it doesn't FIT THEM!), I can't get one off them. So I've got to go off to a Hillock and ask there ... ah well.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 10:47:16 am »

Spears. Excellent for killing off big opponents. Their high penetration also gives them good nerve damage, even on "Quick" strikes. Also, hit a bone, hostile collapses; headshots are even more effective. However, without an attack range, they're not as effective as they really could be - if you could hold someone off a tile, disabling their weapons, you'd be unstoppable.
However, spears only down opponents effectively; killing blows are harder. On fat things like rocs, you almost have to bleed them out. Which took a few minutes, but really, once down, the battle's over.
Bring a shield. Dangit, I didn't, and now I've got to leave this dragon in its cave to go get one. Because my blasted companions have a masterwork copper shield and a high-quality iron, and they won't trade me unless I give them all my armor (I'm Human, they're Dwarves, so it doesn't FIT THEM!), I can't get one off them. So I've got to go off to a Hillock and ask there ... ah well.

From what I've heard, shields don't work against dragonfire anymore. They get vaporized along with the rest of you.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2016, 04:46:20 pm »

Wooden shields are safe to use versus dragonfire. Optimally, you don't want any metal on you or on the tile you're standing on when interacting in the presence of dragonfire, with perhaps the exception of your weapon.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:50:26 pm by peasant cretin »

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2016, 05:34:49 pm »

I'm in 40.24, so that might be different with the melting shields; but I thought dragonfire was getting buffed in a coming update?
Oh well, another reason to put off updating. I'd rather capture dragons, THEN have them melt goblins to puddles. Because I don't want dwarf-puddles.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2016, 05:45:28 pm »

From what I've heard, shields don't work against dragonfire anymore. They get vaporized along with the rest of you.

They do actually, but a shield can't block an incoming attack and dragonfire simultaneously. ergo, if you're trying to block the dragon's scratching, and it breaths fire, you won't block the fire.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2016, 05:45:40 pm »

Shield protect you partially against dragonfire. Sometimes, it doesn't work (and then you are dead).
If you are in front of the dragon and its dragonfire and you are moving forward, it seems to blocks.

Apart from that, I use Kisat Dur. And I keep generally many weapons in my inventory to throw spears or axes to distant enemies.

Draximo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2016, 10:35:02 pm »

Kisat Dur is really effective with my vampire mooseman. I can usually explode a normal human's upper body and send them flying with a couple of well placed kicks with my hooves. I like swords for the slashing and stabbing, although great axes are another contender. Sometimes I just dual wield a gold human statue and a platinum gilamonster man statue for the lulz.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2016, 01:04:38 am »

They do actually, but a shield can't block an incoming attack and dragonfire simultaneously. ergo, if you're trying to block the dragon's scratching, and it breaths fire, you won't block the fire.

Yeah, your character just has to go with passive/auto-defense. Let the AI do the blocking for your character and everything works out. You can actively/manually choose to dodge if you want, but passive/auto-dodge works just as well.

In fact, passive/auto-dodge is actually pretty wonderful if you have your combat preferences set to stand ground/stand ground. You see it happen when the combat log shows that attack missing you. And this happens without the 6 tick cost from dodging to another tile.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2016, 01:32:35 am »

Ranged weapons seem to be pretty terrible without stealth, since the game paralyzes you until your projectile lands.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2016, 02:29:50 am »

Ranged weapons seem to be pretty terrible without stealth, since the game paralyzes you until your projectile lands.

Stealth definitely helps of course. Not sure outside of RP, why you wouldn't be in perpetual sneak mode in combat. Sneak lets you see vision fields.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 02:32:04 am by peasant cretin »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2016, 11:40:08 am »

Well, all those vision cones can become confusing and infuriating in a melee with multiple creatures.

As far as favorite weapons, Halberds are pretty useful having both the ability to chop things up about as well as any other axe and stab like a sword or spear. Pickaxes are also good against most foes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2016, 08:20:01 pm »

True. I do turn it off when dealing with multiples. It can get crazy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]