Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: So my friend says there are no normal people playing df...  (Read 26319 times)

Nisper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So my friend says there are no normal people playing df...
« on: July 30, 2016, 07:32:11 am »

My friend says that all df players are 13 to 14 or lone programmers...I need to show him a proof "normal" people play this game...Any help?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: So my friend says there are no normal people playing df...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 08:12:04 am »

Do you not count or what?

crundle

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 08:16:46 am »

Asking for "normal" people on bay12? Thats some optimism right there :D

Anyway, as a "lone programmer" i probably cant help you with that.

Df isn't "normal", its !!normal!! :)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 08:27:37 am »

What is a lone programmer though?

Clearly, having friends doesn't prevent one from being one.

Nor does actually having no programming language experience or knowledge.

(I think we can safely ignore the other category of 13-14 year olds.)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 08:28:20 am »

But I'm curious why they believe the demographic is 13 to 14 year olds. And a follow up question for OP, what age are "normal" people if 13 to 14 year olds aren't included? All ages above?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 08:29:26 am »

And below, of course. 13-14 year olds must take a break from DF to follow Justin Bieber or whatever is hot these days.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 08:34:01 am »

My friend says that all df players are 13 to 14 or lone programmers...I need to show him a proof "normal" people play this game...Any help?
I'm not 13-14 nor a lone programmer, but I'm homosexual so I'm not sure if I count as normal, but it depends on your friend's perception of normal.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 08:47:20 am »

You really need to tell your friend, that there's no such thing called "normal people". That's a misconception - everyone is an individuality.
Instead of trying to show him a proof "normal" people play DF, show him a proof that all the people that play DF are different (and that happens with all things).

Being normal is really a perception issue.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 08:49:05 am »

You really need to tell your friend, that there's no such thing called "normal people". That's a misconception - everyone is an individuality.
Instead of trying to show him a proof "normal" people play DF, show him a proof that all the people that play DF are different (and that happens with all things).

Being normal is really a perception issue.
I mean people who take the time to think about that aren't normal. :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 09:47:01 am »

Friends have stupid opinions sometimes. Just smile and nod.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 12:30:42 pm »

Heterosexual male or female is indeed normal, by definition. That said, I am hetero male, in my late 30's, and an environmental scientist by education and degree.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 02:22:56 pm »

This always bugs me.

I'm not brilliant. I can write a smidge of code. I do linguistics pretty well but I'm shit at mathematics.

And when I hear people, for example Chris Delay of Introversion Software, say stuff like DF's UI is `impenetrable`, I just have to go "What?" I have all the respect for Chris Delay but it just seems kind of...lazy to say that about DF's GUI and all the systems going on it. The UI is ugly and unhelpful but it's not rocket science. I spent about a day with a wiki article and that got me about 70% of the way toward learning to play DF. That and about half a dozen forts before I learned the things that help make the kind of fort I wanted to run. I single out Delay specifically because they just put out a Prison Architect update where they spend a decent amount of time referencing DF, because the two games are so alike. Similarly my roommate, who is way more of a FPS gamer than he is anything else, is totally hooked on Rimworld. Which is also like PA and DF, just without the scope.

For me the truth is I just got so inspired by DF stories that learning the game to my own satisfaction became important to me, to the degree I did the learning necessary to achieve fun. It didn't take superhuman effort, it wasn't complicated. It doesn't take autism levels of focus to learn. You just have to be able to read, be willing to experiment and be patient.

I think people just often don't say what they really mean when it comes to DF: it's a lot of work to play a video game. Even when you know how to play it, managing all the details is work. Enjoyable work, for those that like DF. What I get out of the hours spent setting things up is rewarding. It made the initial investment of time and understanding worthwhile, mostly because I know it well enough I don't have to completely relearn the game. (Other than, you know, new systems, and constantly having to relearn which keys are different between screens.)

Something a friend of mine once said to me a while back when I first got into DF and I started regaling him with tales of it. "Dude, I wish I was 14 again and had all the time in the world to become master of playing DF. I just don't have anywhere near that kind of time anymore."

Some people simply have the inclination to spend hours and hours on a single game thinking things through and learning as much as doing. A lot of people don't.

If there's one thing that stops me from playing DF more, it's the half day or so of downloading mods for it. I could probably get away with just Dwarf Therapist and a tileset if I'm honest, but there's just too much other good stuff out there to pass on. But that's really no different than when I decide to play Skyrim, for example, where I'll spend at least the better part of a day assembling a mod list and getting them all installed and working.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 02:29:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 06:03:43 pm »

I'm a 28, Male, Heterosexual white guy that does blue collar work and doesn't do any programming, and I love DF (along with other similar minded games). I'm pretty sure my existence takes a dump all over your friends opinion.

LordKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 07:23:35 pm »

Ugh, those non-df players are just prejudiced against us. Normies I call them. Fithy elvish-y human normies.

:P

Seriously though, I play DF and I am a 27 year old non-programmer who is somewhat normal-ish (I think...)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 07:23:50 pm »

Well, I'm a fifteen year old lone programmer. Does that help?

EDIT: ....Well, I guess I actually have a team now instead of doing random lone projects,actually. That's still so weird to think about.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11