Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: So my friend says there are no normal people playing df...  (Read 26339 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So my friend says there are no normal people playing df...
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 10:48:26 pm »

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:37:49 pm by Taffer »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 10:58:29 pm »

I think you should expose your friend yourself. :P If they want proof, they've to challenge their own stereotypes or generalizations.

Really wondering where they got that idea. Although, programming at that age--for me anyway--is pretty awesome!

Ooo, edit: Maybe you can bring your friend to make an account here to discover for themselves. :) B12 is pretty diverse, and open-minded for the most part.
Young folks these days. :P What with the normalcy of what they've been experiencing. It's a perceptual thing.

Jest aside, I'm 22 (grr, 21 until last July 5), and a psychology student in her 4th year of college who has never tried programming in her life--modding, YES, however, and has deeply delved into the inner mechanisms of DF. Also a part-time writer and digital artist.

Heterosexual male or female is indeed normal, by definition. That said, I am hetero male, in my late 30's, and an environmental scientist by education and degree.
I think you mean the commonality, actually. :P There is no difference of what defines 'normal' in hetero/homosexuality if you talk about the sexuality in itself. The perception of 'normal' also is influenced by many things, some of which are 'how common do I see this. o_o'
Really guessing your friend (OP), assumes programmers because of how DF looks. ASCII = progamming? :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:23:14 am by Tiruin »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 01:48:40 am »

I'm normal

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 05:43:16 am »

I am absolutely *BZZZRT* normal, I can assure you of *ZZZRRRT* that.

(sparks fly from my neck as my head swivels uncannily)

Look at it this way - some guy wants to define normal, ok whatever go ahead, but that same guy ALWAYS insists that he should be included in that definition of normality. He is *in*, and whomever he deems weird or strange or slightly awkward suddenly falls *out.* This can be an extremely violent process if his definition aligns with a majority's opinion, and that majority suddenly decides that only 'normal' people deserve a 'normal' life. You should be a little suspicious of people trying to create a binary for something as complex as human personality. Now get this, the biggest irony of it all - it's biologically normal for humans to create these ingroups.

Whatever you do, DON'T mention Dwarven Daycare without first explaining the basic premise of DF. Discussing the cost/benefit of certain babymurder-machines can get you some weird looks if they don't know to expect that sort of thing.

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 06:00:57 am »

Well I'm not 13 or 14, I'm 15. Take that OP's Friend.
Although i have done some programming on Scratch(Website), But that doesn't count right?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 09:57:41 am »

Hi!

I'm in my 30's, a college professor, and the most programming I've ever done was when I was ten, I wrote a BASIC program to make a LEGO merry-go-round work.  Normal?  Doesn't exist.  *shrugs*

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 10:09:25 am »

I'm 35, married, with one daughter and another coming. I work with I.T. but I don't code (just some small scripts here and there). You can say people like me are common, but what is normal?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 12:51:43 pm »

I remember being normal back before middle school. Heady, carefree days, we didn't yet know that the awful fashions of the 80's would be made to look so much less awkward by the awful frumpiness of the grunge era, there were some nerds jabbering here and there in magazines (which were like websites on these weird flexible screens with atrocious framerates and fairly low resolution) about the stuff taking place on networked computers, and plans to set up a great big one which anybody could use to, I dunno, download midi files and trade silly jokes?

Ah, but then I made that great mistake and turned 13.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 01:54:52 pm »

I'm completely normal aside for lighting the occasional kid on fire while whittling human bone dioramas of Jesus surfing on the back of a shaved Gorilla while injecting heroine into his testicles.

Mmmm, shaved Gorillas.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:21:11 am by Melting Sky »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 01:58:07 pm »

I'm a 17 year old non-programmer and what is this

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 02:08:59 pm »

What is a lone programmer though?
He* wears a mask, is a white hat hacker, is best friends with an indian (either kind!) and can shoot down a bug in a project three Git repositories away whilst dealing justice to with black hats.

* It's always a 'he', naturally. That's one of tham thar immutibles...

PS, I'm antiparallel, not normal.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:12:16 pm by Starver »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 02:13:57 pm »

Do you not count or what?

I would guess not. I don't think this thread is going to prove that Dwarf Fortress players are normal people. Maybe if we each bring a normal friend or two to the next Dwarf Moot, then we can fool people into thinking that lots of normal people play the game.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 02:25:09 pm »

As you grow older, you may notice that some people try to live stereotypes.  These are people for instance, who think all girls must like pink and ponies and boys must like trucks and the color blue.  They live their lives based on what Oprah or "insert_popular_social_media_person" says.  These people are the real world equivalent of peasants and NPC's.

Sentience is not an absolute.  There are various grades of sentience, and you should probably take a solid look at your friend and decide if he is the sort of person you want to shackle yourself with.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 09:44:58 pm »

And if your friend is fun or helpful, you totally should!

(My pride would demand to not be insulted, but that's up to you, really.)

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 11:15:42 pm »

Your friend is an idiot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11